IGNORED

Rare AFX Blog

Guest aeioux

Never heard of the "Pussylicker" mashup ? M83/Aphex & another singer, interesting for its first part, could fit in cover/remixes section I think

Nice blog anyway, fine work

Never heard of the "Pussylicker" mashup ? M83/Aphex & another singer, interesting for its first part, could fit in cover/remixes section I think

Nice blog anyway, fine work

Haha, found it right on soundcloud. How funny is that! Well done mash-up.

4 u, but 4 me, it's the same thing : a lie 2 hide what? In what purpose?

maybe because he wants people to enjoy his music because purely of how good it is and not just because "omg its aphex twinnnnnn, this sounds so much better then if someone who isnt aphex twin made it", maybe because there are too many fanboys or something. i dont know, thats what my guess is.

UI Red is one of the earliest releases by Richard - 1989.

Released or produced in 89?

℗+© 1989. released in 1993.

I always wondered about that. I assumed it was Bradley's Beat or Analogue Bubblebath 1 otherwise. Did he just sit on those tracks the entire time? I will always be curious about the chronology of his early recordings - what he recorded first, whether or not he came back to certain projects before releasing them, etc. I'm curious what all factors lead to SAW1, Powerpill, Bubblebath and Bradley Strider being released before UI Red. Perhaps it just seemed appropriate to release the UI Red tracks with other hardcore records like the Caustic Window EPs and Mike Dred's UI work.

Guest Dr of Quantization

Nice thanks for the post. Reminds me of 'Surfing on Sine Waves' back in the day with all the unreleased and live show info. Just sad not to see the "kick ass violin solo" listed there under unreleased tracks. lmfao :duckhunt:

Guest aeioux

Just sad not to see the "kick ass violin solo" listed there under unreleased tracks. lmfao :duckhunt:

:cisfor: you said it!

Thanks for the live gig/dj set listing. Looking forward to mp3 links!!!!

Meanwhile here's a personal account of my intersection with a small percent of em

Not listed - 1997 I think - Rephlex Allstars Tour

He played "beep street" which was stunning, Billy Oceans "Get into my car", Chris Morris Lady Diana radio bit ..... and Cylob was dressed in a banana costume dancing for the whole gig on stage with other Rephlex crew. Fucking unreal. afterwards or before, Bogdan was pissed as a fart drinking vodka and crashing into his own gear.

Mental fucking shit.

1999 TBC - Olympia Theatre (Dublin, Ireland)

Was on #yogurts but clearly remember friends being pissed off that it wasn't a beat fest. In fact I have a (drug fueled ) memory of it being an ambient set - SAW 2 heavy. RDJ was invisible/off stage but a long-haired beardy guy was dancing on stage all the same doing cartwheels and stuff. Can't remember who supported but I keep meaning to FB-msg U:MAck who promoted a lot of warp artists in Ireland about this gig....

Good times!

2001.06.15 – Sonar Festival (Barcelona, Spain)

Lots of gabba/jungle. some of the heaviest I've ever heard. Squarepusher was meant to play after or before but did a no-show. Again my mates couldn't handle the sound .. the the noise this time . Again, I was off me tits on pills. I'll lash the full mp3s on youtube one of these days...

It was a bloody excellent trip!

2001.06.11 – Temple Bar (Dublin, Ireland)

This was a Rephlex Disco Assault Systems Inc. gig btw

I dressed up in a Windowlicker style blond wig.. which you can see for about 3 secs @ 5.45 in the video. I took lots of snaps with a disposable camera of RDJ hidden behind the desk (i shot em through the gap between it and the floor). I swore he was taking pictures back at me but i lost the fucking camera.

The next day was a beach party attended by dj rephlex records and we flew kites on the dunes...

2002.08.24 – Leeds Festival (Leeds, UK)

- Went with the g/f at the time. Cannot remember a single bloody thing

2003 TBC - Ocean Room – Warp Party (Hackney, London, UK) Aphex Twin Vs Luke Vibert

Went with my go-to-gigs-with Italian buddy "Liam" and we got truly fucked well before the gig, falling asleep on the circle line before taking more yokes at the gig. They played relentless jungle and i got up on stage at one point and was quickly removed. I have a clear memory of going upstairs to the john and forgetting if i was going up or down, half way. On the way back into the train station i stopped off a moving double decker bus not realising that it hadn't stopped

2003.04.05 – DJ – All Tomorrows Parties (Camber Sands, UK) Performed 2 DJ Sets

I only recall one set to be honest. The one after Sunn-o)) and which is available though the John Peel show in 2 parts. Anyway I encountered RDJ thrice that weekend outside the gig.... once getting weetabix or something at the shop the next morning looking like an outsized anorexic gnome and then that night dancin his tits off to VSnares right beside me who practically cleared the the room with his wall of noise after his opera-singer set. He also passed me hitting the exits during the fire-alarm at the Magic Band (i think) gig.

Not listed 2003 Sonar Festival (Barcelona, Spain)

Can't remember a bloody thing except a smoke bomb being thrown into a "fuck sonar" event in the city and a jungle beach rave on the way back from the main event.

2004.07.?? – Glade Festival (UK)

If this was the first Glade then I was there with a pyscho g/f from hell but we did shrooms and all was well. I remember Aphex just did a very techno orientated set

2008.07.11 – Oxegen Festival – Kildare (Ireland)

Takes pictures of the crowd... who sing along three times to the beats! The light show was sooooo shit i'm sure its how weirdcore got involved. But the set was amazing and i recorded it all for youtube (thekeyfumbler). I brought an aphex virgin big into metal and he died with amazement.

2009 TBC - STRP Festival (Eindhoven, Netherlands)

A shroom infected trip though Amsterdam and then Eindoven. APhex played (with hecker) back to back with squarepusher, ceephax and vsnares... by which time we were too fucked to give a fuck. A guy had this weird megaphone contraption playing noisy shit as he walked through the crowd and that trippped us out even more

- managed to film it all for youtube (username keyfumbler)

2011.06.04-05 – Forbidden Fruit (Royal Hospital Kilmainham, Dublin, Ireland)

Plays autchre for the first time, lady in red by vvm and lots of great shit. Facemapping too. Last time i popped a pill....

- managed to film it all for youtube (username keyfumbler)

Edited by phudoshin

Summary:

Off me tits, cannot remember a single bloody thing

Jk, cool story's bro! I was at the STRP gig that year as well, I do still remember alot from that night, the visuals at the ending, Luke Viberts, Squarepushers en Vsnares set, one bizarre night that was. The sets with Hecker were really chaotic and I do prefer him just solo (saw him with Hecker twice and solo also twice).

From the Aphex Twin promoter in Ireland:

"Yes, Olympia was 1998. The next one in tmbc (temple bar music centre) was a Sunday night, I think in 2002, and it was promoted by an art student who'd inherited money."

Edited by phudoshin

From an old irish forum by Skatter - well known Irish DJ/electronic artist who is defo in the know:

The first time Aphex Twin played in Ireland was in the Olymp1a on Saturday the 26th of September 1998. The second time was in the Temple Bar Music Centre in June 2001. I don't remember the exact date and I only remember one of the support acts, an Irish guy called The Alpha Incident (who use to be the drummer for an Irish indie band called Palomine. One of the female guitar players from that band is now inThe Chalets). The promoter that time was some "Kidney Promotions", apparently a young guy whose granny had just died and left him a load of cash, and he used it to bring Aphex over. The third time was also in the Temple Bar Music Centre on Friday the 24th of August 2001 with Bogdan Raczynski, Ovuca and Grant Wilson Claridge. That was a U:Mack gig, there was a rave the following night on a beach near Gormanstown (Laytown?) which some of the Rephlex people turned up to and DJed at and was was mentioned on the Warp Records website

Saturday the 26th of September1998 is Olympia Theatre

So june 2001 is the cyclob as a banana gig promoted by a student who inherited money

August 2001 is the Rephlex Allstars + beach rave afterwards gig (no aphex at the beach :( )

So phudoshin is RDJ a good dancer? I've been curious about this ever since he said he wondered if Stockhausen could dance and also because he seems so shy/introverted during his gigs.

EDIT: also, how come there is no pictures or footage of RDJ dancing?

Edited by AdieuErsatzEnnui

Guest texan whip

no way is gabbro rod fix 92 - more like 96 onwards.

Edited by texan whip

no way is gabbro rod fix 92 - more like 96 onwards.

I'm confusing this with the NASA "See The Light" live show in 1993 where there were three tracks named "Gib", "Gibble", and "Gib Gib" - the "Gabbro" is what threw me.

"Gabbro Rod Fix" was a track from the 1997 Boston, MA USA show.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

And "Gabbro Rod Fix" is not an official name, either.

ok so... whats it really called?

Hell if I know... I just know that Gabbro Rod Fix is not it's name and was just a made up name assigned to it like Gibble and GebGeb were.

• 8 years later...
On 5/30/2012 at 4:29 PM, phudoshin said:

From an old irish forum by Skatter - well known Irish DJ/electronic artist who is defo in the know:

The first time Aphex Twin played in Ireland was in the Olymp1a on Saturday the 26th of September 1998. The second time was in the Temple Bar Music Centre in June 2001. I don't remember the exact date and I only remember one of the support acts, an Irish guy called The Alpha Incident (who use to be the drummer for an Irish indie band called Palomine. One of the female guitar players from that band is now inThe Chalets). The promoter that time was some "Kidney Promotions", apparently a young guy whose granny had just died and left him a load of cash, and he used it to bring Aphex over. The third time was also in the Temple Bar Music Centre on Friday the 24th of August 2001 with Bogdan Raczynski, Ovuca and Grant Wilson Claridge. That was a U:Mack gig, there was a rave the following night on a beach near Gormanstown (Laytown?) which some of the Rephlex people turned up to and DJed at and was was mentioned on the Warp Records website

Eoghan Kidney was the bloke who put that Rephlex Assault Systems gig in TBMC,  he wrote an article about it, it's a great read, I wasn't but I think I was at that beach party 

Was that in Laytown or Gormanstown? Those parties were great, I don't think Afx djed at it tho, think it might have been Ed Dmx and possibly Vibert, I remember loads of the crowd not being too pleased that their bog-standard techno was turned off for jungle

• Like 1