Mila Kunis is weird, man. I don't know what kind of human being she is at all, but in the sense of her being in the public eye and an actress/celebrity for the rest of us apes to gawk at, I have to say I find her strangely dislikeable. the combination of her dopey acting and her bored, half-lidded, slack-jawed expressions makes me think of a desensitised Russian crackwhore.

Mila Kunis is weird, man. I don't know what kind of human being she is at all, but in the sense of her being in the public eye and an actress/celebrity for the rest of us apes to gawk at, I have to say I find her strangely dislikeable. the combination of her dopey acting and her bored, half-lidded, slack-jawed expressions makes me think of a desensitised Russian crackwhore.

totally, i felt nothing for her character as i said. and i mean, she has a nice body, but i dunno :shrug:

Godzilla 2014. kinda good, but kinda stupid... but kinda good. but kinda stupid.

epic monster/disaster movies cannot be PG-13, for starters.

Guest trananhhung

Locke 6/10 Cool idea, mediocre execution. Hated the fast editing and the constant random juxtaposition of traffic lights. And the daddy issues made me roll my eyes constantly. Hardy is good.

Inherent Vice 7/10 Lovely cinematography. Shot on film with LA sun burning the film reels for beautiful results. Read the book before and think Anderson transposed it perfectly, Yes, you'll get lost in the subplots and will find everything slightly absurd. But that's what the PI is experiencing. And any film which has Vitamin C playing during the title sequence gets my approval. I still don't think the Anderson I love is back. He slipped with the Master IMO and I think he's fighting to get his way back. He's kind of getting away from the Altman school and finding his own voice, slowly.

monsters-2010-poster-e1283548539539.jpg

the first film by the guy who directed Godzilla 2014, and probably the reason he scored such a major project. this was surprisingly good for what I thought was going to be a standard monster flick. had unexpected depth. and Gareth Edwards did writing, directing, cinematography and vfx on it all himself, with a budget less than half a mil and a crew of 5 people. I'm impressed. it had some oddness/roughness to it in some parts wrt the acting/lines, but nothing I couldn't forgive for a debut feature film.

Scoot "No I Didn't Misspell Scott" McNairy's big misshapen nose/10

Edited by usagi

Starry_Eyes_2014_film_poster.jpg

This was impressive, but the horror aspect is kinda overshadowed by the brilliantly scathing dissection of the loathsome hipster schtick. An actress who would do anything to get to the big time goes for a couple of auditions with some otherwordly producers who send her mind wandering into the sky about the possibilty of getting the lead in their upcoming horror film 'The Silver Scream' and break free of the hipsters who she feels are holding her back. The reality is she serves burgers and fries at a resturant and hangs out with some real ironic self absorbed doucebags who, in true hipster fashion believe that they're part of the film world too. We're introduced to them at a party where one of them is talking Poe lyrics over an electropop beat. They spend their days sitting around around taking photos with retro camera's and talking about non-existent scripts they have in the pipeline, it starts to grind down the aspiring actress, after a couple of successful auditions inspired by positive feedback from the casting agent she quits her waitress job only to come crawling back, where the tolerant boss (Pat Healy) tells her ''Look, i know we're not self aware and ironic enough for you, but this is my thing, do you want to be part of that?''. Depressed to be back where she started, she talks to the loser from the party who said he had a script, she meets him at his defunct RV which he lives in (it has a little library inside and a couch outside on a path) and they agree over ecstacy that she'll star in his film, knowing that he's a boring cliche with thick rimmed glasses a showreel like a pile of used toilet roll. Having previously being warned by the producer of 'The Silver Scream' that hipsters are talentless nobodies who sit around talking about doing things and try to make people believe they are part of something they're not and will never amount to anything apart from their shit part time jobs, she finds herself at a crossroads, does she make a sacrifice? Or does she stay hip?

this was alright. I dunno, I may appreciate it more with another viewing, I'm pretty tired and my brain isn't really functioning right now. I didn't like it when

it went all Contracted and her body started falling apart. meh. but it fit into a bigger plot device, so ok.

cool soundtrack. lead actress is cute and talented, hope to see more of her. the violence was super-effective because the build up to it was so slow and deliberate and I didn't really think it was going to go that way.

all-in-all, a p deece horror flick. I don't agree about the commentary on hipsters overshadowing the horror, your writeup makes it sound like an episode of Nathan Barley or something.

^ loved the soundtrack and editing. the movie was pretty good too but

i found it really annoying how her friends just seemed to not notice or care that she was basically rotting in front of them

^ loved the soundtrack and editing. the movie was pretty good too but

i found it really annoying how her friends just seemed to not notice or care that she was basically rotting in front of them

lol yeah. she's a leper and has blood and gunk all over her, and her friends are like "hey, where were you last night?" I tried to attribute it to the different lighting in-camera vs in person.

Tusk - Not a bad balance of comedy and horror but then Johnny Depp turns up and does Johnny Depp and the film grinds to a halt, but then this is a film where a man becomes a walrus so you can't be that fussy. 3/5.

Guest kymppinetti

Watched the classic 'Blade runner' last night. It was a huge let down, nothing really new in it.

*Watches 30 year old film, wonders why there isn't anything new in it*

:cerious: Feels stupid. Well, it was so praised and all. I had good faith for the movie, but halfway of it, you really knew what was going to happen. The plot was boring, there was nothing new. Well I guess it can't be helped, cos it's an oldie.

Watched the classic 'Blade runner' last night. It was a huge let down, nothing really new in it.

*Watches 30 year old film, wonders why there isn't anything new in it*

:cerious: Feels stupid. Well, it was so praised and all. I had good faith for the movie, but halfway of it, you really knew what was going to happen. The plot was boring, there was nothing new. Well I guess it can't be helped, cos it's an oldie.

I felt the same way when I first watched it back in...1999 or thereabout. But for some reason I kept going back to it. It took me 10 years or so but now it's a classic in my book.

I can see why the movie wasn't a success when it came out because it's really quite slow paced, but the universe is fully fleshed and believable.

Watched Birdman, fine film and all but the next day I realized it's a watered down, version of synecdoche, New York.

An interesting comparison. I thought Birdman was so-so but Synecdoche, New York was outstanding! It's one of my favourite films and rarely gets the recognition it deserves.