Avengers 2 - 6/10 really bad, Paul Bettany saved it but barely.

Edit: the shot of Vision opening his eyes was cut, the six eyed version of Ultron on every magazine cover was no where to be seen. Hawkeye seemed to magically change clothes during intense battles. Whedon made several dick and anal sex jokes at Renner's expense. (We get it, he's bisexual) They don't paint the name of the manufacturer in big letters on every artillery shell. No one wondered what happened to Coulson, or mentioned there are 2 SHIELDs fighting each other. This was basically just a sequel to Iron Man 3, one of the worst MCU movies so far. They couldn't afford to hire any of the female leads from the other films. Cap and Stark are best buds at the end, but are trying to kill each other in the next movie? Oooh the irony...Whedon. There was no plot, just 3 action scenes strung together with tape.

lol paul b didn't save anything. i guess the anal sex jokes went over my head or i was asleep. just more run of the mill big budget cgi super hero garbage. zzzzzzzz/1

Yeah good riddance to Joss, the Russos might turn it around. And the pointless character death, Whedon's specialty. The CGI was extremely bad too. I really want a Vision/Scarlett Witch movie now but her accent was laughable.

It was either Cap or Stark "I'm bringing you the package"

Hawkeye "how do you want me to take it?"

The theater busted out laughing, more than once.

Birdman - 6/10. The 60% that I liked was really good but the other 40% was pretty cringy indulgent garbage. Norton and Stone had good on-screen chemistry, Keaton was good in the more straight scenes. I thought all the flying and Birdman talking to him stuff was horribly ham-fisted. Very technically well done with the long takes and I really enjoyed the soundtrack and various sound design stuff (how the drums followed him around) despite my preconceptions from reading about it.

The CGI was extremely bad too.

this 100%. I was actually confused as to why the CGI looked worse than Captain America winter soldier, looked worse than Iron Man 3 (look at the photorealistic crane cgi stuff WETA did for the final act) . I don't know who was in charge of the cgi this time around but man that was kind of a disaster. There were very very few moments in the entire movie that looked photorealistic and not overtly fake to me which is odd considering that in the Avengers 1 there were plenty of moments like that. Iron man looked cartoony as fuck for the entire movie, so much blur and particle animation to cover up for sloppy keyframe animation. truly shocking. The only other movie i can compare to the bloated and poor CGI look to is Man of Steel. This makes the Hobbit trilogy usually look like a work of fucking art in comparison. Really strange. I've seen far lower budget movies with be. Vision looked great because he was all practical. Ultron looked disappointing, and aesthetically was only saved by James Spader playing the part. Why did they change Ultron so much from the original teaser trailer image where it looked exactly like the classic Marvel comic look? He just looked like a dumb typical cgi robot from any other modern tentpole movie, they opted for him and his minions to have a Battleship look instead.

every part of the movie that wasn't an 'over the top' visual spectacle was better than the parts that were. Its amazing to compare the CGI battles in Spiderman 2 with something like Avengers 2 because inexplicably the shit in Spiderman 2 still stands up today, looks more artful and looks in some ways more 'realistic' even though its in a cartoony context. blows my mind

Edited by John Ehrlichman

A Most Violent Year - really well directed, cinematography was excellent, acting was top notch, music was good, but all of that was too much in a way, it was strangely too well made for the story, which was a fairly low key crime drama. Probably would've enjoyed it more if either the style had been toned down a notch, or if there was a more exciting story behind it. Still pretty good though.

A Most Violent Year - really well directed, cinematography was excellent, acting was top notch, music was good, but all of that was too much in a way, it was strangely too well made for the story, which was a fairly low key crime drama. Probably would've enjoyed it more if either the style had been toned down a notch, or if there was a more exciting story behind it. Still pretty good though.

spot on mate

contemporary action/super-hero flicks are excruciatingly generic

100 years from now academics will be stumped as to their relevance too

btw that kind of cynical thinking means its def vape time

spot on mate

Yeah this movie made me want to like it but the plot was all clichés and no substance. Then again maybe I shouldn't have eaten all those mushrooms before seeing it.

spot on mate

Yeah this movie made me want to like it but the plot was all clichés and no substance. Then again maybe I shouldn't have eaten all those mushrooms before seeing it.

glad i skipped this. sounds exactly like what i thought it'd be based on the trailer

Birdman - 6/10. The 60% that I liked was really good but the other 40% was pretty cringy indulgent garbage. Norton and Stone had good on-screen chemistry, Keaton was good in the more straight scenes. I thought all the flying and Birdman talking to him stuff was horribly ham-fisted. Very technically well done with the long takes and I really enjoyed the soundtrack and various sound design stuff (how the drums followed him around) despite my preconceptions from reading about it.

Saw this too last weekend, +1 at your review.

Lucy
Extremely entertaining/10
Maybe it's just because i wasn't expecting much - I had this feeling going into it that it was really poorly revived? Kept expecting it to suddenly take a nose dive and go in a different direction, but keeps the throttle on throughout

Noah
Again, really wasn't expecting much at all, but having heard from a few friends that it's more of a sci-fi than anything perked my interest - goes on far too long, but pretty entertaining overall, nice to see it grounded somewhat in the original bible story.

drunken and naked noah/10

Lucy

Extremely entertaining/10

Maybe it's just because i wasn't expecting much - I had this feeling going into it that it was really poorly revived? Kept expecting it to suddenly take a nose dive and go in a different direction, but keeps the throttle on throughout

Noah

Again, really wasn't expecting much at all, but having heard from a few friends that it's more of a sci-fi than anything perked my interest - goes on far too long, but pretty entertaining overall, nice to see it grounded somewhat in the original bible story.

drunken and naked noah/10

agreed on both.

loved how the creation myth was done in noah. one of the most awesome/beautiful things i've seen at the theatre in ages. only seen it once fully but i know the next time i watch it i'll just be waiting for him to close that cup

it follows

i really liked this, and not just because of the soundtrack or cinematography either. 8/10

gPfQaZj.jpg

sappy movie about this kid that is forced to make makes friends with a girl dying of cancer. he also makes silly versions of arthouse films. it's a cute movie, but it felt like an episode of a show on tv dragged for an hour and a half

just saw Winter Soldier again. So far this is the high water mark of any Marvel movie, i'd be very surprised if Marvel reached it again sadly. Even the score in Winter Soldier has a memorable quality to it, I cant remember a single motif or melody from the Avengers 2 score, zero.

The Russos are doing all of Infinty War , so im hoping for an increase in quality and story. They're much more likely to obey Kevin Feige than Whedon, they want to make a cohesive series, not egotistic nonsense.