IGNORED

Arve Henriksen - Solidification (7LP)

Tauhid

"Sakuteiki, Chiaroscuro and Strjon, all with bonus tracks

as well as a brand new album, Chron. Release date 30. November."

Sounds good to me; bonus tracks and a new album. Interesting that Chron isn't being released on ECM.

I'm actually happier that it's being released on Rune, much prefer his output on that label to Cartography, Strjon being my favourite. I saw him in 2009 twice in the space of 2 weeks at the Cheltenham jazz fest and then at Hay Book festival. Two of the best gigs I've seen. And Supersilent with John Paul Jones at sónar.

I just found it kinda surprising, as I had emailed Rune last year or in 2010, and he said Arve was recording only for ECM at that point. That being said, who knows what future ECM albums would've sounded like. I really like Cartography, aside from the spoken word parts.

More details:

"The beautiful 24 page booklet includes extensive liner notes from Fiona Talkington and John Kelman.

The package includes 2 DVDs with all tracks as 16/44 files, hi-res FLAC files and original master quality 24/44 or 24/96 WAV files."

• 2 weeks later...

"In these days of streaming and bad audio we are very proud to present one the finest physical objects we have ever released. You can pre-order it here for shipping next week. More info below.

Please note that due to the weight of this item we can only accept separate orders, if you want other items as well please make a separate order for these. We are very aware of the high international shipping prices from Norway, so we have tried to keep the price for the box as low as possible. Please note that in case you prefer to order from a local distributor or retailer the international release is in early February. Please also note that we are shipping this item in a very solid box.

No corners have been cut to make this a most desirable piece of art regarding design and sound. You get the music on classic black vinyl on six of the records while Chron is pressed on white vinyl. If that isn´t enough the package includes two DVDs with all 56 tracks as 16/44 files, hi-res FLAC files and original master quality 24/44 or 24/96 files.

Kim Hiorthøy´s design is as always consistent to the last detail..."

Did the math; $200 including shipping to the US :wtf: . Maybe I'll ask for it for Christmas.

• 3 months later...
Guest Lucy Faringold

Nah, couldn't justify it just to hear the new album. Is it any good? (Chron) Have you heard if it's going to get a separate release?

Yeah it worked out for me since Cartography was the only album of his that I had picked up previously. Seems like for now Chron won't be released separately, but who knows what the future holds. I've only listened once so far (got it yesterday), but it's by far his most experimental album, and features the least horn playing out of all of them (only on 4 tracks). Plume Of Ash might as well be an unreleased Jon Hassell piece. I'd say it had less of an impression on me than the others, based on first listen, though there were tracks I did like a lot. At least it doesn't have any songs with spoken word...

Guest Lucy Faringold

Plume Of Ash might as well be an unreleased Jon Hassell piece. I'd say it had less of an impression on me than the others, based on first listen, though there were tracks I did like a lot. At least it doesn't have any songs with spoken word...

Yeah, I hear you. I hate it when David Sylvian shows up to ruin the mood of my favourite albums. Usually I'm not into stuff that bites Hassell's style too much but Henriksen's material is good enough to make an exception.

Plume Of Ash might as well be an unreleased Jon Hassell piece. I'd say it had less of an impression on me than the others, based on first listen, though there were tracks I did like a lot. At least it doesn't have any songs with spoken word...

Yeah, I hear you. I hate it when David Sylvian shows up to ruin the mood of my favourite albums. Usually I'm not into stuff that bites Hassell's style too much but Henriksen's material is good enough to make an exception.

Agreed on Sylvian. I just don't get what people see in his vocals. Now we have Sylvain Chauveau mimicking him. And yeah, the Hassell-ish track is one of the best ones on the album, imo. No 4th world beats or anything though; just a 2 minute solo trumpet piece.

Archived