IGNORED

What Video Games Are You Currently Playing

Joyrex

Flol, if only there was some other way to distribute these games.

Well...just completed the first two missions of the new Doom. The environments are insane. Combat-wise, ammo is relatively limited for each gun, so it seems attack variety is key. It also looks like there's a bunch of upgrades for weapons, armor, stats, etc. Actually feels kind of like a Metroid game. Also, G(l)ory Kills.

One thing worth mentioning if you already ordered the game on PC; make sure you grab the latest update for your GPU driver first. I learned this the hard way and got a slide show the first time. The driver update fixes that, if you have an AMD or NVidia.

So are you saying that this is actually... good?

I got it on the weekend and it's very enjoyable. I've only played about an hour so far but it's fkn gorgeous. It's fairly fast paced, obviously not as much as the original, but I find I have to pick up the pace compared to other recent-ish FPS games I've played (not many tbh).

My criticisms though—the checkpoint save system irritates me a little (I sometimes miss the message that a checkpoint has been saved, and am not sure if it's ok to quit the game etc), and the fact that all of the combat so far has been in 'arena' settings (ie. doors/pathways close until you kill all the enemies) and is very much separated from the exploration side kinda slows the pace somewhat. I'd love to be able to just blaze through a level if I wanted to.

dooms is amazing. holy shit. i don't think i've had this much fun with a shooter since unreal tournament. bought it last night and already 7 hours in.

Edited by data

Well...just completed the first two missions of the new Doom. The environments are insane. Combat-wise, ammo is relatively limited for each gun, so it seems attack variety is key. It also looks like there's a bunch of upgrades for weapons, armor, stats, etc. Actually feels kind of like a Metroid game. Also, G(l)ory Kills.

One thing worth mentioning if you already ordered the game on PC; make sure you grab the latest update for your GPU driver first. I learned this the hard way and got a slide show the first time. The driver update fixes that, if you have an AMD or NVidia.

So are you saying that this is actually... good?

I got it on the weekend and it's very enjoyable. I've only played about an hour so far but it's fkn gorgeous. It's fairly fast paced, obviously not as much as the original, but I find I have to pick up the pace compared to other recent-ish FPS games I've played (not many tbh).

My criticisms though—the checkpoint save system irritates me a little (I sometimes miss the message that a checkpoint has been saved, and am not sure if it's ok to quit the game etc), and the fact that all of the combat so far has been in 'arena' settings (ie. doors/pathways close until you kill all the enemies) and is very much separated from the exploration side kinda slows the pace somewhat. I'd love to be able to just blaze through a level if I wanted to.

yeah looks like loads of fun. i was watching a youtuber build his own level last night, super mario doom maker!

Yeah the small amount of footage I saw of the level editor looked interesting. I'm gonna have to have a play with it.

I'm wondering if there will ever be a mac version..? I bought one of the new 27" 5k imacs yesterday and it looks like it'd run it nicely. I've been playing it on my girlfriend's gaming PC and while it looks great on the massive samsung TV I feel a bit disconnected from the game sitting so far away from it, haha. Would love to try it on the insane imac screen—I may have to make a bootcamp partition on it.

Edited by modey

I knew you guys would enjoy the new Doom :cool:

Agreed about the "arena" feel. Every time you yank that weird gland thingy out of a Gore Nest or you're in particularly hot areas it feels like the combat equivalent of breakdancing. (in a good way)

Wish I had more time to play it lately, but I'm definitely gonna do a second playthrough. I've just been blazing thru the missions but still missed quite a few secrets in the process.

And that SnapMap I might play around with later on too.

I'm glad it's a lot more well-lit than Doom 3. Oh and the outdoor areas are very nice too. I'm a sucker for good outdoor areas.

Guest bitroast

Doom 3 was fun. only got to play the bfg edition that tweaked the gameplay by removing the flashlight as a standalone item, instead made it a timed item that could be used at same time as guns, meaning the whole horror element of playing in the dark was pretty much scrapped. game was fun but also took its sweet ass time to actually be fun. noone (im guessing noone??) wants hours long buildup and halflife esque lift sequences with talking before getting to the fun bits in a doom game :S

looking forward to doom4. looks fun !!! i dont quite like the looks of the arena style focused areas + any glimmer of forced cutscenes and talking .... but ... i'm sure i'll be able to play it and still enjoy it.

Guest bitroast

also ... audiologs should be banned from video games. laziest way to shoehorn story / longevity into gameplay.

Yeah, there's a lot of text to read as well (compared to usual Doom style). I don't mind it in slower games like Deus Ex (can't wait for the new one btw), but it feels like I'm missing out on something if I just blaze through the levels without reading it.

And regarding the arena combat, well, I'd prefer it if it were the same amount of enemies spread out across the level, rather than it feeling like a concentrated bloodbath/deathmatch, but I'm sure I'll get used to it. Also, the 'glory kill' feature or whatever name they've given to hand-to-hand combat is pretty cool, as is the chainsaw. Super satisfying, and it's a real rush to do quickly in a big mob of enemies, even if I haven't 100% got the hang of it yet.

I'm ok with the horror element being largely scrapped; Doom3's obsession with shit jumping out at you all the time in super dark environments got a bit tiring.

Also, I keep pressing 3 to get to the shotgun like in old doom, maybe I need to re-map the keys haha

also ... audiologs should be banned from video games. laziest way to shoehorn story / longevity into gameplay.

Agreed, dont know why those became so ubiquitous, it's an annoying trend.

I think Id played their cards right this time. Every flaw with Doom 3 they took into account and rectified. They also seemed much more in tune with the still-active mod community surrounding Classic Doom.

It was like a breath of fresh air (no pun intended) the first time you step out into the open Martian landscape and not have to worry about asphyxiation from limited O2 reserves.

I'm wondering about the SnapMap tho...can we only develop arena-style maps for multiplayer, or is it campaign-friendly?

Well, that's not what I want from nintendo at all.

got doom but i'm back to dark souls 3 for now :unsure:

i'm so brutally annoyed with those glory kills, so you shoot the shit out of a demon and then they just stagger and you punch em, noooo goddamnit

oh is THAT how it works?! I guess that's what you get for not reading the tutorial text. I was wondering what the glow was. I just thought that the melee attack had to recharge or something.

I like how it looks like you can change the difficulty level mid-game.

how is the multi?? I just watched some playthrough bits and I'm really curious about it now. I was going to avoid it because it seemed too, er... Halo-ey. but if it brings back the oldschool high-speed twitch madness, then I'll probably check it out.