IGNORED

A few albums recently listened.

murve33

• 2 weeks later...

Magneticring - Magneticring ........ Bristol missions always throw up some gems. Bought it for the sleeve initially, an Aubrey Beardsley meets bright lime n pink thing on pain-relief meds. Sounds superb too, kinda like the synthier, more cosmic end of certain Krautrock meeting droned out harmonies that melt away time. Love the melodies on this beauty, never overplays its groove. Maybe technically a longer e.p. but the quality was too delicious to ignore/10

Vakula - Voyage to Arcturus ,,,,,,,,,, 1 of the more innovative and inspired house music producers to arouse these facist ears in recent years. A concept lp (of sorts) .... has some real wonky spaced-out gems. If you worship at the temple of chugged out down-tempo moogy 4/4 gear, its def worth a punt, but its still a big departure from his usual material. Appropriate diction fail/10

Andrew Liles - Incommensurable Magnitudes .....will shurrup about this release after 3rd n final reference here. 7hrs into a 24hr drone-scape project that completely defies the laws of quality control already. Layers of sound build, melt, disintegrate and regrow through analog tones that are completely addictive. Outstanding listening. Have some r&r next few days and fully intend to finish the fucker pronto. 1 of Britain's finest ever sound explorers/10

• 2 weeks later...

Infected Mushroom - Friends on Mushrooms Deluxe Edition, Legend of the Black Shawarma, Vicious Delicious

All 3 albums have really grown on me. While at first I really thought it was too dramatic a departure from the psytrance style they held from the late 90s through about 2005 when their best album came out (IMO - IM the Supervisor is their best work), I can hear now they evolved their sound to incorporate lyrics, guitars, and with Friend on Mushrooms, even some dubstep styles. While I generally do NOT enjoy dubstep types, I really think they blended it well with some more classical electronic styles. Vicious Delicious might be on par with IM The Supervisor as well.....great stuff all around

Jurassic 5 - Power in Numbers. Very enjoyable album. Runs a bit long with 17 tracks, but some of their best songs on here like Freedom, and Remember His Name. 2nd favorite Hip Hop act after Deltron 3030.

Ulrich Schnauss - A Strangely Isolated Place. I am going to have to buy my own copy of this and soon...it's too good to not have on demand! Loved it.

Willie Nelson - Spirit

Antony and the Johnsons - I Am a Bird Now

Both are absolutely wonderful albums, and my first time listening to either artist. Now I have a couple of discographies to dig into!

Edited by Capsaicin

Willie Nelson - Spirit

Keep meaning to have a listen to some of his albums. I quite like a bit of country music (like The Byrds stuff, Emmy Lou Harris and obviously Cash). Bit of a weird genre as a lot of it just repells me, but I think there's some gems for me to discover. The good shit sounds like acoustic stoner rock to me.

Edited by beerwolf

check the slightly psychedelicized (sp??) country of the Grateful Dead's 'Workingman's Dead', New Riders of the Purple Sage did some gems (The Last Lonely Eagle especially), Gram Parsons is well worth a sift and The Allman's bridged country & southern rock better than anyone.

• 2 weeks later...

Unknown Mortal Orchestra - Multi-Love

I know we're only half way through 2015, but this record is definitely my AOTY so far. Been on heavy rotation over the past few weeks. Sounds like Stevie Wonder on a metric fuckton of acid.

AFX - Analord series

Aside from my copy of Chosen Lords, I haven't been exposed to much of the Analord series. It's taken me until now to actually do something about it. Scoured the interwebs for some rips (hey, it's out of print) and found the entire collection in FLAC. Some serious gems in there that I can't believe I've missed out on. Analord 2 and 11 were completely new to me and they both blew my head off on first listen. #10 is still the fucking king though. Can't wait to familiarise myself with all of this material.

High on Fire - Luminferous: Matt Pike & Co. continue to be awesome, if you know this band you know what to expect. This album delivers.

Spectres - Dying: Really dark, moody shoegaze that's got a lot of noise-rock influences as well. Shoegaze tends to generally be a more uplifting lighter genre I find, so it's interesting to hear a band put a darker spin on the sound, they do it well.

Candy Claws - Various Albums: This may be one of the most summery sounding bands I've ever heard.

Container - LP: Noisey techno goodness.

Lightning Bolt - Fantasy Empire: Probably the most metal output yet from the duo, and their most well produced. Despite the higher production though it still has the noisy chaotic edge they've always had. This may be one of my favorites of their whole discog.

Arovane - icol diston - 8/10

Coil - time machines - 10/10

Manuel Goettsching - walkin the desert 8/10

Manuel Goettsching - E2E4 8/10

Biosphere - N plants 7/10

Demdike Stare - tryptych 10/10

Not sure how well-known it is around these parts (or in general), but
Saturnia - Muzak

Very mellow stuff with nice blurry vocals, it got that Journey (afx mix) vibe in some places.

I was gonna say NSFW but seeing as the play button covers the nipple.. :cisfor: Edited by th555

• 5 weeks later...

Here's been the latest subterranean sounds of my lair. Disco inferno indeed!

Kyuss - Blues for the Red Sun - 8/10 Molten metal from the desert but also sounds like it was being played in a slimey swamp. Years ago when I bought this album the vocals used to get a little on my nerves (same with Welcome to Sky Valley), years later they don't bother me at all. Essential heavy tunage.

The National - Boxer The first track I ever heard by The National was Abel, which tore my ears off and blew parts of my brain over my speakers. And like on this album (and all the others) the best tracks are those when the drummer is up and running and the rest of band is trying to trade punches. When the vocalist is droning down the mic on some boring acoustic/piano ballad they fall apart very quickly.

The Klf - Chill Out - 10/10

cCLOUDEAD - s/t - 9/10

Judas Priest - Defenders of the Faith - 8.5/10 A point or so dropped for the bloody awful (very dodgy lol) lyrics, but the vocals, drums and twin guitars just don't get much better. Metal snobs snort as much as you like, the album is a classic. Hah!

Drukqs - 10/10 This set of tracks have done nothing but get better and better and better. It's pretty obvious that work of a genius. One of the greatest albums of all time.

Radiohead - In Rainbows - 9/10

Killing Joke - Killing Joke (1980)

Killing Joke - Killing Joke (2003) Both albums 9/10. I can imagine being a teenager in 1980 and hearing the first KJ album and being hook, lined and sinkered into it's bewitching brew. Like Master of Reality mainlined into a very scary industrial part of London. And as with Sabbath there's a lunatic howling at you from the front. The 2003 'clown album' is just as good. Jazz Colemans vocals are exceptional as he exorcizes a whole spectrum of demons.

Beck - Mellow Gold - 9/10 His best album imo

Passengers - Original Soundtracks - 8/10 Maybe forgotten about, as I don't see it mentioned much nowadays. It's an Eno album with U2, but Eno has rayguns pointed against their temples, and he keeps them as quiet as he needs them to be. The results are great. Though anything with Bono involved in will just get spat at from some people this LP is worth checking out.

Megadeth - Rust in Peace - 10/10 Haven't played this for years, and oh boy did I enjoy every fucking second of it! Incredible. Thankyou very much indeed.

New Order - Technique - 7/10 This album has a clutch of simply outstanding sublime tunes on. It also has a handfull of tunes I don't like that much. So it's a 7. But a solid gold seven.

Thats it I've had enough :sleep:

marshall allen presents sun ra and his arkestra - in the orbit of ra: mindblowingly amazing record. if you ever wanted a good place to start with sun ra this is it (although some of these are alternate takes of his popular songs) it's still a very good roundup of ra's extensive oeuvre sidestepping his more arcane and experimental workouts like heliocentrics worlds or space probe and diving straight in the cohesive works from albums like discipline 27-II, secrets of the sun and disco 3000.

the eccentronic research council - johnny rocket, narcissist & music machine... i'm your biggest fan: i don't know why these guys insist on such long record titles that are more like manifestos, but whatever. this is beyond brilliant (perhaps their best record). it's impossible this time to separate the music from the narration as you're basically listening to something like a radio play about a fan who's obsessed with the title character, who is a bandleader that also make an appearance on the record.

No scores as they are recent voyages of discovery

Alva Noto - Xerrox 2

Alessandro Cortini - Risveglio

Aleksi Perela - The Colundi Sequence 10

Dettinger - Oasis

Drenge - Undertow

Nicolas Jaar - Sonar 2012

Sonic Youth - Sister & Evol

marshall allen presents sun ra and his arkestra - in the orbit of ra: mindblowingly amazing record. if you ever wanted a good place to start with sun ra this is it (although some of these are alternate takes of his popular songs) it's still a very good roundup of ra's extensive oeuvre sidestepping his more arcane and experimental workouts like heliocentrics worlds or space probe and diving straight in the cohesive works from albums like discipline 27-II, secrets of the sun and disco 3000.

some top Sun Ra picks & they all got swing at varying levels

• 2 weeks later...

Beach House - Depression Cherry

Left no impression on first listen. Hopefully there's something more there.

Busta Rhymes - When Disaster Strikes

I think this might secretly be a pretty good album. Fun anyway.

nino nardini, anthony cadogan, eddie warner & terence redcliff - animals & children (l'illustration musicale)

library record from the french "label of modern times" this time made up of silly, comic and very playful tunes; i figure this record would be the kind of thing you'd see jonny trunk toting around- especially on a wet saturday afternoon

archie gunn, eddie warner, nino nardini & cecil leuter - various international backgrounds (l'illustration musicale)

more french library goodness. i was expecting some to hear lots of exotic instruments and lots of playful arrangements to illustrate the "international background" but this is more like the music that would play in the background of a "western saloon" , a "parisian cafe" or "sao paulo marketplace". everything is very loose and on the fly giving the impression of a quick aircraft news magazine showing cheap rental accomdations

gripped in Bristol recently Nino Rota's score of Juliet of the Spirits, 5quid & the pressing was solid. you have the vinyl of Fellini's 1st colour film supposedly made after he'd imbibed acid for the 1st time too in your hands, its only 5pounds...... quick b4 any1 else sees it

http://www.discogs.com/Nino-Rota-Juliet-Of-The-Spirits-Giulietta-Degli-Spiriti-Original-Sound-Track-Recording/release/3466928

the links dont do the tracks justice & it can sound like some wanky cabaret,,,,but in among the filler are some absolute gems. Def a worth punt of you shekels.

(vid below has wrong audio, better watched in silence to actually just confuse matters further, but it shows Fellini's trip peakin lol)

Desire - Bob Dylan. One More Cup of Coffee was made for movies. 9/10

Funny, I just picked this up as well. Love Bob. However, this may be his most out-of-tune album, and the drum sounds are not mixed to my liking.