IGNORED

What Video Games Are You Currently Playing

Joyrex

I couldnt get through the witcher 1, it got to a point where i was given the mission 'find 500 orens' basically because i needed to buy some dude something, which literally took about 2 or 3 hours, and then immediately after the next mission was 'find 300 orens' so i gave up.

i have given the witcher 2 the benefit of the doubt though and just started that, seems much more fun, the change of combat style from point and click to actual combat seems way better.

You're better off playing Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor. Similar combat style but the cinematics don't make you want to barf. I bought w2 on xbox360 and couldn't even stomach it. Shadow of Mordor is awesome though. Super fun mixture of assassin's creed and batman arkham city style gameplay. graphics are amazing as well.

Guest Enter a new display name

Japan doesn't have the gun culture that we unfortunately have in the US, so shooters aren't as big. Hence the death of Xbox in japan. Mobile rules that country, specifically 3DS and to a lesser extent smartphones.

XBOX died in Japan due to there being no games that appealed to Japanese gamers - all the titles being developed in Japan were PS1/PS2/PS3 because Microsoft had zero interest in promoting the console or courting Japanese devs for it.

Cave did take to it though, as some of the best shumps that are mostly Japan only are strangely on the 360...

Ironically, I just ordered a Japanese Xbox 360 console today to play region-locked Cave games.

Guest jasondonervan

Japan doesn't have the gun culture that we unfortunately have in the US, so shooters aren't as big. Hence the death of Xbox in japan. Mobile rules that country, specifically 3DS and to a lesser extent smartphones.

XBOX died in Japan due to there being no games that appealed to Japanese gamers - all the titles being developed in Japan were PS1/PS2/PS3 because Microsoft had zero interest in promoting the console or courting Japanese devs for it.

Cave did take to it though, as some of the best shumps that are mostly Japan only are strangely on the 360...

Ironically, I just ordered a Japanese Xbox 360 console today to play region-locked Cave games.

A fair few were region-free. Back when I had my 360, I had Espgaluda 2 and Mushihimesama Futari - they both ran fine on a UK PAL box. Akai Katana and Deathsmiles were released domestically so even less of a problem.

Are you getting the CAVE box set collection that came out a little while back?

Guest Enter a new display name

A fair few were region-free. Back when I had my 360, I had Espgaluda 2 and Mushihimesama Futari - they both ran fine on a UK PAL box. Akai Katana and Deathsmiles were released domestically so even less of a problem.

Are you getting the CAVE box set collection that came out a little while back?

I already own most of the region free Cave games on Xbox 360 (Dodonpachi Resurrection, Dodonpachi SaiDaiOuJou, Mushihimesama Futari, Espgaluda II Black Label, Akai Katana and Guwange) + Ketsui on PS3. I only ordered a japanese Xbox 360 for Mushihimesama HD and Dodonpachi DaiOuJou Black Label Extra.

I don't even consider getting the Cave Shooting Collection considering its price. Getting the games individually is enough for me and I don't feel the need to collect the soundtrack and superplay discs.

Edited by Enter a new display name

tekken 7 location tests going on through this weekend in japan. new changes look pretty interesting. looks like they're trying to reach out to the casual audience with cinematic supers ala street fighter 4. right now all the footage is offscreen but namco is supposed to start direct streams sometime on the 4th and 5th (which is about 30minutes from now in japan).

pretty comprehensive coverage for tekken stuff here http://www.avoidingthepuddle.com/

i'm a huge tekken fanboy

tekken 7 location tests going on through this weekend in japan. new changes look pretty interesting. looks like they're trying to reach out to the casual audience with cinematic supers ala street fighter 4. right now all the footage is offscreen but namco is supposed to start direct streams sometime on the 4th and 5th (which is about 30minutes from now in japan).

pretty comprehensive coverage for tekken stuff here http://www.avoidingthepuddle.com/

i'm a huge tekken fanboy

I like Tekken as well... was big into Tekken 6 for a while, but fell out of favour once Super/Ultra Street Fighter IV came around...

Alien Isolation sure got shit on, can't we make a decent Alien game??

I wasn't surprised - as good as it looked, the gameplay is what will make or break an Alien game.

Super Smash Bros 3DS is out today - I can't help but feel for Nintendo, as only the hardcore and those not planning on buying a Wii U will buy the 3DS version - they really should have released the 3DS version AFTER the Wii U version, as folks who bought the 3DS version may not be willing to buy the console version...

Guest Roksen Creek

"Ex Wipeout Devs team up with The Designers Republic™ to create a new AG Racer -‘Formula Fusion’.

Middlesborough, UK –Oct. 03, 2014 – R8 Games Ltd and The Designers Republic™ announced today that they will be joining forces to develop a new spiritual successor to Wipeout; Formula Fusion. Combining decades of development and design expertise, Formula Fusion will represent the next big leap forward for the genre onto next gen consoles."

https://www.facebook.com/R8Games/posts/810636365625560

I wasn't surprised - as good as it looked, the gameplay is what will make or break an Alien game.

got shit on? 84% on gamerankings, 79 at metacritic. a bunch of 8-9/10s.

original.jpg

lol IGN

Edited by data

Been playing Shadow of Mordor all week, ridiculously fun... Haven't touched Destiny since I picked it up tbh. The "nemesis" system the Uruk legions use is really cool, combat is like a more aggressive faster paced Arkham City, the visuals are gorgeous even the Uruks are wonderully grotesque and detailed. On top of this the story (from what I've gotten through of it) is pretty damn cool too. It's super addicting, and has all the right elements to become one of the bigger sleeper hits of the year. I'm not even a huge LotR fan, this game is just awesome.

"Ex Wipeout Devs team up with The Designers Republic™ to create a new AG Racer -‘Formula Fusion’.

Middlesborough, UK –Oct. 03, 2014 – R8 Games Ltd and The Designers Republic™ announced today that they will be joining forces to develop a new spiritual successor to Wipeout; Formula Fusion. Combining decades of development and design expertise, Formula Fusion will represent the next big leap forward for the genre onto next gen consoles."

https://www.facebook.com/R8Games/posts/810636365625560

"q2 2016" :(

Guest jasondonervan

original.jpg

lol IGN

Review scores: the best way to see how someone else feels about something. I've always found it interesting how much faith people can put into a single review(er), or even the notion that the meta will derive a laser-sighted accurate summary from a cadre of reviewers with different backgrounds, opposing expectations and whatever else. Reading a review from a single site is the same as sitting with the opinionated bloke who's always down the pub on a quiet weekday evening, who is certain his opinion is always right. Reading a grab bag from metacritic is like being stood in the middle of the same pub but on a Friday night, filled to the rafters while a cacaphony of various discussions rings around the room.

The best way to use sites like metacritic is to read reviews with the worst scores, it's certainly more effective/enlightening to read someone pick out the negative aspects of something, at least they're likely to be marginally more honest than those heaping the praise on (unless they're going out of their way to trash something).

Been playing Shadow of Mordor all week, ridiculously fun... Haven't touched Destiny since I picked it up tbh. The "nemesis" system the Uruk legions use is really cool, combat is like a more aggressive faster paced Arkham City, the visuals are gorgeous even the Uruks are wonderully grotesque and detailed. On top of this the story (from what I've gotten through of it) is pretty damn cool too. It's super addicting, and has all the right elements to become one of the bigger sleeper hits of the year. I'm not even a huge LotR fan, this game is just awesome.

I'm glad I'm not the only one enjoying it this much.

original.jpg

lol IGN

Review scores: the best way to see how someone else feels about something. I've always found it interesting how much faith people can put into a single review(er), or even the notion that the meta will derive a laser-sighted accurate summary from a cadre of reviewers with different backgrounds, opposing expectations and whatever else. Reading a review from a single site is the same as sitting with the opinionated bloke who's always down the pub on a quiet weekday evening, who is certain his opinion is always right. Reading a grab bag from metacritic is like being stood in the middle of the same pub but on a Friday night, filled to the rafters while a cacaphony of various discussions rings around the room.

The best way to use sites like metacritic is to read reviews with the worst scores, it's certainly more effective/enlightening to read someone pick out the negative aspects of something, at least they're likely to be marginally more honest than those heaping the praise on (unless they're going out of their way to trash something).

reading comments is good too. This whole preorder thing doesn't work with that though. heh, something borderline like an aliens game though, come on, you've got to be suss about it going in to the whole thinking about buying process. Guess you guys are just more obsessed with the franchise than i am.

anyone else playing Hyrule Warriors? it's mostly fan service but it's great fan service

not yet. my friend was pretty stoked about getting it... i might see him soon he probably has picked it up.