IGNORED

Do you eat a lot of meat ?

Lucas

Earth entering new faux Vegetarian Phase.

Also, have you met Jev?

Check my signature and you'll find the answer to that.

I actually agree with him on a lot, but not everything (namely his atheism). He's too much of a hardcore anti-natalist for me to support his beliefs, though.

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most people don't eat meat for the nutrition it provides. Meat is a tremendously nutrient dense food.

Unfortunately it's just another treat in people's daily glutenous routine of eating whatever the fuck they get their hands on.

Perhaps millions of cows die to feed the mouths of Bob Slobs everywhere who are destined to be T2 diabetic at 30 anyway, further clogging up our healthcare system.

Most people don't eat meat for the nutrition it provides. Meat is a tremendously nutrient dense food.

Unfortunately it's just another treat in people's daily glutenous routine of eating whatever the fuck they get their hands on.

Perhaps millions of cows die to feed the mouths of Bob Slobs everywhere who are destined to be T2 diabetic at 30 anyway, further clogging up our healthcare system.

My abstinence from beef and pork as well as very minimal soda consumption might be why I'm 30 now but still diabeetus-free. That and I only drink coffee black.

I'd recommend being a vegetarian though, it's cool being able to say what's happening to sheep without feeling guilty.

eating meat is not a sign of guilt imo, one can be an omnivore and disdain/campaign against cruel farming practices at the same time.

eating meat is not inherently wrong.

I don't see people any less moral for merely consuming meat. It's the widespread practices by which that meat is mass-produced that is, for lack of a better word...evil. I respect meat suppliers that adopt more humane practices though, particularly thru banning battery cages for chickens and gestation crates for mother pigs. But obviously going hunting out in the wild is the most natural way to obtain your meat, to which I do not object.

I'd recommend being a vegetarian though, it's cool being able to say what's happening to sheep without feeling guilty.

eating meat is not a sign of guilt imo, one can be an omnivore and disdain/campaign against cruel farming practices at the same time.

why not? you're causing suffering/terminate the existence of another being for your enjoyment, seems pretty wrong by definition. even if you go bow and arrow hunting in the woods you still do that.

the only morally unproblematic way of eating meat that i can see is eating naturally deceased animals, your dead pets for example, as hilariously horrible as it sounds...

why not? you're causing suffering/terminate the existence of another being for your enjoyment, seems pretty wrong by definition. even if you go bow and arrow hunting in the woods you still do that.

the only morally unproblematic way of eating meat that i can see is eating naturally deceased animals, your dead pets for example, as hilariously horrible as it sounds...

not everyone just eats meat for pleasure alone. not everyone subscribes to the theory that humans fare best on a diet of only plants.

ok but it doesn't even really matter, you still cause suffering to others by doing it, regardless how much you like/don't like meat.

it also doesn't matter what's best for humans, that's not the element that makes it more or less moral.

read the rules.

ok but it doesn't even really matter, you still cause suffering to others by doing it, regardless how much you like/don't like meat.

it also doesn't matter what's best for humans, that's not the element that makes it more or less moral.

read the rules.

some would consider that a necessary evil.

but lets not turn a blind eye to the destruction caused by large-scale crop production. it has massive environmental consequences for habitat and wildlife. yet there's thousands upon thousands of naive veggietards screaming "meat is murder!" while they smile and gobble down their grocery haul.

we were born into a life cycle, and yes it's often cruel. if the issue were "can we do better?" then yes i'm all for that. but what are you trying to prove by harping on people for caring about their own quality of life? don't pretend you're a shining light of morality while eating your supermarket salad. very, very few people go out of their way to only consume foods which are sustainable and minimize the impact their diet has on pain-sensing organisms.

animal meat doesn't replace it though, you need large scale crops to feed the animals as well. pretty sure that you lose a lot of energy in that process by having to feed animals that are later converted to food for people.

one's quality of life shouldn't impede others', that's pretty clear when it comes to inter-human relationships by now, the next step is applying this to relationships with other species. at least vegans try to think about those issues and try to do something about it.

read the rules.

some would consider that a necessary evil.

but lets not turn a blind eye to the destruction caused by large-scale crop production. it has massive environmental consequences for habitat and wildlife. yet there's thousands upon thousands of naive veggietards screaming "meat is murder!" while they smile and gobble down their grocery haul.

we were born into a life cycle, and yes it's often cruel. if the issue were "can we do better?" then yes i'm all for that. but what are you trying to prove by harping on people for caring about their own quality of life? don't pretend you're a shining light of morality while eating your supermarket salad. very, very few people go out of their way to only consume foods which are sustainable and minimize the impact their diet has on pain-sensing organisms.

you're a bit nasty for a mushroom, eh!

also i don't think eating meat is a "necessity" in most of the first world. in fact, the moment i became a vegetarian, i was standing in front of my empty fridge thinking i hadn't had meat for 3 weeks because it's so damn expensive, so i realised i might as well become a vegetarian now that i'd seen it would be easy. and so i became a vegetarian. this was i think in 2008-ish, maybe 2007.

animal meat doesn't replace it though, you need large scale crops to feed the animals as well. pretty sure that you lose a lot of energy in that process by having to feed animals that are later converted to food for people.

one's quality of life shouldn't impede others', that's pretty clear when it comes to inter-human relationships by now, the next step is applying this to relationships with other species. at least vegans try to think about those issues and try to do something about it.

You'd rarely get grain grown just for animal feed. They generally use it for beer or spirit production then use it to feed animals.

It'd be expensive as fuck to feed animals on 1st use grain unless it was really really shitty grain. Also higher grade meats are majority grass fed.

I'm with eugene here, animal products are still consistently in my diet (at least one meal a day contains them I'd guess), but logically I'm more and more convinced that exploiting animals just isn't compatible at all with what most reasonable people would agree is good or desirable.

Goddammit people just fry everything in bacon fat

Pork is out, for me. Especially seeing footage of one of the pork farm workers slamming live piglets to a concrete floor til they bleed out.

I was gonna refrain from going into details at first, but fuck it.

Less than most Texans and Americans but still a fair amount. I like BBQ still but I'm not big on steaks and burgers unless it's a nice proper restaurant. Been trying to not eat fast food as much, though at my work I get it for free when I do the lunch pickup for the office. There are days though when I do go meat-less, instead having thai and ramen style noodles with basil I grow or couscous. I can literally eat coconut black beans and rice without getting tired of it. My wife is an amazing cook.

In the last few years I've def eaten more pork and chicken than beef, especially stuff like chorizo or even fried gizzard on occasion. I must admit I ought to stop eating beef, considering how it's so ecologically inefficient compared to other meat. When I was out in the field I often packed cheap tuna instead of lunch meat. I usually get eggs from my parents who raise some on the side. I eat fruit and vegetables a lot (unlike many of my co-workers, it's yogurt, granola, and fruit for me in the morning, not greasy tacos or sausage and eggs).

i was convinced i was a "nah, it's ok, i'm just like that" type of vegetarian but ::yesterday i saw some raw chicken meat on a youtube advert:: and i was genuinely shocked and A P P A L L E D

bloody hell how can you eat this shit

4579724875.jpg

i was convinced i was a "nah, it's ok, i'm just like that" type of vegetarian but ::yesterday i saw some raw chicken meat on a youtube advert:: and i was genuinely shocked and A P P A L L E D

bloody hell how can you eat this shit

4579724875.jpg

Usually grilled or stir-fried. A little soy-sauce, a little garlic, yum yum.

i have had raw chicken before, in Japan. Not bad at all.

Archived