Watched What's Eating Gilbert Grape t'other day. Good film. Nice to see Johnny Depp play a low key role, haven't watched him do that in a while. He can be pretty good when he wants to.

I saw this before Di Caprio hit it big and it blew my mind that he didn't have learning difficulties, he's a gifted bloke.

Nightcrawler was good, I'm not sure why you're bashing it. the score was only really noticeably awful right as the end credits rolled, and even then it was a clear reference to shitty hourly news theme music.

Guest bitroast

Watched What's Eating Gilbert Grape t'other day. Good film. Nice to see Johnny Depp play a low key role, haven't watched him do that in a while. He can be pretty good when he wants to.

I saw this before Di Caprio hit it big and it blew my mind that he didn't have learning difficulties, he's a gifted bloke.

oh yeah. di caprio did real good with that role. they both did. good film.

johnny depp has just entered that hollywood trap and i don't see him coming out any time soon.

make low key good performance in film = probably little attention.

play big dumb johnny depp role in dumb big expensive film = get lots of money.

unless he genuinely thinks he's a genius or something for portraying so many rich and diverse different colorful characters that will be understood only after a good number of years have passed and everyones like "you know what.. johnny depp really WAS a creative genius." but i doubt it. he's probably content being a hack and rich >:|

Nightcrawler was good, I'm not sure why you're bashing it. the score was only really noticeably awful right as the end credits rolled, and even then it was a clear reference to shitty hourly news theme music.

no he's right. i liked nightcrawler but the score is a joke. really took away from the film which is unfortunate. jake plays a really good crazy

oh and finally watched attack the block last nite. it was okay. not up to the hype it got when it came out.

couldn'tunderstandhalfthedialog/10

Citizenfour - Best thriller I've seen in a long time... and it's all real, holy shit. Everyone should watch this documentary, 10/10.

thought the movie was weird as shit, but also good. It gave me a very different view of Greenwald and Snowden afterwards not one that I can articulate without sounding extremely paranoid. I wish they would have kept some stuff in the movie of Laura and Greenwald grilling snowden on how he could prove this wasn't some kind of elaborate hoax or honeytrap (he claims they talked at length to make sure it wasn't). If i was in that situation it would be very hard to convince me I wasn't being set up by someone claiming to be an NSA defector.

it was technically well done, really minimalistic, loved that aspect, but i found it very revealing in all the wrong ways (even Greenwald's excitement about whats about to happen in his career over the snowden leaks disgusted me a bit. I like greenwald and respect him but my gut reaction was that the dude had dollar signs in his eyes during many parts of the doc)

Edited by John Ehrlichman

Cartel Land - sweaty palms/10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkYBbBK0qoM

i saw it the day el chapo escaped from prison( http://www.borderlandbeat.com/2015/07/additional-information-chapo-guzman-1st.html), seemed appropriate.

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2014/05/05/the-hunt-for-el-chapo

^good read about el chapo guzman, written while he was still in custody.

A miner, (prob cornish, acid.) weighs in his view on the tunnel on the guardian comments section:

bobbymac1956 13h ago 

Wow apart from anything else and as a coal miner with 40 years down the pit 36 of those heading out roadways this was some feat .
I wonder if the motorbike also doubled up as a compressor to power pneumatic picks (windy picks as we know them ) if so then they are very noisy and a mile long compassed airline would have to be steel pipe probably with a reservoir to maintain pressure , but in a tunnel that narrow theres not much room to swing a shaft ( a shaft is what miners call a pick) the actual surveying underground is very simple these men probably used a cheap laser , before lasers you would hang a flame lamp with a short flame and then line up from a fixed point down plumb lined string ( we used to re use detonator wire as it was fluorescent and we could drive tunnels many miles long and end up plumb on centre just by eye , this seems to baffle the authorities here but using a theodolite ( those things you see surveyors peering into set on tripods ) and a half decent surveyor working from a known point in the jail easy peasy really and done every day in mines everywhere . It is hard to tell but there are parts of the tunnel that look like they have been shotcreted ( fine concrete is sprayed under pressure again using air ) this to some extent binds the surface together and though it does not really do much to support the roof it aids ventilation , however as they where not really that deep (30 or forty feet where mentioned) weight would not be too much of a a problem so no need for steel or wood supports and of course providing they kept the tunnel narrow . They must have had some form of specially built rail way set to that narrow gauge , a tub on wheels ( a bathtub would do the job ) to hand fill into you would only really have room for one man with the pick and a man probably on his knees shovelling into the tub perhaps a couple of teams to keep going round the clock . Ventilation would not really be much of a problem given modern materials , a suction fan mounted in the house connected to say eight inch reenforced rubber hose , of the type you see used to clear drains and this works better than a blower fan for two reasons nature abhors a vacuum and it would help in clearing dust , imagine the end of a large vacuum cleaner with the nozzle fixed to the shoulder of the tunnel up by the miners head and keeps the rest of the roadway clear with a powerful enough exhaust fan conditions would not be too bad the flow of air cools you down .
So from his arrest last february till last week they did not do too bad over a mile and the plan must have been put in place as soon as he was imprisoned and to do it without raising suspicions , well maybe fear and i guess they earned a decent bonus . At the house used it would have been noisy but not more than a diesel engine running . How many men round the clock and taking turns at the face ? at least a dozen grafters on each three shifts still hard work but doable with the right gear .

totally OT here but wtf that's some mad shit

Edited by fenton

jurassic world - it's not even cinema, it's just some corporate family entrainment, pg-13, construction designed to increase entertainment level on a statistical basis and thus generate optimal profits. ironically, its main dino-villain is actually a good allegory for the film itself. 0/10.

Eugene's Movies Reviews 9/10

Edited by Gocab

Creep (2014) - 5/10 Does a decent job of building dread for the firs ~25 minutes of its 78 minute runtime, but predictable as hell and and a bit cartoonish toward the end.

Jurassic World

I love how this film tries to establish credibility by shoehorning in convenient tidbits about DNA splicing and whatnot, yet fail to portray the possibility of feathers on a single dinosaur, or even try to tackle the fact that modern oxygen levels prohibit creatures of that size. This and other science blunders made me really disappointed and I could not enjoy the movie. Haha, just kidding. But yeah, it's pretty fucking bad.