IGNORED

What Video Games Are You Currently Playing

Joyrex

Guest jasondonervan

If you cannot wait, there's the first half hour on YouTube:

How are you supposed to have horror immersion with a giant glowing Wii U controller blinking on the screen? Any unsettling art direction is immediately undone by that UI.

[edit] referring to the bit around 18:40

i'm guessing the giant glowing Wii U controlling blinking on the screen means to look away from the TV screen and divert your eyes to the gamepad screen, which would have different footage and no blinking gamepad icon and has to be used as a motion controller for that scene. doesn't strike me as the worst thing ever.

The game is getting criticism due to abundant fanservice...

gq0r2mepb6bclh5ziyn4.jpg

http://kotaku.com/gamers-wonder-when-fatal-frame-got-this-erotic-1641111438

Yeah, they shouldn't really have gone so far with this - completely out of context. Shoe-horning in Ayane from the Dead or Alive series is awkward enough (but just about passable as she at least has a dedicated playable story), but this sort of thing is just unnecessary.

now all they need are assets made by tdr and it'll be fried gold

https://www.facebook.com/thedesignersrepublic/posts/10152853141527214

Please be exaited

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Oh my yes.

jaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

definitely getting alien isolation for ps4. the character animations look hilariously shitty (straight outta half-life 1), but the actual game looks pretty damn awesome.

Playing a shitload of tetris although i want a good downloadable version cuz i hate all the ads on tetrisfriends. Thinking of maybe running the original with an emulator

Shadow of the Collasus. Very fun, beaten 3 bosses so far. Sometimes it feels a bit clunky tho

Tie Fighter. Played a bit, basically beat X Wing years ago( except for the extremely hard B Wing levels.) Feels almost identical to X Wing

I play Tetris almost every day. I run an emulator of the original since I dislike most versions beyond it.

Playing a shitload of tetris although i want a good downloadable version cuz i hate all the ads on tetrisfriends. Thinking of maybe running the original with an emulator

Shadow of the Collasus. Very fun, beaten 3 bosses so far. Sometimes it feels a bit clunky tho

Tie Fighter. Played a bit, basically beat X Wing years ago( except for the extremely hard B Wing levels.) Feels almost identical to X Wing

They're making a Tetris movie. Seriously.

Lol, i was jamming out hard on tetris and my brother can in the room and told me this. Just realize, someone pitched this idea to some producers and they liked it

I play Tetris almost every day. I run an emulator of the original since I dislike most versions beyond it.

What emulator do you use?

Guest jasondonervan

Elite Dangerous went into Beta 2.0 yesterday. Some general connection issues and whatnot aside, the game has come on leaps and bounds. It is even more visually stunning, and combat feels substantial/harder (this is a good thing) than previous builds. Even little touches like Chis Cunningham/Alien-esque ship display interference are making me giddy with exaitment.

elitedangerous322014-uaxet.png

Z1gQii1.gif

Elite Dangerous went into Beta 2.0 yesterday. Some general connection issues and whatnot aside, the game has come on leaps and bounds. It is even more visually stunning, and combat feels substantial/harder (this is a good thing) than previous builds. Even little touches like Chis Cunningham/Alien-esque ship display interference are making me giddy with exaitment.

Oh wow I didn't know about this. Looks awesome. The Star Citizen thing is taking forever to show up, that'd keep me waiting!

Can you tell me more about it? How demanding is it computer-wise? I've checked on canyourunit-like sites already but I don't really trust these anymore since they've gotten it wrong so many times.

Finally fixed my graphic card issue and been through The Witcher 2 a second time on a different side of the story. Damn, siding with Iorverth is way way way more fun than with Roche... Looking forward to the third episode now, even though I highly doubt I'll be able to run it.

I also got back to EU4. Such a good strategy game. It's just a shame I get fucked every time I'm becoming powerful and "threatening" to my neighbours.

Edited by Perezvon

Guest jasondonervan

Oh wow I didn't know about this. Looks awesome. The Star Citizen thing is taking forever to show up, that'd keep me waiting!

Can you tell me more about it? How demanding is it computer-wise? I've checked on canyourunit-like sites already but I don't really trust these anymore since they've gotten it wrong so many times.

What would you like to know about the game, specifically? As far as specs go, I was running a single GTX 680 on previous beta builds and it handled great, just swapped in a GTX 970 last weekend and 2.0 looks/runs fantastically. I dial some settings back like disabling ambient occlusion and dip the motion blur to smooth performance, otherwise all settings are dialed up to the max. Oh, and I'm using 8GB RAM.

I've yet to use my Oculus Rift DK2 with the new beta, need to set some time aside to have a proper session with it *kisses reality goodbye*

I couldnt get through the witcher 1, it got to a point where i was given the mission 'find 500 orens' basically because i needed to buy some dude something, which literally took about 2 or 3 hours, and then immediately after the next mission was 'find 300 orens' so i gave up.

i have given the witcher 2 the benefit of the doubt though and just started that, seems much more fun, the change of combat style from point and click to actual combat seems way better.

Edited by messiaen

What emulator do you use?

Nestopia, since I use a Mac.

If you want to play a brutal, weird version of Tetris, try the Sega Mega Drive version (it's also one of the most rarest Mega Drive games as it was pulled from production and only a few exist):

What would you like to know about the game, specifically? As far as specs go, I was running a single GTX 680 on previous beta builds and it handled great, just swapped in a GTX 970 last weekend and 2.0 looks/runs fantastically. I dial some settings back like disabling ambient occlusion and dip the motion blur to smooth performance, otherwise all settings are dialed up to the max. Oh, and I'm using 8GB RAM.

I've yet to use my Oculus Rift DK2 with the new beta, need to set some time aside to have a proper session with it *kisses reality goodbye*

Is it like a sandbox where you're just thrown in, taking forever to figure out how to make stuff ? or is it "easy" to get into ?

Damn, nice PC you got there. I just have a laptop, that's able to run The Witcher 2 and some pretty nice games actually, but still... I wish there was a demo for this game.

I couldnt get through the witcher 1, it got to a point where i was given the mission 'find 500 orens' basically because i needed to buy some dude something, which literally took about 2 or 3 hours, and then immediately after the next mission was 'find 300 orens' so i gave up.

i have given the witcher 2 the benefit of the doubt though and just started that, seems much more fun, the change of combat style from point and click to actual combat seems way better.

Yeah the first one is pretty difficult to get into and the swamp is a real pain in the butt. But then I was so in love with the lore, the plot and all those little stories in the quests that everything became enjoyable.

I'm a few hours into Shadow of Mordor and am pleasantly surprised at how difficult it's been so far. I'm dying more than I expected I would. This is great as it keeps me challenged and interested in each battle. I'm getting a cool glimpse into how Uruk society/hierarchy works. When you die by the hand of an Uruk, he grows in power and is sometimes promoted in rank, if there is an opening. They sometimes fight each other too. They are, after all, a brutal, savage race.

So far I'm really enjoying it. I would definitely recommend it. I can also see more evidence that this was a new-gen game first and they are porting it to previous-gen consoles. The game is already released on XBone, PC and PS4 with the XB360 and PS3 versions to come later. The graphics aren't the best I've seen, but they certainly have beautiful landscapes.

I'mma go play it now...

Why are all these Japanese games stuck in the 90s?

Good question. Japanese games has always been console games and they basically dominated that market in the 90s and early 00s. When developers found out how to make fairly decent controls for shooters on consoles everything shifted and the PC shooters were now part of the console experience ehich then slowly pushed the Japanese games over the edge. And instead of looking at the market and then at themselves Japanese developers kept on doing what they'd been doing for so many years. And look where they are now.

...at least that's my theory.

Japan doesn't have the gun culture that we unfortunately have in the US, so shooters aren't as big. Hence the death of Xbox in japan. Mobile rules that country, specifically 3DS and to a lesser extent smartphones.

I bought Ridge Racer for the Vita cheap in a sale but it turns out most of the features are online competitive modes and no-one else plays the game but me. All alone in a racing lobby, waiting to challenge someone... :(

Why are all these Japanese games stuck in the 90s?

Good question. Japanese games has always been console games and they basically dominated that market in the 90s and early 00s. When developers found out how to make fairly decent controls for shooters on consoles everything shifted and the PC shooters were now part of the console experience ehich then slowly pushed the Japanese games over the edge. And instead of looking at the market and then at themselves Japanese developers kept on doing what they'd been doing for so many years. And look where they are now.

...at least that's my theory.

I think they've moved beyond that, finally - look at Dark Souls for instance - it takes the best of Western Action RPGs/MMORPGs and has a uniquely Japanese take on them.

Japan doesn't have the gun culture that we unfortunately have in the US, so shooters aren't as big. Hence the death of Xbox in japan. Mobile rules that country, specifically 3DS and to a lesser extent smartphones.

XBOX died in Japan due to there being no games that appealed to Japanese gamers - all the titles being developed in Japan were PS1/PS2/PS3 because Microsoft had zero interest in promoting the console or courting Japanese devs for it.

Cave did take to it though, as some of the best shumps that are mostly Japan only are strangely on the 360...

We're saying the same thing basically, Xbox (since HALO) has lived & died as an FPS console, which isn't as popular in Asia. compound that with a token effort from MS, and the xenophobic nature of some Japanese and you see why Xbox fails, just look at that launch line!

AC124E12-22A7-40E2-BE53-6BC7BD1144EB_zps

Guest jasondonervan

Mobile is ruling the roost in Japan right now, to the detriment of dedicated gaming hardware. Nintendo have had to bat off shareholders who are screaming for the company to produce software for smartphones, but they're having none of it.

3DS is still doing well, but this is mainly due to the runaway success of key titles like Youkai Watch (for kids, essentially the makings of a new brand phenomenon a la Pokemon), and nabbing the recent games in the perpetually popular Monster Hunter series (teenagers/young adults).