IGNORED

Ableton Live 9

Guest arbee

Guest ryanmcallister
I quickly tried the beta some weeks ago, had a crash within few minutes, so went back to 8.3.4. (OS X 10.6.8)

Ryan, how stable is most recent beta ?

Seems fairly reliable to me. For a while it seemed like the new browser was really sluggish and weighing everything down but it seems like they've addressed that. I haven't really pushed it too hard if I'm being honest, I'm not much of a beta tester. I'm still doing my serious work in 8 and waiting for it to come around to make the switch official.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest ryanmcallister

Also for what it's worth I may have my hands on a push in the coming weeks here, I will definitely give my full review if that pans out.

all i want from ableton is the ability to create a generic midi controller and set inverse or normal ranges on the parameter mappings, which cubase (as of version 5) does not do. if the new version does someone please let me know. kind of a tough question to ask on the forums cause it is so in depth and advanced for most users who dont really match my superior level.

Guest The Bro

The Ableton Push controller looks sexy as fuck! The more I look at it, the more I want it lol. £399 is the uk street price which is less than Maschine MKII and it appears to do more although if you take Live 9's price too into account it looks far more pricey. Thoughts?

Played with beta for about 3 hours without issues. Tested all my VSTs and opened some older projects too. Played with the midi to melody feature... works very well! I can’t wait to give Ableton my money.

Edit- Also the new browser is worth a mention... easily 14x better than the old.

• 2 months later...

Downloaded my upgrade to v9 suite last night. Was a nice surprise to learn that the upgrade includes all the stuff included in the boxed edition of the suite (as in all the bajillion Gb of samples/loops/instrument packs) (my copy of v8 had none of that stuff).

Plus am I right that Max 6.1 is included - What the hell ?! *does a giddy dance of excitement at the prospect of finally learning something I'd been planning to learn for years*

Mmm I'm a little confused about the whole Max thing - ryanmcallister would you be able to advise ?

There was a separate download which presumably is the Max4Live component, however when installed it put a Max 6.1 link on my desktop. Launching that it asks to be authorised, so it connects to the net and then asks for a serial number - however I have no idea what the serial number is, there was one number listed for Max-for-Live in my licenses page but that doesn't seem to work. Adding a max for live component into Ablton seems to work fine thought so I'm wondering if the Max 6.1 link is a bit of a misnomer.

EDIT: Ah OK this explains it -

Running Max standalone

Please note that you cannot authorize the stand-alone version of Max 6.1 with your Max for Live serial. You will receive an error message if you do so as these are two different products.

Live and Max communicate internally and you will never need to launch the Max application manually when using Max for Live.

If you are interested in running Max/MSP in standalone mode outside of Ableton, you can find cross-grade offers for this on the Cycling74 webpage.

I really like it and I'm gonna upgrade to v9 cause there's still nothing out there that can touch it for my needs (although I not interested in Push).

Bitwig could be an interesting second best option but not before v2.0 when they're gonna introduce possibility to edit Bitwig's own synths (and effects?) via patch editor...buuuut I don't know...only MaxForBitwig could make me consider buying it.

yeah, works really well. I did a test where I recorded a midi channel to audio then converted the audio to midi. Was 100% with just about every test when chords weren't involved. With chrords it was hit and miss. It also did quite well with vinyl sources too. Was also pretty impressed how it tries to emulate the sound as well.

well, that's the dumbest shit I read all day week.

@sonny.

• 2 weeks later...

'Scuse the newbie question but, well I'm a newbie! I'm a little confused about moving clips from the session view to the arrangement view. In buzz I make a pattern (I guess, synonymous to a 'clip') and then put that pattern into the sequence editor (i.e. arrangement view). So far so good, but later on when the song is coming together I might decide to tweak one of the patterns/clips (adjust a note etc.). In buzz I'll just update the one pattern and it'll update all the instances of that pattern laid down in the sequence, but it seems that clips in the session view are 'unlinked' to those placed in the arrangement view (i.e. changing a note in that session clip wont then update any of the instances of that clip in the arrangement and vice versa).

Is this just the way the workflow is in Ableton and I shouldn't really use arrangement view until I'm certain I won't be updating any clips, or is there any way of making the clips in session view link up with those clips in arrangement view ?

Upgraded to 9 suite last night. Anyone else have problems with VSTs not showing in the file manager? It scanned my whole VST folder, but only shows one VST under Plugins...

AFAIK there's no way to update all instances of a clip between arrangement/session view automatically like you're used to. I work almost exclusively in arrangement view though. Usually just make some loops in session, record to arrangement and then go from there.

Uhm... It's not that you have a bunch of 32 bit vsts in the folder that aren't supported by ableton live 9? Because that's been a thing since live went 64 bit, there's no way to run them without a 3rd party workaround. Pretty lame, but no biggie for me.

Archived