IGNORED

Enstrobia

mcbpete

It only seems right that there should be a separate thread for the mini EP that comes with the limited edition versions of Ufabulum

Anyways, the highlight for me is around the middle of Anger Integer where the drums speed up faster and faster and mutate to become a synth line before rapidly slowing down again to become percussion hits again. Simple idea but gorgeously executed.

Panic Massive sounds like something made during the era between Just A Souvenir and Shobaleader One. Contrary to many here I love both albums, and thus also love this one.

40.96a - lovely bit of minimal experimentation, I do like it when Tom slows things down occasionally to produce more soundscapey stuff. Would've liked some more space between the sounds coming in and out, it gets a little crowded at times and doesn't really allow the elements to fully 'breathe' (can't think of a better word at this hour). But I guess as a live performance a lack of complete finesse is to be expected

One thing I did think when hearing this EP is how better it sounds than the main album. It seems to be mastered a lot better and with a much more pleasant tonal range compared to the rather mid-top heavy sound of Ufabulum. I wonder if Tom's ears 'popped' after doing Ufabulum and could actually hear properly again during the mastering of this one...

Guest CraniumXII

It only seems right that there should be a separate thread for the mini EP that comes with the limited edition versions of Ufabulum.

One thing I did think when hearing this EP is how better it sounds than the main album. It seems to be mastered a lot better and with a much more pleasant tonal range compared to the rather mid-top heavy sound of Ufabulum. I wonder if Tom's ears 'popped' after doing Ufabulum and could actually hear properly again during the mastering of this one...

LoL @ your last statement...

I agree that this is a great little EP, and though I was really hoping for something a bit more "brutal," I think it's pretty good overall. When I disperse these tracks among the other tracks in Ufabulum, I find that the journey is much more pleasant. I start with Angel Integer and let it go into 4001, then Panic Massive after Energy Wizard. I have On Crack as well, so I let the album end with that followed by 4o.96A. I think that On Crack is quite fun actually. There is something quite appealing about the minimalist approach to some of these tracks. Enstrobia is also a great standalone... It does feel a bit like leftovers of the Shobaleader project, just more well produced...

I do hope that Shobaleader continues as a side project, but I am not entirely sure it will. CHEERS! :beer:

I've been enjoying this little EP quite a bit also! Really love that it's a much 'lighter' mood than the LP... I think Panic Massive is actually my favorite off here. Though Angel Integer is a close second. 40.06a is a nice little treat... every time it comes on I think "oh... I'll just listen through to complete the EP" and then by the end I'm loving it. Does anyone know where this live session came from? Reminds me of his Vacuum Garden tracks...

oops - i kno tpye soo gud. Fixed.

If you google it, it appears as if Estrobia is quite a common misspelling for naughty pirates as well ...

I made a CD for the car of 40.96a, then Pannic Massive then "on crack" then Angle Integer then all of Ufabulum and I think it works very well.

40.96a is very suitable as an opening track........ especially for a gig......sets the mood

Panic Massive... the shobaleader guitar gets a little in the way of the funkyness at the start i feel... still a nice little ditty

Angel integer is a killer track that definitely serves as a companion track to the mighty 4001/Exstatic Shock... these tracks all hold the whole project together nicely, sandwhching as they do the more shobleader/experimental/dubstep offerings.

40.96a played incredibly loud on stacks while waiting for him to come out at Creators in SF was marvelous. Blasted to the point that the bass is basically massaging your body.

I was actually quite let down when it appeared it wasn't going to be released, very happy its on the ep.

• 2 weeks later...

40.96a could have been a great soundtrack to Prometheus.

Panic Massive is great, it indeed sounds pretty much like Shobaleader One side track but I'm really happy with it.

Anyway...Angel Integer BLEW MY MIND AWAY. Best Squarepusher track for a while imho.

The EP is really, really enjoyable.

I think 40.96a is shit. A monkey could do it.

i shall like listening 2 some electronic music made by a monkey, so much more if he makes compositions deserving of Squarepusher, it would b an orgasm...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRbWW-HZd0Q

Thanks 4 orgasm! :w00t:

Lemurs, suricates and sloths are NOT monkeys!!

Right... :spiteful:

• 2 years later...

Archived