IGNORED

Neil Young Discussion Thread

Cryptowen

Because the BoDyl thread should be about BoDyl

Anyways he's one of those musicians I've been meaning to explore for years & years because he seems to have exactly the kind of lyrics I like. I just got On the Beach and it's amaaaaaazon

Dude's got a lot of albums though so discog points of interest/avoidance would be appreciated

Guest zaphod

i'll just post what i posted in the dylan thread:

[youtubehd]CKgj1FNToWY[/youtubehd]

3:05 is the best guitar solo for me

definitely my favorite neil album. i also really like this version of harvest moon:

[youtubehd]ADUC4l6t3Bk[/youtubehd]

his really melancholy stuff is where it's at

hiiiiighly recommend his live at massey hall album

[youtubehd]YFDFBMokqlo[/youtubehd]

Guest Ricky Downtown

i dont know much about neil young, but sometimes when i am listening to him i think it is daniel johnston and sometimes when i am listening to daniel johnston i think it is neil young.

Guest nowyouknow

i've listened everything he made from buffalo springfield to trans (+ freedom & chrome dreams II). i fuckin love him.

best albums:

everybody knows this is nowhere

after the gold rush

harvest

tonight's the night

on the beach

zuma

rust never sleeps

Mahoosive Neil Young fan here.

One album which hasn't been mentioned so far is the mighty Weld. This was my first purchase of Neil Young, and a wise one as its mind-blowing!! A vast collection of tracks drenched in distortion and dripping like molten metal. It's a classic album. I think if you bought this, and Rust Never Sleeps together you'd instantly get a wide range of sounds and songs from him. The whole spectrum really. Decade is an essential collection too.

No mention of Ragged Glory? Thats a brilliant studio album.

For me, his best are

Rust Never sleeps (acoustic side first)

Comes a time

After the gold rush

Harvest

On the beach

Everybody knows...

Trans

Zuma

Neil young

Harvest moon

I'm not a big fan of tonight's the night.

Guest Jimmy McMessageboard

oh man thats a cracker of an album! the bootleg version anyway. so raw.

come on lets go downtown is worth the inclusion on best of lists alone

personal favorite i think is on the beach. such a sad album. it doesn't get much better.

can't listen to harvest anymore (or very often anyway as i heard it too much)

la noise didnt grab me but nothing recent of his did since...silver and gold? that was what 2000?

saw him live at the bridge school benefit in 2011 for the first time.

also love the stuff he did with pearl jam, more so the vedder sang 2 track ep (merkinball) than the young sang mirrorball album. long road and i got id. fuck yeah

Tonights the Night not my cup of tea either. Never understood the massive praise heaped upon it, having said that I haven't played it for about 10 years and it could be one of those sleeping classics sitting lost & forgotten in my record collection. Maybe time for another shot?

I agree. That song is the standout for me. I love it! The rest of the album I find is a bit to drunk sounding. It bums me out.

I'm also on board with you on Harvest. My first Neil album (when I was a kid) was Decade. The first full-length I got was Harvest. I played it out a bit. The sound is fantastic though, especially on Heart of Gold.

A Man Needs a Maid is embarrassingly bad, IMO.

personal favorite i think is on the beach. such a sad album. it doesn't get much better.

la noise didnt grab me but nothing recent of his did since...silver and gold? that was what 2000?

saw him live at the bridge school benefit in 2011 for the first time.

also love the stuff he did with pearl jam, more so the vedder sang 2 track ep (merkinball) than the young sang mirrorball album. long road and i got id. fuck yeah

[media=]

[/media]

oh FUCK yes.

This is what got me into him....goddamn thank you for posting this...forgot all about it!!

I can't really say anything else that people haven't already.

Agreed that Harvest is kinda played, but damn one of the best sounding pieces of vinyl in my collection...just awe inspiringly recorded sound.....thank y'all for the other album recommendations...I need to expand my Neil Young horizons fo rizzle

Guest nowyouknow

yeah tonight's the night is overrated (freedom too), but it's still a very very good album.

i've seen trans mentioned, the compositions are ok (not better than hawks & dove & reactor tho) but the sound..... could have been good.

• 2 years later...

one of the giants of modern singer/songwriting, my folks and their generation worship the bloke

to play devil's advocate the title track off Tonight's the Night stands out on that lp, its got some great guitar licks for a really sad song and the back story of the character is full-on........tons of other gear, Needle & The Damage, Heart Of Gold..........Harvest is right up there w/Dylan's Blood On The Tracks. One of the stand-out CSNY releases is David Crosby's "If Only I Could Remember My Name", with NY & various other folks popping up on each of the tracks (and if you like that check the Planet Earth Rock n Roll Orchestra session tapes, although NY isnt on the latter).

Amazing talent with timeless music spread across some outstanding albums all covered in some of the above posts. Get into it

Guest bitroast

looove neil young. saw him 2 years ago at outdoors winery gig. we got there super earlier and spent most of the day wearing cheap ponchos and sitting under an umbrella hiding from onslaught of heavy rain that lasted a good hour or two. holy shit it was grim.

then the rain stopped and neil young and crazy horse played and it was fucken amazing. onslaught heavy rains came back just right in time for Like A Hurricane. this organ was elevated by wires and hanging in the rafters and was supposed to come down during the song so someone could play a solo on it, but the rain was causing the wiring to fuck up and it took longer than anticipated it seems for the damn thing to come down. the solo was raw and amazing and one of those 'magic gig moments', plus the organ not coming down with the band members standing around looking up at it confused was kind of hilarious and spinal tap was fuck.

heard all of his old stuff up until Zuma, and then scattered records through to Old Ways (which i own and kind of hate). so much stuff still to listen to and so much of it is amazing :)

Archived