IGNORED

Drukqs' 11th Birthday today.

ferro4prez

Analord records were pressed in quantities of less than 1000 AFAIK

i wish there was an official number to this. someone here claimed there were 50000 copies sold in general. i think analord 6 was pressed in much more copies than the rest as it's always up for cheap.

"In 2005, under his AFX moniker, Richard D James released an immediately sought after collection of music through his imprint Rephlex that he shares with friend and business partner Grant Wilson-Claridge. Entitled the Analord series, these 41 tracks spread across 11 special pieces of vinyl were accompanied by an extremely limited embossed presentation binder and only sold to true fans through the Rephlex website. Despite being vinyl only, each of the 12 releases sold well into five figures, some selling as much as 25,000 units."

http://www.clashmusi...ture/aphex-twin

It was me that claimed there was 50,000 copies of each, I read it in an interview somewhere but I guess I was wrong.

Let me clarify: the Analord 10 release was 1000 or less; I am sure they did represses of 2-11 considering the demand, if that article's information is accurate.

Probably is though, and hence why Richard hasn't released anything substantial since - no need for more record royalties with those sales figures.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wish I could find the article and interview I read before that said 50,000 of each!

Even 25,000 is fairly substantial. Crap even 10,000 of each would have given him quite a bit of money.. royalties galore

Happy 11th birthday Drukqs!

Guest HokusPoker

I have to say, Drukqs has some of the best tracks that of the last decade, but as an album it's shit. There's no way I'm never ever sitting all the way through it; the tracks are all scattered over with not much sense or reason. What's gwarek2 doing there? You don't fit the mood dammit get outta there

To me, it's like a bumpy street with beautiful landscape here and there, I just don't want to go through the whole procedure and I end up picking the (not too few) tracks that I like.

His other albums are just more solid in my opinion. I just cannot get that image of good tracks scattered around in a vast area out of my head, and what I see inside my head just influences my view on music a lot.

Still, I wouldn't want to miss this album, it's worth whatever it costs.

Colossal album. There's an interview where he mentions the flow of the tracks, about how he wants people to write their own playlists. I wrote one the other day.

Meltphace 6

Mt Saint Michel + St Michaels Mount

Bbydhyonchord

Orban Eq Trx 4

Omgyjya-Switch7

Vordhosbn

Afx237 v7

Taking Control

54 Cymru Beats

Cock/Ver10

Ziggomatic 17

I guess Drukqs is just what you make of it. To me it's chaos, two channels of creative genius laid against each other across two discs. As different as the piano pieces sound, they are some of the best works of their kind...

this is the only track off Steinvord I'm absolutely sure is Aphex

----> 'untitled' NOT 'untitled 9' off youtube

it's on the myspace page only and it sounds like the only Outtake from fast beat sessions of Drukqs we'll probably ever hear

http://www.myspace.com/steinvord

(ripping now to post for later)

I've never heard this one before

Mother of God, not a chance in hell this is anyone but RDJ

It's like a Nannou + St Michael airy synth sample mix

this is the only track off Steinvord I'm absolutely sure is Aphex

----> 'untitled' NOT 'untitled 9' off youtube

sounds similar to Vordhosbn.. except the steinvord stuff doesn't have the same sort of song structure i hear in rich's stuff. just sort of sounds cool but doesn''t take you anywhere..but it probably is aphex. yeah

I agree that the series of Analord is by AFX

Analord 10 went out under the name of Aphex Twin, because this nickname is more known by media than AFX

He is cunning/malignant, 2 make his advertising/publicity & make buzz this series, he preferred 2 take at first this name of Aphex Twin 4 a chosen EP (Analord 10), as wrote Joyrex, 2 make out a test... & as the buzz worked... He thus continued under his usual pen name for Rephlex Records...

The releases owed make thus under names AFX (at Rephlex Records) & Aphex Twin (at Warp Records)

2 warp, he was once featuring with Squarepusher, and one in split 2 share the production costs, possibly of autoproduction and/or distribution (with LFO or Warp)

At Rephlex Records, he published, set apart the logo (which found on AB3, AB4 & Chosen Lords), only an EP under the name of aphex twin...

U R not fans 2 understand it!

It's business, dear people, it's business! It's maybe the best thing 2 do 2 sell!

potential Drukqs outtake, or an extremely good clone-job

Steinvord-Untitled.mp3

what do you guys think?

It really has Bogdan Raczynski style pads on the start (1:36 f.e.), and then some kicks and samples that remind me of Xanopticon or Venetian Snares. Not really convinced, every fast afx track has such an organic flow from one part to another, this is really missing something. Only the drone-ending was a bit Drukqs sounding.

11 years, sigh. Seems like another long lost age. I'm afraid Steinvord isn't capable of filling the void, despite all his fanboy cocksucking artifice AFX-lite technically astute, vapid soulless garbage.

potential Drukqs outtake, or an extremely good clone-job

Steinvord-Untitled.mp3

what do you guys think?

It really has Bogdan Raczynski style pads on the start (1:36 f.e.), and then some kicks and samples that remind me of Xanopticon or Venetian Snares. Not really convinced, every fast afx track has such an organic flow from one part to another, this is really missing something. Only the drone-ending was a bit Drukqs sounding.

What releases sound like that by Bogdan? I haven't listened to him much. It's creepy as hell imo I want more (starting at 1:36)

when i first copped Drukqs i didn't get it.

It took repeated listens for all of it to really sink in.

There is just so much data it's hard for my brain to comprehend it all in one sitting.

to me as a hack bedroom "producer" the fast choons on Drukqs still mystify me on many levels.

the clarity and loudness of the final mix,the intricacy and layers,the fact that it was most likely done in reason V2 or 3 on a laptop.

the overall control exhibited over the sonic mayhem is mindblowing.

I still have a hard time comprehending it all after a decade.

I really wonder what musical benchmark/"contemporary"base he can and will use for his next release if there ever is one.

In keeping with some semblance of a nod to "contemporary" electronic music by using drum and bass as a template reaped astral results but to look at ufabulum it seems dubstep as a trope really sucks.

What will aphex do in regards to this equation of "now" always crosses my mind when listening to Drukqs.

I think since he is the mack he can do whatever the fuck he wants and it will shred.

i lump these remixes in with the Drukqs lot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JCOxqWFvTA

Steinvord is great & this track sounds like Aphex (the EP being more Squarepusher's influenced) but thinks it is another artist. & obviously someone who loves AFX & >[] .... For some reasons, i cannot imagine aphex (as proud as he is) putting (brillant) outtakes on myspace, that doesnt really fit with the man.

lol that myspace steinvord track is fucking amazing. . . the "untitled" one. . . have a hard time believing that anyone but Richard could accomplish this. There is something (to tie this back to the topic) about Drukqs tracks (fast ones) that is uniquely Aphex which is a) the speed/information being shot into your brain and b) the melodic/cohesive nature of the tracks. It's not just that they are fast as fuck, but the discrete bits of information are all unique, but also coherent. And warm. And beautiful.

Plus there are just small little sound things w/that untitled track that seem like, unless someone has access to a huge variety of similar sound samples/synths/techniques . . . well, it would be really hard to get all those "aphex" sounds in there without spending a lot of time doing nothing but tracking those down.

re: Analord. Dunno. Seems patently obvious to me that certain songs are definitely "Aphex Twin" songs, and certain songs are not. XMDA and Fenix FEEL like Aphex Twin songs, and probably were labeled appropriately as such. *shrugs* I mean, it could all just be marketing ploy, but I somehow feel like at this stage there is likely no other reasons for Rich to label shit Aphex unless he feels like it's really "Aphex" doing the talking. Fuck, everyone knew it was richard when analord came out, it says fucking AFX on everything else. So seems silly to think its anything other than personal preference.

HYPERBOLE THAT SMACKS OF TRUTH INCOMING:

Drukqs takes a fucking massive shit over everything that has been released since then (in the field of electronica). BOOM!

Drukqs takes a fucking massive shit over everything that has been released since then (in the field of electronica). BOOM!

*takes a look at his autechre vinyl collection*

:cerious:

the overall control exhibited over the sonic mayhem is mindblowing.

I think this is a really good way to sum up the technical aspect of drukqs. how he is able to do 6-8 minute tracks that are constantly evolving & organic, that are entirely controlled and organized, with no repetition and everything sounding like it was intended... it's baffling. the most I have been able to figure out about that style is that he seems to use gating on everything and has the gate's patterns interlock when it gets hectic (for max loudness/clearness.) still though, that's just one tiny bit of it, and there is so much more going on, and so many subtle little touches...

plus, I mean, not only is Drukqs electronic music at it's best technically, the album is just pure art too. A truly great composer & artist at the top of his form... it's just a shame electronic music isn't taken more seriously, so he can get proper recognition for it.

*takes a look at his autechre vinyl collection*

:cerious:

no shit detected on surfaces of Ae releases

might want check your copy of drukqs for watmmer bukkake, though

Archived