IGNORED

What Video Games Are You Currently Playing

Joyrex

I may have a go if you can do battle. Think i'll leave it till then. I've seen lots of people talking about it but nobody on the street obviously playing it. I guess it's not *officially* out in the UK yet but it's still in all UK media.

I may have a go if you can do battle. Think i'll leave it till then. I've seen lots of people talking about it but nobody on the street obviously playing it. I guess it's not *officially* out in the UK yet but it's still in all UK media.

you can battle but it's very different form traditional pokemon. you're not battling another player you're battling an ai controlled pokemon that another player has left behind after taking over a gym and my understanding is that the battle itself basically consists of tapping your phone as fast as possible.

OK, I did end up getting Assault Suits Leynos and Song of the Deep - my impressions (for anyone interested):

Song of the Deep - Made by Insomniac, aka the Ratchet and Clank folks (we'll forget about F.U.S.E, mmmkay?) this game which has been described as "metroidvania" (aka large map, lots of backtracking, abilities acquired to access other areas previously inaccessible) reminds me more of the classic Sunsoft NES/Famicom game Blaster Master (a vehicular platformer/adventure) in that your protagonist pilots a submarine to find her lost father. The artwork is very good, and the soundtrack is perfectly suited for a deep sea adventure. The character artwork is a bit Ghibli-esque in some parts, which is not a bad thing, and the challenges and obstacles are not overly difficult (so far). Definitely worth a look further if you are looking for something different if you are Overwatched out, and not a bad deal for 14.99 USD.

Assault Suits Leynos - A remake of the classic Genesis/Mega Drive game "Target Earth", this 1990 side scrolling shooter/platformer was one of my favourites back then, due to unique (at the time) gameplay and the anime-themed storyline and art direction. The update stays true to its roots for better or worse, and a 26-year old game remade today can sometimes be a bit clunky but fun. This game, like the original is hard, and the addition of Japanese voiceovers for the story progression is a nice touch that back in 1990 wouldn't have been possible on cartridge. Is it worth 19.99 USD? Probably not. I haven't gotten too far into the game, and my memories of how hard this game was to beat do not make me look forward to beating it again, but if you are a fan of the original, you will be pleased with how closely the remake stuck to its source material.

I just noticed a stupid Belgian reality tv show using a Deus Ex: Human Revolution track

This is it guys. It's finally happening, thankfully. Next step: video game music gets integrated into high art.

^ Still exaite for Mankind Divided

I'm on another XCOM 2 playthrough. I already restarted on it twice though, having not been satisfied with the Alien Hunters DLC - the Ruler Aliens are absurdly tough with honestly corny insight to Dr. Vahlen's fate. I did manage to complete the special mission featured in Shen's Last Gift though, which rewards you with a new robotic soldier class.

Just finished the Blacksite mission on the current playthrough, but got hit with a retaliation mission immediately after. The timing is too close to be a coincidence.

As for No Man's Sky, the latest news is that it's only gonna be 6 GB in file size (about one-tenth that of GTA V): http://gamerant.com/no-mans-sky-6-gb-file-size/

There’s simply too much content in No Man’s Sky for each planet to have been lovingly crafted by Hello Games. The file size can remain low because the visual representation of individual worlds (and their inhabitants) is based on a complex broth of deterministic algorithms and random number generators.

mm2 is one of the easier ones, no? i think it's one of the first ones i beat (like 20 years ago). it's the one with the dragon in one of wily's stage i think

sure is. the very same stage featuring one of the best musics in video game history. mm2 is indeed relatively easy (especially compared to 1) and one of the main reasons for that is this OP fella:

Metalsprite.gif

- hyper economical.

- fires in 8 directions.

- effective against multiple robot masters (including the ability to even one-shot himself).

- even his stage is one of the easiest so starting with him is a no brainer.

... the platforming is rather mild, too imo.

thanks to this thread i got inspired to finally check out out 9 and 10 via emulator. both very nice indeed (figured 10 is kinda underrated) and decidedly harder than the classics (or my skills just got rusty). but the music doesn't hold a candle to the first 4 titles imo, those are nothing less than works for the ages.

Edited by jaderpansen

mm2 is one of the easier ones, no? i think it's one of the first ones i beat (like 20 years ago). it's the one with the dragon in one of wily's stage i think

sure is. the very same stage featuring one of the best musics in video game history. mm2 is indeed relatively easy (especially compared to 1) and one of the main reasons for that is this OP fella:

Metalsprite.gif

- hyper economical.

- fires in 8 directions.

- effective against multiple robot masters (including the ability to even one-shot himself).

- even his stage is one of the easiest so starting with him is a no brainer.

... the platforming is rather mild, too imo.

thanks to this thread i got inspired to finally check out out 9 and 10 via emulator. both very nice indeed (figured 10 is kinda underrated) and decidedly harder than the classics (or my skills just got rusty). but the music doesn't hold a candle to the first 4 titles imo, those are nothing less than works for the ages.

What emulator are you playing 9 and 10 on? I thought they were PS3 games...

Think there's a Wii emulator (Dolphin?) - might be on that...

Ah, yes - in fact, they came out with a major update to that emulator, and MM9 and 10 were on the Wii...

9 and 10 did have some of the best robot masters though, right? wasn't there sheep man and like, baseball man or something? did everyone here beat the sfxmm game they released a few years ago for free? i mean it was a bit buggy and easy but still worth going through i think. some good tunes too: http://www.capcom-unity.com/mega_man

*edit* oh looks like they released a v.2 that maybe got rid of some of the bugs

Edited by juiceciuj

same $20 and get a raspberry pi with 1000s of games. the only thing that kind of had me excited about hat thing was the idea of them making an official usb nes controller but it's got the fucking wii controller port on it instead -_-

same $20 and get a raspberry pi with 1000s of games. the only thing that kind of had me excited about hat thing was the idea of them making an official usb nes controller but it's got the fucking wii controller port on it instead -_-

Well, what do you expect them to do with the 81 million pairs of those connectors left from the 100 million Wii U's they said they would sell? :dadjoke:

As a slight plus, this means you will be able to use the NES controller with the Wii U rather than that horrible Wii Remote held sideways for VC games...

And, you can get a 3D printed NES shell for the Raspberry Pi easily online as well.

If it isn't capable of adding more games to it, I will probably pass. Given the size of the modern hard drive and the size of the average game of the time (4MB?) there's no reason why they can't offer straight ports of other games, or even the entire NES catalogue.

Nintendo should buy the rights to games that are owned by now-defunct studios and release them as DLC.

can't add new games. can't take any additional physical media. has one usb port but it's supposedly only for power. definitely gonna pass. cute idea but terribly executed.

also fml gonna miss evo 90% of evo including finals this weekend =\

If it isn't capable of adding more games to it, I will probably pass. Given the size of the modern hard drive and the size of the average game of the time (4MB?) there's no reason why they can't offer straight ports of other games, or even the entire NES catalogue.

Nintendo should buy the rights to games that are owned by now-defunct studios and release them as DLC.

They could have made it like the NEO GEO X and offered collections of games on SD card format.

Honestly I think this is just to undercut the potential money they lose to the emulator scene, although they could have stemmed that by making the Virtual Console something people actually wanted to use with the right price points.

Fun fact - these games, if bought via the Virtual Console, would cost around 150 USD, so you're getting a bargain at 60 USD for the console AND the games.

Guest bitroast

yeh. im interested in it but the excecution dont work for me. controller would be cool but the necessity of needing to plug into wiimote and needing batteries for wiimote and needing to sync it already sounds like too much of a headache.

Apparently Hyper Light Drifter is coming to PS4 and XBOne on the 26th. Already beat it on PC in April, but it's right up your alley if you guys are into the old school Metroid and Zelda games. It's like those two combined but with Dark Souls style combat. Soundtrack is dope too.

Edited by ambermonk