Guest TVHEAD

Guest TVHEAD

Sonic Youth was formed in 1981. A great band that had it's own place in the No-Wave and Noise Rock scene along with band like Swans. Their debut album was released in 1983, named "Confusion Is Sex".

Their fifth album "Daydream Nation" is considered to be their magnum opus. They're known for their weird tunings and lot's of guitar simulated noise, example: song "The Diamond Sea" is almost 20 minutes long and the last 15 minutes is just droning guitar effects and noise. Their most experimental album was probably ''EVOL'' from 1986 that had great songs such as: Tom Violence, Star Power, Shadow Of A Doubt..

Great band, you should check out. Really hard to get into, but when you do, it's amazing.

Guest Ron Manager

Call me an idiot or whatever but murray street and sonic nurse are my favorite albums of sonic youth

Absolutely seconded. These two are incredible. Murray Street is probably in my top 5 albums ever.

Not to say that the rest of their catalogue isn't awesome too.

I like Sonic Youth. Though to be honest it took me a while to get into them. A friend had an extra ticket to go see them in 2004 and I went, having hardly heard an entire album. I enjoyed the show but it didn't inspire me to check out their albums. I eventually did and have been working myself through the discography pretty slowly. Excluding live albums and demos, I'd say I'm 3/4 of the way through now, and enjoy most of what's on each album. My favorites at the moment are Goo, Dirty, and Washing Machine.

Guest TVHEAD

Ugh... too noisy. Why can't they play proper music?

Maybe that's the reason why it's labeled as Noise Rock and No Wave?

Guest TVHEAD

they have a new album out ? explains why the hipster idiots run around with sonic youth t-shirts here. pff posers

Their last album was released in 2009. They are on a hiatus since 2011.

Ugh... too noisy. Why can't they play proper music?

Maybe that's the reason why it's labeled as Noise Rock and No Wave?

They should call it Shit Noise and No Music

Guest Ron Manager

I find Rather Ripped almost unlistenable. Okay, that's an exaggeration, but It's so boring compared to the rest of their output.