1. 1. What say you?

• Yay
    • Nay
    • Meh

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the restraint buildup from 4001, it reminds me of that classic IDM sound. the eurotrance chords after that - not so much

When Vangelis got the Yamaha CS-80 he made the Blade Runner film score, when Squarepusher got the Yamaha CS-80 he made fucking Ufabulum.

lol

• 4 weeks later...
Guest bitroast

"I could be accused of laziness in having used it so often, and I have actually repeatedly said to myself: 'I'm not using it any more.' I recall saying that as far back as 1998, when I did Music Is Rotted One Note. Then later I found myself thinking: 'Mmm, mmm, I need that sound.' It is like a drum machine. The degrees of freedom are maybe not as extensive, but it has scope, it has reference points, just like a TR909 has a reference point: it was the mainstay in all the late‑'80s Chicago house and Euro techno in the '90s. The Amen break has its own references, and if you are happy to abuse them, all well and good. Nowadays I am not as happy to make those references, and since Hello Everything I officially don't use the Amen break anymore.”

providing link just to 100% prove i am not making this up lol http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/may11/articles/sqpshr.htm

On Unreal Square....a lot of of folks hate this but the second half is pure excellence i reckon... i get that the first half is a cheesy build-up to the craziness about to be unleashed... but it is a bit too cheesy maybe and so annoys a lot of folks. The end makes it worth it though - just!

Archived