IGNORED

Experiences with Zoom HN4 Recorders

ghOsty

So I was browsing through a pawn shop around here the other day and noticed they got a Zoom H4N recorder sitting on the shelf and they're only asking $74 for it. If I remember right they usually go for about 200 more than that. I didn't have the money at the time but considering the area it's in I don't think anyone's gonna be swooping in for audio gear anytime soon. I'm thinking I may go pick it up with my next paycheck.... Anyways. anyone have any experience using these? How are they? Is it as much of a steal as it seems for $74? Also I've never really purchased gear from a pawn shop before should I be hesitant or go for it?

Edited by ghOsty

If they're as good as the older Zoom H2 or H4 models (which I expect they are being more expensive, and more recent) then you've got a bloody steal there. I own the H2 and I really can't see myself ever upgrading (not for the distant future anyway) as the sound quality is flawless.

For $74, grab that thing ASAP! I have an original H4, and while the 4-track mode is a bit muddled, it is a great device (and Zoom supposedly did a bit of an overhaul of the interface so that the H4n was nicer on the user)

Also I've never really purchased gear from a pawn shop before should I be hesitant or go for it?

This is the only thing I'd be concerned about. Even still, I'd go for it.

Guest ryanmcallister

buy it! i paid almost $400 for my original H4 back when they first came out. i paid about $200 for the H2N about a year ago. they are both fantastic, and for $74 that is an absolute steal!

Okay so... I went and scooped it up but...

I misread the box when I first looked at it the other day (it was up on a shelf and I guess maybe I was too overly-excited to see a recorder in a shop to notice at first :cisfor: ), turns out it was just an H1... I suppose an H4N would have probably been more even at a Pawn Shop. But I really just wanted a quality recorder as I didn't have one before and it should work for the purposes I plan to use it for (field samplings and maybe some vocals, and maybe recording my guitar around the apartment). I figure this will be fun to play with and get used to and I can upgrade sometime when I have more money. After looking at prices seems I still got a decent deal on it, and it was like new in the box.

Edited by ghOsty

The H2 suffered from drop outs from the supplied oddly branded SD card (possibly from it having too slower data transfer rates) so if you've got weird glitches randomly on your recordings - don't panic, try a better SD card first.

I have an H4N and I think it is a pretty good recorder, especially for the money. I have to hold high standards and I don't think it's pro quality gear, but I have been plugging some contact mics into it and enjoying that. I think it's the only recorder of its form factor/price range with 1/4", 1/8", and XLR ins.

I have an H4N and I think it is a pretty good recorder, especially for the money. I have to hold high standards and I don't think it's pro quality gear, but I have been plugging some contact mics into it and enjoying that. I think it's the only recorder of its form factor/price range with 1/4", 1/8", and XLR ins.

my friend owns the Tascam DR-40, cheaper than the H4N and just as good, apparently.

http://www.amazon.com/DR-40-4-Track-Portable-Digital-Recorder/dp/B005NACC6M

I own a H4N myself. Tis' a nice bit of kit.

Edited by TRiP

Guest the anonymous forumite

Okay so... I went and scooped it up but...

I misread the box when I first looked at it the other day (it was up on a shelf and I guess maybe I was too overly-excited to see a recorder in a shop to notice at first :cisfor: ), turns out it was just an H1...

I tested both H4N and H1. I bought the H1 and it lasted 6 months. Never drop your H1 on the floor, or you may never be able to use it again. Fragile plastic. I'd go for the new h2N, looks awesome.

• 1 year later...
Guest jasondonervan

Resurrecting this one as I may need to pick up a recorder soon.. is the H4N still decent for its price range?

Guest skibby

i need a portable that records at 192khz or better, cause i wanna record 'ultrasonic' stuff and pitch it down. thinking i might need to build one myself out of a raspberry pi and a DIY d/a converter, since those fukrs can get pricey.

Edited by skibby

Can anyone recommend a good wind sock for recording in windy environments? I seem to recall something called a 'Dead Cat' being highly regarded.

The one I use for the H2 is intended for the Rode NT4 mic but due to the elastic hem it fits on fine - http://www.pinknoise-systems.co.uk/Rode_Dead_Kitten_Windshield--product--355.html

Looks like this on the H2 -

1fwhLKLj08oRcxXz0IXrqtME3dTK_thumb.jpg

Can anyone recommend a good wind sock for recording in windy environments? I seem to recall something called a 'Dead Cat' being highly regarded.

The one I use for the H2 is intended for the Rode NT4 mic but due to the elastic hem it fits on fine - http://www.pinknoise-systems.co.uk/Rode_Dead_Kitten_Windshield--product--355.html

Cool, just what I'm looking for! And it doesn't noticeably attenuate the highs?

Cool, just what I'm looking for! And it doesn't noticeably attenuate the highs?

Not really, but if you feel it does just boost the high shelf a little. I used the H4N all the time for ambiences and I even put a smaller dead kitten underneath a larger dead kitten for windy days. I used the Sony PCM D100 until it's started acting up and got the Zoom H4N. Much prefer the H4N.

Guest jasondonervan

Looking at the PCM-M10 now:

D3S_7418-0460.jpg

My main purpose for it in the short term is field recording while I'm in Japan in September. I realise this isn't high-end kit, but if it captures the ambient background noise of daily life sufficiently, I'll nab one...

"44.1, 48 and 96 kHz (ksps, kilo-samples per second) recording at 16- or 24-bits as WAV files."

"22.05 kHz (ksps) recording at 16-bit WAV."

Edited by jasondonervan

• 2 weeks later...

i got one and i love it (H4N) but i ve experienced few bugs lately,

when i record a new sound, normally it creates or goes to the next file in the folder or the next folder etc ..

and few times it placed my records a bit randomly, few were replaced by other.

nothing really brain killer but still annoying

do you guys know this issue, seems pretty rare, seen nobody online experiencing the same so far

• 2 weeks later...

While it's a great handheld recorder, the H4N's mic pre-amps are not as good as some of the more recent handheld recorders with XLR inputs. To me, there's a reason why it's cheaper. Something to take into consideration with these handheld recorders is that if the source isn't that loud, you're gonna have to crank up the gain, which will in turn, bring up the noise floor significantly.

If you're willing to shell out up to a couple hundred bucks more, you may as well get one of these (The H4N's replacement came out last summer):

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/967366-REG/zoom_h6_handy_audio_recorder.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/830941-REG/Olympus_LS_100_LS_100_Multi_Track_PCM_Recorder.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/832911-REG/Tascam_DR100MKII_DR_100mkII_Portable_Linear.html

• 3 months later...

I've seen mostly good reviews of the H2 and the H4n, am considering picking one of those up in a couple months... but I'm also curious to hear of any other suggestions for portable recording. I used to use my minidisc, but it no longer works without being on the AC adapter/charger...

Should I consider a good mic and record into my cell phone? How about the non-Zoom options? Would a used minidisc player/recorder, or some other device, be worth looking into?

Keep in mind I'm thinking relatively cheap (less than $200) and mostly portable, though I'll surely use it for home recording on occasion. Thanks for any suggestions.

• 6 years later...

Resur-erecting this thread 'cause also looking into getting a used H4N. Want something that will do a generally good job of sound capture, but absolutely not looking to break the bank - my wife wants something to record our toddler while she's still in the "babbling" phase so using it as an opportunity to also try and get something to do basic field recordings. 

Does the H4N still hold up as a good entry-level recorder? Are there newer, even more cost effective options? You can snag an H4N for about 130 on Ebay these days which is about where I want to sit with this thing. 

Thoughts? Ruminations? Revelations? 

On 7/8/2014 at 8:24 AM, Guest skibby said:

i need a portable that records at 192khz or better, cause i wanna record 'ultrasonic' stuff and pitch it down. thinking i might need to build one myself out of a raspberry pi and a DIY d/a converter, since those fukrs can get pricey.

Do you have a microphone sensitive enough to pick up ultrasonics? 

EDIT: missed the date...

Edited by TubularCorporation