IGNORED

What Video Games Are You Currently Playing

Joyrex

I hope that there's areas with dense vegetation because the landscapes in FO3 and NV were way too bland & monotone for me to really be excited to explore (as opposed to Elder Scrolls worlds). Radiation doesn't stop plant life! Look at Chernobyl...

I'm definitely super excited for it. It looks like a lot of fun to me. I got the platinum trophy and played all of the DLC for both Fallout 3 and NV, and would have kept playing them if they had more quests and stuff to do. I'm not sick of that type of game design at all. Bring on Fallout 4 and give me tons more content and story to play as usual. I can't bloody wait!

Looks exactly the same as the previous 2 Fallouts so far. Not much to get excited about.

yeah except the story and exploring the Fallout universe some more, but who cares about that.

exactly lol.

Also the graphics look pretty great to me, I don't know what everyone else is talking about.

I'm not talking about the graphics, I don't care about that. If by 'exploring the universe' you mean more copy+paste vaults and buildings then sure, I agree.

Don't get me wrong, I love fallout 3/NV but they are the same game with different skins and this looks like more of the same.

I do have hopes they'll mix it up a bit but we'll see.

each vault had a story. some of them tied into the main quest, which has always added to the lore. plus sidequests that gave you further insight into the world. plus expansions with their own setting and atmosphere. tons of interesting locations and characters and easter eggs and random funny shit. have we even been playing the same game?

I'm hoping for a slightly faster pace to the gameplay. Kind of like Skyrim vs Oblivion type of thing, streamlined with a slightly faster pace.

Somehow I think FO4 might be based on Skyrim's game engine, but I could be wrong. Regardless, it would be nice to be able to sprint and have special powers or abilities, with more realistic combat. And if the environment looks as lush in-game as it did in the trailer, that'd be nice too.

Game trailers usually have better graphics than the finished product. Juss sayin.

That was my exact impression when I first played Bioshock Infinite, but I'm still optimistic about the final product.

I hope that there's areas with dense vegetation because the landscapes in FO3 and NV were way too bland & monotone for me to really be excited to explore (as opposed to Elder Scrolls worlds). Radiation doesn't stop plant life! Look at Chernobyl...

Ever play any of the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games? They're all PC-exclusive, but in the first one you actually go to Chernobyl, while still being open-world.

^ The stalker games are really awesome. Grab a high res texture pack and the graphics become awesome. That and it's incredibly difficult if you play on a higher difficulty, and they are pretty long too. 1st one and the 3rd one are really good, second one was kinda meh.

That team went on to make the metro games, metro 2033 and Last Light (both decent fps IMO).

Metro was made by the same guys who made S.T.A.L.K.E.R.? I didn't know that, but it makes perfect sense.

Yeah S.T.A.L.K.E.R. fans are almost unanimous in the sentiment that the second game is the least impressive. I tried it myself and I can see why. SoC and CoP are both legit tho, and there's plenty of mods out there for them too.

Edited by ambermonk

Guest bitroast

i think we're at a point in gaming where graphics aren't super important. smart design, good gameplay, good world/level design tied into good gameplay + smart design, etc etc etc. is the important stuff.. shiny nice graphics is a bonus but not essential. game graphics have looked good since ~end of ps2 era any how. to my eyes anyway. good design > good graphics.

having said that. fallout 4 looks fucking incredible. i'm excited to play it not so much because of the shiny graphics, but because of better console implementation and controls in line with what skyrim introduced. :)

(good example of good design > good graphics for would have to be ... the souls games..

demon's souls and dark souls are older and run on more dated engine than dark souls 2. has poorer lighting, resolutions etc. however, smarter level design and world implementation in dark souls/demons souls means it's a better looking game than dark souls 2, despite all the bells and whistles the graphics of dark souls 2 has to offer. graphics don't mean shit.)

Edited by bitroast

Fallout 3 wasn't exactly the most amazing looking game graphically either (dem faces), in case ya'll forgot:

faces21.jpg

But it was an amazing game nonetheless.

And it is at the expense of a vast, open and explorable map, so I don't care (and actually I don't think it looks bad - also... colors)

This is definitely the upcoming game that I'm most excited for.

Edited by Npoess

I'll definitely look into Stalker. I remember hearing they were good back in the day but I was a console pleb back then. Totally gonna check them out now.

So Clear Sky should be avoided but the other two are good?

i think we're at a point in gaming where graphics aren't super important. smart design, good gameplay, good world/level design tied into good gameplay + smart design, etc etc etc. is the important stuff.. shiny nice graphics is a bonus but not essential. game graphics have looked good since ~end of ps2 era any how. to my eyes anyway. good design > good graphics.

That point was reached long ago. There have alwasy been good games with bad graphics. Not to mention the other way around.

There's also the fact that good art direction can make up for bad graphics, but usually not the other way around. A super high resolution turd is still a turd.

Anyways, I'm playing Pixel Dungeon. I don't have time to get immersed in games as much as I used to and I seem to die very quickly in this, so that helps.

graphics is a big part of immersion and proper atmosphere construction and therefore a big part of gameplay, especially in games like those, but as long as consoles exist we'll continue to suffer this bullshit. forcing gaming to conform to low consoles standards when it comes to control and graphics is kinda like forcing musicians to release music in 96kbps mp3s.

I'll definitely look into Stalker. I remember hearing they were good back in the day but I was a console pleb back then. Totally gonna check them out now.

So Clear Sky should be avoided but the other two are good?

Yeah pretty much. If you decide to avoid Clear Sky you wouldn't be missing much. But definitely check out Shadow of Chernobyl and Call of Pripyat. SoC has some similarities to FO3 but actually pre-dates it by a year and a half. As before, it's worth checking into the mods as well, especially the Stalker Complete mod.

I have nothing to say about graphics really, as I played Alien: Isolation at 60fps on my pc and loved it, so if it's done right, count me in. That said, I wish more developers would stylize their graphic styles a bit more, rather than realism for realism's sake. Real life is realistic--let's go a bit fantastical with the game worlds, 'k? Like those aliens, or the working joes.

No Man's Sky, for example, looks absolutely incredible. Put me up for that!

I have nothing to say about graphics really, as I played Alien: Isolation at 60fps on my pc and loved it, so if it's done right, count me in. That said, I wish more developers would stylize their graphic styles a bit more, rather than realism for realism's sake. Real life is realistic--let's go a bit fantastical with the game worlds, 'k? Like those aliens, or the working joes.

No Man's Sky, for example, looks absolutely incredible. Put me up for that!

Amen!

Also, I would think that Fallout is a hard game to show off in a trailer. It's a very slow and static game compared to so many other games (just look at GTA) so making a captivating trailer for it must be extremely hard. But hey, I really like the setting they've chosen and I love the universe. Sign me the fuck up!

Fallout has its own legion of followers (or mutants) so they don't need a trailer to sell it. The trailer is pretty much preaching to the converted (or the irradiated?).

Game trailers usually have better graphics than the finished product. Juss sayin.

pretty much, perhaps they're aiming for a nintendo wii U exclusive release.

ho ho ho, mothafokkrz, you want some of this.

Regarding Stalker: SoC, as much as I adore it, the first hour or so is like dragging your balls through rusty nails, particular the first mission where you need to clear out a yard of bandits. It gets better once your gear is a bit more respectable, trust me.

can't believe I woke up at 6:00 am to see that trailer. I'm not morbidly disappointed. Gotta say, I really loved the DLC from NV. Dead Money, Old World Blues. Those were vivd, strange and colorful. Old World Blues especially, with all of its crazy technology stuff. If the institute is a big deal in Fallout 4 then probably there will be more of that. The thing that always wowed me was how most of the population in fallout games lived primitively and then you'd suddenly get this intrusion of super high tech stuff.

Obsidian Entertainment is what makes the games good.

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords (released for Xbox in 2004 and for PC in 2005)
Neverwinter Nights 2 (released for PC in 2006)
Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer (released for PC in 2007)
Neverwinter Nights 2: Storm of Zehir (released for PC in 2008)
Alpha Protocol (May 28, 2010)
Fallout: New Vegas (Oct 19, 2010)
Dungeon Siege III (Jun 21, 2011)
Wheel of Time (Future game, co-developers)
South Park: The Stick of Truth (2014)
Pillars of Eternity (2014)

Regarding Stalker: SoC, as much as I adore it, the first hour or so is like dragging your balls through rusty nails, particular the first mission where you need to clear out a yard of bandits. It gets better once your gear is a bit more respectable, trust me.

Yeah even though there's no XP system you'll find yourself upgrading your gear pretty much after every time you complete a main quest.

I also like the fact that individual weapons are quite versatile for as many as there are, thus allowing you to fight more efficiently with a smaller arsenal. I prefer this to becoming a walking pile of guns like in classic shooters, since it adds to the realism. But I've rambled on about this game enough.

It's added to the wishlist and I'll definitely be giving it a try. So if I'm not mistaken there's no XP/attributes/min maxing and it's all just a matter of getting better gear? (kinda like Far Cry 3 if you started with all the skills and didn't have to earn em?)

Cuz I'm totally cool with that and that seems like it would fun. I already get my stat-obsession fix with Borderlands 2.

the RPG system in the Stalker games is subtle and mostly hidden, you don't have to involve yourself in it at all. the real appeal of Stalker is the atmosphere and the combat, literally stalking.