IGNORED

posh beers and ales and stuff thread

kaini

Guest uptown devil

Had this last night; it was lush!

old-chub.jpg

nice, their g'knight imperial red ale is one of my favorites. i've hit their brewery/restaurant a few times this summer, all sorts of good stuff on tap.

had these the other night:

sOeDE.jpg

love the avery imperial oktoberfest, hoping to find it on draft soon. was hoping the bourgogne des flandres was going to be a little less sweet and a little more sour but it was tasty nonetheless.

Guest uptown devil

I actually just picked up my first Flemish Red yesterday, drinking one now. Nice blend of sweet and tart despite the nose being deceptively lactic.

ece4cb6d7432b8258f76eaba72633f93_640x640.jpg

nice, had that one last month. would highly recommend picking this one up if you see it on the shelf:

ktEcd.jpg

had this last night:

sAN23.jpg

excellently sour and pleasantly surprising for a new belgium brew.

tonight it's spaten optimator and unibroue la fin du monde.

Someone else just recommended the Duchesse to me earlier on facebook. The Tart Lychee was ok, decently tart with some nice warmth from the cinnamon. IDK if I'd buy it again though.

I recently got my gf onto La Fin du Monde while at a nicer bar with tons of offerings. She likes saisons and Boulevard Tank 7 is one of her favorites, but she wanted to try something new so I suggested it and she fell in love instantly.

Got turned onto this by a coworker the other day... it's delicious, Tallgrass also has an Oatmeal Stout called Buffalo Sweat that's pretty tasty

Tallgrass Oasis

54063.jpg

FUCK YEAH! KANSAS! Buffalo Sweat is my favorite Oatmeal Stout. Oasis is very nice, also check out their 8-bit Pale Ale, it's awesome. We always go to their local firkin events and last Monday they had a new West Coast style IPA called Area 51, very nice floral/citrusy IPA. Hopefully they'll start distributing it, but the normal rep lady wasn't there so I couldn't get any insider info.

Yeah I've had the 8bit, I think people get put off by how corny the can looks and the 8-bit name but yeah, it's a damn good Pale Ale.

It makes me happy that 90% of the beers in this thread I have readily available to me at discounted price, from the liqour store I work at... and those we don't carry I could probably order for cheap.

Shiner has a new pale ale out that I've been meaning to try since I like Shiner Bock a lot...

Six-Pack_Shiner_103_Wild_Hare_Pale_Ale.jpg

Keeping it simple and local tonight and finishing off a couple of Summit Pilsners

Pilsener_BTL_rgb-LR.jpg

Also had a rep from Schell's in the drink shop tonight, tried the Emerald Rye and their Oktoberfest. The Emerald Rye is pretty good, hoppy but not overpoweringly so. The Oktoberfest is pretty damn good as far as Oktoberfests go, I liked it a lot more than the Sam's Oktoberfest... but I have yet to try New Belgium's Red Hoptober, which sounds quite intriguing.

Earlier in the day I had a couple of Liftbridge brews... the Farmgirl and the Chestnut Hill, the first is a Farmhouse Ale, which I found to be light and very smooth (drank that one pretty quickly), and the chestnut hill is a bit darker with a very subtle nutty aftertaste, I liked the Chestnut Hill a little more than the Farmgirl but both were pretty decent beers.

533558b.jpg

This may be shandy, but Fentimen's Lemonade Shandy is the best fucking shandy you'll ever drink.

Agreed, beautiful shandy. I'd rather drink this than most bland mainstream beers. Real lovely taste. Speaking of mainstream beers I am drinking a bottle of Heinekin from the corner shop. Can't be arsed to go on a beer mission to get a decent drop.

Awesome, Abyss is supposed to be the shit!

I tasted this on tap:

dogfish-head-world-wide-stout.jpg

18% motherfuckers!!! surprised they even gave me a taste! Extra tip for that bartender. *hic*

Edited by encey

Awesome, Abyss is supposed to be the shit!

I tasted this on tap:

dogfish-head-world-wide-stout.jpg

18% motherfuckers!!! surprised they even gave me a taste! Extra tip for that bartender. *hic*

I've heard nothing but good about this stuff, I think the shop I work at is getting some closer to winter, if they do I'm definitely picking some of this up...

Our alcohol supply away from bars is pretty shit in Ontario, sadly. But we can still often find lovely Unibroue beers for relatively cheap, and Fin du Monde and Maudite are certainly no slouches as far as beers are concerned. We probably have some microbrews I don't even know about, though. When I visited Ithaca, NY, I couldn't believe how much better the beer selection was, even at a supermarket (Wegman's was) than at most locations of The Beer Store (here in ON) we have. Perhaps if I went to a really large location of the LCBO they might have some goodies, but sadly, it seems in order to enjoy many craft beers and microbrews, you have to go to one of those fairly chichi brew pubs, though a few places have some rather lovely beers by the St. Ambroise brewery on tap, but again, like Unibroue, that's a Quebecois brewery.

The Green Flash Double Stout is always great. They're one of those breweries that can do no wrong imo, all of their beers are great. Hop Head Red is probably my favorite of theirs, but again, they're all good.

Guest uptown devil

I recently got my gf onto La Fin du Monde while at a nicer bar with tons of offerings. She likes saisons and Boulevard Tank 7 is one of her favorites, but she wanted to try something new so I suggested it and she fell in love instantly.

yeah, it's a nice tripel. unibroue is pretty solid in general, and under $10 too which is nice. i had the 'terrible' the other day and it was delicious. i get their trois pistoles quite a bit too.

I took a picture for you kaini, in Spar on Thomas st.

i actually found em! the 24 hour dunnes here have them. also, free reddit karma (entire subreddit extremely NSFW). still prefer my karpackie when it comes to budget lager though.

the thwaites' nutty black ale is nice. very toffee/coffee-ish, VERY dark, lovely bitter finish. at 3.9% though i reckon i'd get sick of them before i got drunk. i'm saving the falling stone bitter for later on.

Edited by kaini