Ufabulum, good, bad or meh?

azatoth

Ufabulum - Yay or Nay?  

265 members have voted

1. 1. What say you?

• Yay
    • Nay
    • Meh

What do you think Tom will go for next? I have no idea at this point, how will his next release sound like.

Jesus THAT'S the question........... at least with RDJ we got a sense of where he was heading with Analord/Tuss.......... BoC you can depend on for a certain sound and Autechre always deliver on the mindfuck off-kilter 30-listens-later-i -get-it golddust.

But TJ?

Whatever whim takes him that fucking day!

From most desirable to least for me

1. Warp20 tracks mastered and with a load of additions.. like Squarepusher's "Syro" if you will

2. Totally new material with electronics/bass and oh I dunno a Rhodes piano!

3. Go Plastic 2

4. Selections 1- 15

5. Selection 17

6. Hard Normal Mammy

6. Not any fucking robot silliness

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What do you think Tom will go for next? I have no idea at this point, how will his next release sound like.

Good question, I think he may ride the wave of popularity of Ufabulum and release something in the same vein. Maybe, maybe not....

I remember liking this album when it first came out. I even posted pics of it when I received it in the mail. FAded really fast afterwards... I changed my vote to NAE!

4001 is alright

but seriously what the fuck happened to this guy :(

where are the fucking vibes

909 bassdrums digitally distorted to farts hell no

I think the album is great, it's the production and drums that I don't like. Drax is literally ear damaging.

I know this makes me sound like a cunt, however - this is a mid-life crisis album, it was embarrassing when I saw him do it live.

Spot on :( I also went to see him live with my girlfriend. I remember apologising to her on the way home -'but his old stuff was so good'.

I know this makes me sound like a cunt, however - this is a mid-life crisis album, it was embarrassing when I saw him do it live.

Spot on :( I also went to see him live with my girlfriend. I remember apologising to her on the way home -'but his old stuff was so good'.

ahaha...

i disagree, i thought it was much better live. the tracks on the album however are much more polished and for that reason (for me) some lose their bite.

in terms of the album as a whole i felt that there were some very strong tracks on there. however, it's not a "listen from beginning to end album".

i like that he experiments as an artist (god knows you need to do that), but some of the influences oh this album are not really up my street.

so to summarise, yes it's good... but it's not his best work.

lol, exactly. I brought all my friends to Squarepusher, some of which never heard of him. Had to explain that 'normally he does pick up his bass more at a show', and then he only played tracks from this album. Such a dissapointment, but I'm glad I got to see him during the JAS tour with the drummer, I thought that was brilliant.

lol, exactly. I brought all my friends to Squarepusher, some of which never heard of him. Had to explain that 'normally he does pick up his bass more at a show', and then he only played tracks from this album. Such a dissapointment, but I'm glad I got to see him during the JAS tour with the drummer, I thought that was brilliant.

YEESSSSS!

Also the set he did for the Japan Benefit show was fucking deece.

When I used to do teppan yaki in Florida around 2000 (which is that Japanese cooking on a hot plate thing, which in non-Japan is full of tricks and shit), I was talking to a customer whilst cooking for him, about my music and how I was sending demos to Astralwerks and Warp at the time. And he was like, "Do you know Squarepusher?", and I was like, "Yes!!!", and he was like, "He's amazing, huh?!", and I was like, "Totally."

This really happened. The point is, it's a real "of the time period" conversation, because I can't imagine such a conversation nowadays without the sidenote of "well, Squarepusher's early work, anyway..."

• 1 month later...

My opinion of this album over time has gone from Good (When it came out) to Meh (After a few months and nothing really lasting in my head) to just Bad (Looking back on it). I mean, there's a couple good bits here and there (303 Scopem, Metallugist, Dark Steering) but a lot of the first half of the album just sounds awful to me in retrospect. ESPECIALLY Unreal Square - that may be his worst track.

But I still have faith! You can't change your style for every album and expect them all to be great.

I don't get the Unreal Square hate. Yeah the tune is a tad cheesy, but the first half of Unreal Square might be my fav bit of the album. For me it's Dark Steering that's unlistenably cheesy.

First and last tracks are my favourites

Archived