IGNORED

!!!! Read before starting a new thread !!!!

Squee

Guest Frankie5fingers

since its not really working then just get tough. bump up the post requirement to like 50 or something and if they still make a thread anyways then instant ban. no trials, 1 million years dungeon.

Char_47997.jpg

• 3 months later...

Thought: I prefer when people create a new topic for each track as opposed to one topic for all of their tracks, because then each topic is about one piece in particular. Updates to that one track could be posted in that track's thread. In theory it wouldn't reduce clutter much on the front page of YLC if people stuck to one topic each anyway, since most people don't have two songs to post fast enough.

Then again, it's nice for finding all of one user's tracks, and you can get reminded whenever one particular user makes a song. I still think the format works better as one song (or other creation) per topic though.

edit:

it would also be cool if the forums paid more attention to and revolved more closely around this subforum.

Edited by gmanyo

Honestly, I don't think there'll ever be actual guidelines for this forum like that. Squee tried by creating this thread, and while it did seem to create a spike in activity on here, there's still a handful of people who either feel they're above the rules or just don't care. So meh. Pretty good as it is imo.

Edited by Friendly Foil

I still think the format works better as one song (or other creation) per topic though.

rule of thumb - if you post songs frequently enough that you'd end up with multiple threads per page, keep it to one topic. Everyone else can do whatever they want.

wait no what am i saying, everyone everywhere should always do whatever they want. DON'T LET THE INTERNET SKELETON MAN TELL YOU HOW TO LIVE YOUR LIFE! but srsly tho don't be spammin

do you think that would cause post-pumping?

lil bit. Definitely I'd expect to see some newbs shotgunning "hey man nice trak, plz chk my soundcloud" everywhere.

Speakin which, my ekt suggestion to anyone who may be reading is only post if you had a genuine reaction, or if the person's specifically looking for technical feedback. No replies at all is much preferable to false praise.

Edited by Cryptowen

That'd probably be a bit much, yes. A minimum of posts would probably not have a huge effect on things other than a huge amount of "thick, solid, tight"-posts all over the place.

I don't know. Maybe just keep things as they are and then throw a link to this thread in every thread that breaks the rules.

can you make it so that only topics have to be approved?

also @cryptowen i think you should expect criticism if you post here. I try to give constructive feedback on every track I post on, although maybe i could do a better job letting people know it's just my opinion and i might be full of shit.

Thought: I prefer when people create a new topic for each track as opposed to one topic for all of their tracks, because then each topic is about one piece in particular..

Hello everyone, newcomer online. I'm a long (long...) time music maker, been following WATMM for a couple years now, just signed in a few days ago. :-) I think it would be more convenient, at least for me, to have only one thread to present all my new tracks, instead of creating a new thread each time I have a new track to present. What do you guys think? Is that a problem What is the rule down there?

I also have the option to make all posts go through Moderation here first, but I don't want to put too much of a burden on the Mods having to approve posts all the time...

I wouldn't mind being in charge of that.

FWIW I think some kind of limit like, 1 new YLC thread per 50 posts is the way to go. it's not a ton of work for a mod and would prevent folks from dropping in and posting and leaving.

I've seen people worry that this will lead to too many "nice track" comments which indeed aren't very helpful. then again, that kind of minimal feedback can warm the heart of the OP. but yeah, if that becomes a problem how about 1 new YLC thread / 100 words written or something like that.

I worry about 1 thread/person because it'll inevitably narrow things. it's unavoidable that i and others will simply stop checking threads of users we haven't found too exciting. that's not good developing and learning i think.

then again, that kind of minimal feedback can warm the heart of the OP.

now that i think about it, i agree. Technical feedback may be useful for noobs, but most of us are on the same level - I might be better at x, you at y, but we're all just internet randos doing our thing. I've never gotten a truly shocking response from internet critique, because I already know what I like & dislike about my music.

Your art is a piece of your inner world (more or less, depends), & to have another person acknowledge it - that's like love, right? A real mild version at least...but it has to be a genuine reaction on their part, or else you'll be all like "motherfuck i got my jimmy out for lovin & you're just playin!"

Edited by Cryptowen

I worry about 1 thread/person because it'll inevitably narrow things. it's unavoidable that i and others will simply stop checking threads of users we haven't found too exciting. that's not good developing and learning i think.

Well, even with song-theads you wouldn't check either I guess. You can have interesting discussions in a single-thread too, and it would help making the subforum clearer i think.

About "minimal feedback", well that's a problem, because most of the time on forums and social networks ppl just post these kind of comments in order to have more "friends" and "plays", lame really... Curiosity and open-mindedness: we all have to force ourselves to stay out of our confort zone I guess.

then again, that kind of minimal feedback can warm the heart of the OP.

now that i think about it, i agree. Technical feedback may be useful for noobs, but most of us are on the same level - I might be better at x, you at y, but we're all just internet randos doing our thing. I've never gotten a truly shocking response from internet critique, because I already know what I like & dislike about my music.

Yup I second that. But as far as i'm concerned i don't release tracks in order to receive feedback or appreciation, but simply because I think my works can bring a bit of joy in the listener's mind. i take a lot of pleasure making music, if some ppl do so listening to it then it's fine for me.

• 7 months later...

To be honest, given that there are pros and cons to single track threads and all-encompassing threads, the 'rule of thumb' of only one thread if you're posting regularly, otherwise it's up to you makes most sense. Some people might want to refer back to previous tracks, discuss their 'catalogue' in context, or whatever - others might just want to share the odd tune. Both should be encouraged as different things work for different people.

A bit obvious, maybe, but people are still asking which is better.

God, I really should take part in this place more often. Maybe if I had a higher opinion of my tunes. Mind you, I'm a lurker who listens but rarely comments, so I should probably do something about that too!

• 2 weeks later...

I just want to say it is good that there are rules. I really like this forum. Though I am a lurker, read a lot here, give minimal feedback. Started even my threads in the past claiming that rdj already makes the music i would like to create. My only excuses are that I am not making any music myself, so I cannot get technical on people's tracks. And my english is not that good. But still I feel guilty for not participating so much.

Anyway I really like Watmm.

• 1 year later...

In YLC it feels like I'm going through facebook robot links, even though the ads are other peoples art. I don't really know how this can be addressed. It might just be oversaturation of music makers as time has progressed too.

I think it is the environment and building community. I absolutely love hearing people's stuff in Chatmm and downloading albums. There's lots of dialog that happens when there is a group listen or a critique and it feels more like a two-way interaction.

It also needs a new name. YLC sounds kind of throwaway, like a place where people come vent their frustrations (Your Loudest Crap).

In YLC it feels like I'm going through facebook robot links, even though the ads are other peoples art. I don't really know how this can be addressed. It might just be oversaturation of music makers as time has progressed too.

I'm not quite sure what you mean? Care to elaborate?

Its crowded amongst everything else in the forums. It doesn't stand out and it is a transitory place that I visit, post a "like", and leave.

Unless there is a gimmick or someone with 2 million followers, not many people want to invest time or attention. There is also the opposite effect where an artist will post the same track in a dozen different forums (i.e. Chris Moss) and it becomes saturated that way as well. So the only people that will listen are the people also posting in it and are a part of that community, which is small at the moment.

in chatmm there is more investment and there is a more competition and cooperation that drives people in there to learn and share a lot more.

I think it might because chatmm is separate from the forums and stands out, even though its still a part of the forums technically. YLC needs something akin to that.

p.s. don't take that personally, chris. your music is killer. ;)

Edited by Entorwellian

• 1 month later...

I thought about starting my own SoundCloud dumps thread in YLC, because I have so many unfinished trax from the past twelve years I want to catch up on. But it might quickly get annoying if I keep bumping it with each track I post.

Would it be best to just focus YLC threads on single trax that aren't garbage, I wonder?

• 6 months later...

Rule of thumb, comment on at least 10 tracks before posting your own. Have you done this? No? Well, get going, buddy. There are +300 pages of music in the YLC.

- Is your feedback/comments worth reading? Are you giving sound advice (no pun intended)? Are most of your comments one or two word posts along the lines of "safe!" or "digging it"? If yes, then please do yourself and everyone else a huge favour and elaborate on this.

What if I'm a music-making noob looking for feedback but who isn't qualified to offer much more than "safe" etc. on other people's tracks?