Timecrimes - Pretty cool time-travel thriller thing, I was hoping it would be scary and the main bloke is dumb but it was fun. A good alternative to the new Avengers, which I only got 20 minutes into before remembering how boring superhero films can be.

I do wonder if many artists (and people generally) have to find a way to convince themselves that what they're doing is in some way meaningful in order to be able to do it - even if they get there through self deception

as long as something is meaning full to you, you have achieved your goal. you're an artist, do you do that?

I do wonder if many artists (and people generally) have to find a way to convince themselves that what they're doing is in some way meaningful in order to be able to do it - even if they get there through self deception

as long as something is meaning full to you, you have achieved your goal. you're an artist, do you do that?

You've not achieved anything if you're lying to yourself, and I'm skeptical about meaning in what I do or really what anyone else does. I think making art is selfish but that's not a bad thing - I don't think people should pretend they're making art for logical, rational or moral reasons.

The Blair Witch Project. Not as creepy as it was the first time round when I watched it on release at the cinema (and was staying at an isolated house for the weekend about 2 hours north of Sydney in the bush afterwards, and it real put the chills into me). Seemed a bit silly now and a bit of a joke, but I can't deny the power it had over me the first time. I know if I went walking out at dusk through the woods this weekend that film would stir something in me. That weird looking gargoyle woman they interview who talks about seeing the hairy witch is a bit spooky imo.

Yah, I also saw it in the cinema when everyone still thought that shit was actual found footage. On the drive back to dorms, we were all freaking out and shit. It was hilarious. To me, the film is a masterpiece. Just because billions of "found footage" films have been released since, it doesn't take away the magic of "the original". Plus, I haven't watched the other garbage, so I'm safe (though Cloverfield was aiiight).

You've not achieved anything if you're lying to yourself, and I'm skeptical about meaning in what I do or really what anyone else does. I think making art is selfish but that's not a bad thing - I don't think people should pretend they're making art for logical, rational or moral reasons.

if you don't know what your work means, then i guess no one ever will. it's not selfish if other people enjoy it.

if you don't know what your work means, then i guess no one ever will. it's not selfish if other people enjoy it.

Who says it means anything, and who says that anyone else should figure out what it 'means'? And who says that any art really means anything ultimately - it may be very interesting or inspiring or whatever but for me, meaning is a slightly but significantly different domain.

I think good art is generally selfishly motivated in the sense that you aren't making it for anyone else and you don't worry about what people will like. You do it for your self, and I prefer that - I don't want an artist to be nice to me, or impose their sense of meaning onto me

lart

You guys are so lucky that I unselfishly foist my personal sense of lart on you.

Also I want ribena now, and also corn flakes cause of this leyendecker ad I was looking at. In a suggestible mood this morning.

i don't drink cordial, too much sugar. But when i have been naughty and bought some and wanted something with blackcurrent, i get something made locally, or at least in new zealand. I'm patriotic like that, well also if you don't keep your money flowing around your own economy 101. So there would be canadian alternatives that aren't also owned by multinational conglomerates one would imagine. (hopes he's not triggering stephen with his anti-global freetrade talk).

I'm not actually sure if Ribena is available here, I imagine it is (but I've never seen it). Definitely not a popular drink if it's available.

I can't honestly say I've ever had something with blackcurrant? Sounds like it's a UK thing?

I'm going to see if it's available here soon. Ribena + vodka?

Never heard of cassis!

Alright, mission of the week is to find some blackcurrant cordial and possibly (might be hard to find) cassis.

I've got it on the missus' radar too (she's great at tracking stuff like this down).

:beer:

Haha! referential

codeine makes everything great tbf.

basically,just no stevieG.. blackcurrant cordial + vodka prob ain't worth trying.

Edited by taubs

Cube 2: Hypercube

Finally got around to watching this. Pretty much as enjoyable as Cube actually.. but with vaporwave shiz. Strange to see very brightly lit corpses in a movie.