IGNORED

Unleash Your Headphones' True Potential

Joyrex

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most of the laptops I've had give pretty crap sound quality from the headphone jack. So, I just use USB audio interface to listen to music when I'm at my home desk. You can get pretty decent one with about 150e.

I'm pretty wary of anything sold as audiophile equipment. There's loads of bullshit going around in the hifi community.

yeah, there's definitely some truth in there but it's only a big deal and worth doing if you're genuinely disappointed with the sound output of your device. if you've never worried about it until now then i wouldn't bother.

also, if you're a music-maker and have any kind of half decent soundcard/audio interface then you don't need a specific headphone amp as the audio interface does the same thing broadly speaking.

I wanted some form of headphone amp for my AKG headphones as they where a bit too quiet when taken on a train or such. I was told that I had to invest at least 100 euro if I want a proper mobile amp. This makes me wonder if the cheap ones in the article are really worth it

Yeah an external audio interface is definitely better than a supplied one especially on a laptop. If you've ever heard a squiggley noise whilst working on headphones even when you're not producing an sound it's a result of a lack of electrical isolation between your headphone jack and the rest of the machine.

You also get (as the article suggests) better quality gain without things starting to go all crunchy. If you get decent headphones they tend to have quite a high impedance meaning you have to turn volume levels up, and sometimes cheap laptops can't give adequate gain.

For music makes there's obviously additional benefits by having a dedicated audio interface - Powered inputs for mics etc, lower latency (delay from when audio goes in to audio coming out) and more outputs for doing things like surround sound and routing to mixing desks etc.

So yeah, they're not just an audiophile thing - they are actually a worthwhile purchase....

However if you are just a listener rather than a music maker:

it's only a big deal and worth doing if you're genuinely disappointed with the sound output of your device. if you've never worried about it until now then i wouldn't bother.

Well, I just have some cheap 10USD Logitec USB-powered speakers hooked to my MBP that's doing desk duty since my iMac's power supply bit the dust, and they sound pretty good (I was actually impressed at how good these speakers sound and their range compared to most shitty 10USD computer speakers, and the fact they are USB powered without having to add yet another AC block to my already overloaded powerstrip was a bonus).

If anyone's interested in them, here they are:

31J7P1Y4urL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Stereo-Speaker-Z110-980-000522/dp/B0050JS1QG/ref=sr_1_24?ie=UTF8&qid=1334933828&sr=8-24

ipod touch/iphones and other mobile phones like sony or nokia have pretty much the same sound quality so anything more than £20 on headphones is a waste especially with 192kbs mp3's or lower

the fiio stuff is good if you want more from your ipod or need to drive larger cans

The DAC's and top end media players do have a substaintial sound quality over regular mp3 players but you'll have to match this with better phones (like balanced armature in ear £40-100) and higher fidelity material like 320kbs mp3's or FLAC however Cowon do come with BBE and other sound enhancement that can work wonders with lower bitrate mp3's.

There is some poncey portable audiophile stuff about but thats normally for retired buisnessmen listening to prog rock on grado headphones.

for portable use i reccomend a cowon j3 with Soundmagic PL50's and for PC use i reccomend a novation Nio and some AKG518's (with the foam cut out) or those shiney £50 Creative cans that are basically £90 Denons with a different badge.

I use an Apogee Duet as a DAC and external headphone amplifier, and the sound quality is much better than out of my laptop (or iphone, or ipod) headphone out. I also use the Duet to drive active near-field monitors.

But there are caveats:

-if you're listening to shitty quality mp3 files you will not notice a difference

-if you're listening on $20 headphones you won't notice a difference

garbage in, garbage out, basically.

Most of the audiophile world is prone to drowning in snake oil, but that doesn't mean there aren't solid gains to be made with a little investment if you subjectively enjoy it. But if someone is trying to sell you silver cable upgrades for $250.00 or something, run away.

I love my Sennheiser HD-650s -- the control and resolution and tonal balance are incredible. But they sound muddy and distant out of an iPod, because an iPod doesn't quite provide enough power to drive them well. It's not strictly about loudness: the biggest gain from driving them out of the Duet is clarity and balance and control.

I get a nice little boost in low-end control driving my Grado HF-2 headphones out of the duet, but not quite as drastic: the Grados have an impedance of only 32ohm, and they're easier to drive out of just about anything. They sound good out of an iPod. They sound better out of the Duet, but it's not as drastic and I doubt a casual listener would notice much more than a slight increase in bass impact and resolution.

Another note is that some headphones, say AKG K701s, are notoriously good at resolving defects in recordings. The Sennheiser HD-650s reveal shit quality recordings too, but they smooth things out a bit more. The Grados (almost any Grado) will make the recording sound fun and exciting. These are all high-value headphones, but there are different design philosophies at work. You can't just grab one blindly, plug it into some "quality" component, and expect to be blown away. You have to play an active role in selecting what sort of experience you're looking for when you get into mid-tier high-fi stuff.

But when you find what you're after it can be glorious.

That said, I think something like the Duet is a bit of a sweet spot: it's designed for pro-quality monitoring. It's not meant to cater to audiophiles. Audiophiles think $$$$ = quality, and will shape their listening experience to fit that worldview. The whole audiophlie market is there to make you feel good about shelling out $$$$. It's disgusting. But if you're savvy you can get great sound quality and avoid all of that bullshit.

edit: I should note that I didn't even get the Duet for use as a DAC/Amp for headphones -- it's "primary purpose" is as an I/O device for recording, so it has instrument cable and XLR Mic inputs. The thing is, Apogee's DACs -- even their kind of cheapish ones -- are unbelievably fucking good. Downside: it's OS X only.

Another note is that some headphones, say AKG K701s, are notoriously good at resolving defects in recordings.

A million times this. Yeah I'd in no way call myself an audiophile (I can't tell the difference between a [well encoded] mp3 and its lossless equivalent in the slightest) but since getting the 701s I can definitely hear the difference between something badly mixed and well mixed. I can also pick out flaws much easier in recordings but also appreciate more details in things that I couldn't in my previous phones.

But yeah, the a/v world is a scary world for bullshittery. Go to any home cinema stores and ask for an HDMI cable to see how far this bullshit has come on the highstreet.

Cool on the Duet. I'm in the market for a new interface and I primarily listen on headphones.

I would be wary of saying "any" recording interface has a good headphone amp. My MOTU Traveler's headphone jack sounds like shit. I think they really skimp on the quality there. It is loud though.

I know Bose can be hit or miss with some people, but I am loving my new QC15s. I upgraded from the AE2s

The sound canceling is lovely at university

I would be wary of saying "any" recording interface has a good headphone amp. My MOTU Traveler's headphone jack sounds like shit. I think they really skimp on the quality there. It is loud though.

Good catch, my point on the quality of the headphone amp is just limited to the Duet -- and I guess not even the Duet 2, since I haven't tried the newest model.

Incidentally, I've heard mixed things about the Fiio stuff in the OP; I'm guessing they work pretty well with good quality IEMs and low impedance 'phones but probably can't drive big Sennheisers or AKGs or Beyerdynamics quite so well. But I dunno.

i've got headphone fetish

I wonder how this guy would feel knowing I've fapped to his Grado HP-1000s.

ncr09_17.jpg

Those are basically my holy grail.

Guest CraniumXII

ncr09_17.jpg

MMmmyea... I have the SR325s, n' I find that they produce crystal clear frequencies. I do need a mobile amp for my laptop, cause the sound output is SHAIT. I wanted the Reference headphones, and although I'm very happy with my 325s... I do wish I had splurged a bit for the RS2is...

Obviously the goal is the professional series... They are beautiful :emb:

I have the HF-2s which are basically the limited pre-production version of the new PS-500s... I think I like them more than the RS1s, to be honest. They've got a bit more bass weight (at the expense of maybe a little less fine resolution). I definitely recommend trying out the HF-2/PS-500 if you ever see a pair.

I have these and sometimes I just sit there for hours just stunned of the quality the audio signal has:

SOQyd.jpg

but it all boils down to a good amp in the end

ncr09_17.jpg

you're amazing. If only i could have that kind of obsessive personality.

I use a Xonar Essence STX which has a great built-in headphone amp. I'd say it's certainly a noticable difference from the onboard output (using HD650s.)

Archived