^^^ it's interesting you didn't like the "long stares" because that's actually what made me laugh the most. i think louis provokes those awkward moments to try and give his films character and sometimes they can backfire (eg. in the case of 'louis and the nazis' when he gets kicked out of the skinhead house because he wouldn't tell them if he was jewish or not and just stared them down)

i thought this documentary would've easily been boring had it not been for the scientologists who kept showing up to film them which only validated what he was trying to say about them.

I agree but I still thought it was a bit too much.

"Let me stare at you without saying anything because it'll be awkward and the audience will love that!"

^^ maybe you're right. i think i've come to expect that kind of behavior from theroux. although, a friend, who watched the film with my girlfriend and i, didn't like it as much, not only for the reason you mentioned, but because he didn't feel he learned anything new about scientology after watching 'coming clear'.

personally, i did. although, it's more about what is verified by proxy and perhaps, not through theroux's own hand/camera

The Conjuring 2 - Fun, would have been more fun if it wasn't over two hours long. I thought the most unbelievable aspect of this film was the house having a massive basement, but I've just seen the nun wasn't played by Marilyn Manson. I was finding the beginning creepy until I realised who it was and laughed at the ridiculous stunt casting, but it's not even him, it's like the evil spirit in Sinister being the guitarist from Slipknot but not, why does this keep happening?

Edited by tec

The Beautiful Country

In my opinion, this is one of the unsung greats of American (and Norwegian) cinema. Utterly beautiful and devastatingly realistic in its epic depiction of a young Vietnamese man fleeing his country to find his American father.

Edited by chim

certain women - great as expected. reichardt is just one of those filmmakers who make perfect movies (whether you personally like them or not), you really get that sense that she gets everything completely right and exactly as intended. every scene feels meaningful and in the right place...the acting, music, cinematography and sound - all flawless. this one is probably closest to "wendy and lucy" with its understated emotional intensity and humanism, but more loaded with things to say about different issues the 4 women brush with. the third story especially is quietly devastating despite being completely familiar, which again proves how great of a director reichardt is. it really left me quite stunned, forcing to soak it all in till the very end of credits.

will investigate.

i love james le gros too so that helps :)

Train to Busan - The zombies from World War Z invade the train from Snowpiercer. It's not particularly original but has its moments and I was weirdly affected by the end because I'm a wimp. Worth a watch.

The Wailing

Typical South Korean movie but I thought it was pretty good. By western standards it's a fucking mess and I do think the last hour could have been tidied up quite a bit. I don't know if it's a Korean thing or simply because something gets lots in translation but parts of it was needlessly confusing.

Hunt for the Wilderpeople

Had recently re-watched 'What We Do in the Shadow" and was keen to see more from Taika Waititi...and was not disappointed! Absolutely loved this. Fun from start to end. Everyone and everything is pulling its weight here, from acting to soundtracking to editing, all top shelf. Highly recommended! 

81-hunt-for-the-wilderpeople.jpg

Man Vs Snake: The Long and Twisted Tale of Nibbler

Pretty much the same film as "King of Kong", but that doesn't stop it from being any less entertaining - fun easy watch.

My Scientology Movie

Good docu. Casting actors for Cruise and in particular Miscavige was an interesting and effective angle to approach the subject.

Also interesting to see a different side of Marty, strange that he would suddenly become so unhinged. You'd think he'd be used to it after 20 plus years of dealing with squirrel busters, hope they're not starting to get to him too much.

captain fantastic - easily the second worst film of 2016 i've seen (as swiss army man cannot be beaten in that regard). it's literally a screen adaptation of this tattoo (not necessarily the content, but the idea)+an hour some of the most banal family melodrama.

Edited by eugene

patriots day trailer

so last year peter berg made that bp oil movie, we'r- oh that was this year? that was this month? someone want to tell this guy to maybe chill out, make another battleship movie or something. wait so he already filmed this, like it's done? does he know there's another boston marathon movie called stronger coming out in 2017? this is armageddon and deep impact all over again. fine, whatever, cut a trailer. i guess open on mark wahlberg in domestic comfort "relating" to his wife. yeah, shots of american flags, white homes at sunrise. make it look like a tide commercial. cue up pensive piano. no, i don't want a phantogram cover of "born in the usa". just use america the beautiful. is that too on the nose? who gives a shit. whoa, is that john goodman? that can't be him. ok make pensive piano into emotional piano. oh wow it's that dude from oz. is he playing a nazi in this? can we just, at the end, have a stinger of dzhokhar tsarnaev lighting up a red lightsabre? he's not in the fucking movie? WHAT? ok you know what just play "sabotage" over the whole thing. we can't do that? peter berg still wants to make a 9/11 movie and it will be his force awakens? whatever man.