IGNORED

Aphex Twin to feature new series of 33 1/3 books

Guest ruiagnelo

Guest ruiagnelo

From FACT

Bloomsbury Academic announces the next batch of their album-centric music books.

During 2013 and 2014, Bloomsbury will release another 18 books in the series, which already stands at 86 editions. As Spin reports, the new volumes are decidedly contemporary. Previously, only Kid A was of the new millenium.

Previously, we’ve found terrific entries like John Darnielle’s Master of Reality and Drew Daniel’s 20 Jazz Funk Greats to be outnumbered by less than stellar volumes, but overall, the concept is worthwhile.

The full list is below, which along with essential albums from Aphex Twin (Selected Ambient Works Vol II), Oasis (Definitely Maybe), Bjork (last year’s Biophilia), and J Dilla (Donuts), includes classics from Michael Jackson, the Beach Boys, and Kanye West.

Andrew WK: I Get Wet, by Phillip Crandall

Aphex Twin: Selected Ambient Works Vol II, by Marc Weidenbaum

Beach Boys: Smile, by Luis Sanchez

Bjork: Biophilia, by Nicola Dibben

Bobbie Gentry: Ode to Billie Joe, by Tara Murtha

Danger Mouse: The Grey Album, by Charles Fairchild

Dead Kennedys: Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables, by Mike Foley

Devo: Freedom of Choice, by Evie Nagy

Gang of Four: Entertainment! by Kevin Dettmar

Hole: Live Through This, by Anwyn Crawford

J Dilla: Donuts, by Jordan Ferguson

Kanye West: My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, by Kirk Walker Graves

Michael Jackson: Dangerous, by Susan Fast

Oasis: Definitely Maybe, by Alex Niven

Richard Hell and the Voidoids: Blank Generation, by Pete Astor

Serge Gainsbourg: Histoire de Melody Nelson, by Darran Anderson

Sigur Ros: ( ), by Ethan Hayden

They Might Be Giants: Flood, by Alex Reed and Philip Sandifer

Guest jasondonervan

"Prepare for an uptick here in mentions of Aphex Twin for the coming six months to a year. I’m signing on to write a book about Aphex Twin’s landmark 1994 album,Selected Ambient Works Vol II, for the excellent 33 1/3 series. If all goes according to plan, the book should be out in time for the album’s 20th anniversary."

More info, including his 2,000 word submission piece for the book: http://disquiet.com/...saw2for33third/

Also, lol:

Andrew WK: I Get Wet, by Phillip Crandall

a lot of them suck. ok computer was fucking terrible, but i don't know what i expected

abba gold is my fav, but trout mask replica was fun, as was pauls boutique and another green world

my question. WHERE IS FUCKING COMPUTER WORLD

i guess continuum did publish an entire kraftwerk book but it was mainly gash

I already have Reign in Blood and Loveless on my shelf, enjoyed those.

Whoa.

Those are the only 2 I have, too. I got them as gifts.

The Loveless one is really great, but the Reign in Blood one was basically a bunch of old headbangers saying the exact same thing, over and over.

Every entry is like "Reign in Blood is so fuckin heavy. Before it, nothing was that heavy. Then it came out and it was really fuckin heavy. That is one truly heavy album." - Some Old Headbanger.

We'll hopefully learn a fair bit about SAW II that we didn't know before. I haven't read one of these 33 1/3 books before though; is the collected information mostly conjectural or do the authors actually interview the artists beforehand? I have difficulty picturing RDJ being compliant with that.

Hopefully he'll get in contact with Paul Nicholson, and get as much info about the process of creating the visuals with Richard and SamanTHA as possible, as that is as interesting as the music itself, IMO.

We'll hopefully learn a fair bit about SAW II that we didn't know before. I haven't read one of these 33 1/3 books before though; is the collected information mostly conjectural or do the authors actually interview the artists beforehand? I have difficulty picturing RDJ being compliant with that.

it entirely depends on the author. some take a really shitty "i'm connected to the industry" approach which ends up being more about their egos and not the music.

but I remember the paul's boutique one is really great, the last chapter is a fun catalog of allll the samples used in every track

it entirely depends on the author. some take a really shitty "i'm connected to the industry" approach which ends up being more about their egos and not the music.

but I remember the paul's boutique one is really great, the last chapter is a fun catalog of allll the samples used in every track

I'm hoping that they comb through every single reference, interview, and tidbit known about the album first and compile such sources in this book before they just start interviewing fans and critics. Akin to that sample list for Paul's Boutique, I'd love to see a list of RDJ's equipment arsenal, even if it's all just conjecture. I've always found SAW II more intriguing than any other RDJ release (though I personally find his early Rephlex stuff fascinating as well). I hoping Simon Reynolds is involved, he's written more about SAWII that I know of, outside of WATMM anyhow...

• 3 weeks later...

Just read Paul Boutique, It Will Takes A Nation Of Millions To Hold Us Back (Public Enemy) & Endtroducing (DJ Shadow).

Paul's Boutique was great. Well written, with geniune interviews and loads of anecdotes.

The Public Enemy book was alright, with an interesting theory behind it but without any proof for the theory by geniune interviews. Also it was kinda chaotically written.

The DJ Shadow book was the worst. Even though the guy did a lengthy interview with Josh Davis, the content of this talk comes close to null. The guy started the book with an introduction about his own musical socialization which makes up 1/5 of the book. Complete garbage.

Hence, it is really up to the author. I hope it's some guy who is not merely a fan but also a journalist. Well, on his webpages he seems to be one of the guys who talks a lot but says a little. Bad omen... :diablo:

selected ambient works II hurrr duuuurrrr IDONTKNOWANYTHINGELSEBUTLOOKIGOTTHEWEIRDGINGERONMYLISTSOCHECKITOUT

That list is sad in general. Why is this looked up to? Why do you care what these guys have to say about those albums? If you know those albums you probably aldready know whatever there is to know about them.

Archived