IGNORED

Bochum Welt - Good Programs (to be coloured in yellow)

Redruth

Given this a good few listens now (gets lots of repeats because of its short length). Weird little album, it's an enjoyable listen but many of the tracks sound almost like I already knew them before this album existed. My favourite tracks are those that sound like lost Selected Ambient Works. I actually first heard of Bochum Welt in a thread about music that sounds like SAW 85-92. There's some other stuff on here that sounds like John Beltran's latest album, although that may be a coincidence. Still, not sure whether to praise this or call it unoriginal.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really bad weather outside, sitting here nice and warm with a cup of coffee and the new BW on a good system and it's better then I expected after those couple of youtube vids. Context y'all...

context y'all indeed. very good stuff -- but as with all bochum welt - he's just not rdj... something always missing

Whether he intended to or not, he always has, even to the point where some people thought he was an RDJ alias back in the 90s if Wikipedia is to be believed. And I mean, listen to Laurel Canyon, how are the similarities not intentional, there's no way. (Probably my favorite track on the album regardless.)

Like I said it's not necessarily a bad thing. His perceived lack of originality might stop me from considering him god's gift to electronic music or whatever but it's not like Selected Ambient Works knockoffs grow on trees, so in a way I'm happy someone is still making this stuff and does it so well.

Sorry, I don't agree with you.

And Laurel Canyon doesn't remind me of AFX at all. BW's going for that sort of 80's sound, like he does in a lot of his tracks, to the point where it almost gets cheesy but doesn't.

not bad, not mind blowing on first listen but i like it. judging by the title i assume he's using the computer again to make music. i remember hearing that ELAN was the first album he made with only a computer and wasn't that the last one?

also funny, the saying : "good programs to be colored yellow" when afx once said that yellow is not a favorite color of his but his tracks that he likes the most he considers "yellow" . that's the only similarity to afx here though i feel

• 2 weeks later...

This is great! Giving the older material a proper listen for the first time and really love it, overlooked by me for far too long. Surely AFX is influenced by Bochum Welt (amongst others) hence the similarities in their music and not just vice versa?

It doesn't feel like an album of sorts, it has an off-feel pattern going on, maybe the flow of it all. I definitely doesn't have the longevity appeal, you listen and it's pretty much an instant digest. And that's quite likeable in some respects.

BUT, I really like it in parts. The more ambient tracks drift by nicely and Laurel Canyon is very dreamy. Almost Cro Magnox feels.

Guest murphythecat8

It doesn't feel like an album of sorts, it has an off-feel pattern going on, maybe the flow of it all. I definitely doesn't have the longevity appeal, you listen and it's pretty much an instant digest. And that's quite likeable in some respects.

BUT, I really like it in parts. The more ambient tracks drift by nicely and Laurel Canyon is very dreamy. Almost Cro Magnox feels.

you couldnt have said it better.

I like it, but after teh first listen, its really as if I digested it all and theres nothing more for me to revisit. Its not bad at all, but theres definitely something missing in this music,, a unfinished feeling.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Bochum Welt just posted this on his FB

"GOOD PROGRAMS (to be coloured in yellow)” now available on iTunes, Amazon and Google Play.

A BMG / Rephlex release. The tracks have been recorded in the U.S. using analogue / vintage gear. The digital retailers edition features 3 new tracks / versions: Ghost, Spoiler, Garden (NYC Mix).

iTunes US http://goo.gl/CLAi48
iTunes UK http://goo.gl/YfoJRC
iTunes JP http://goo.gl/S5tbqf
iTunes IT http://goo.gl/HlwR27

3 new tracks! :w00t:

Can't pay with Google Play, it's not available for my country on Amazon, and I won't even try iTunes. And is it me or did they exclude certain CD tracks on this digital release?

tbh, I wouldn't bother.The 'new' tracks are pretty much remixes of the ones the didn't include.

Can't pay with Google Play, it's not available for my country on Amazon, and I won't even try iTunes. And is it me or did they exclude certain CD tracks on this digital release?

tbh, I wouldn't bother.The 'new' tracks are pretty much remixes of the ones the didn't include.

Lame...

rly dont get whyd u prefer itunes above bandcamp .. 30% against 15% rev-share (dropping to 10% if u sell enough) :s

itunes links !! What are they aliens from planet dreck.

I actually considered for a second not to include them.

haha. i actually considered that you would have considered it. As you generally seem like such a considering chap. [-;

itunes links !! What are they aliens from planet dreck.

I actually considered for a second not to include them.

haha. i actually considered that you would have considered it. As you generally seem like such a considering chap. [-;

Am I considered forgiven :emotawesomepm9:

Guest Geometrices

Definitely less upbeat than R.O.B. which is a great album, though this new record is more subtle and nuanced in overall composition. I did sorta find myself wishing the overall length of the album was longer but still worth a listen.

....(.o..O..o.)....

Archived