IGNORED

Forgotten IDM producers

Poimandres

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Funkstörung

chris de luca prima donna

I think 2004 is when Funkstörung as a duo started to decline in their career. They were pretty strong until then. My understanding is that Fakesch and De Luca parted ways and went solo in 2006.

Funkstörung

chris de luca prima donna

I think 2004 is when Funkstörung as a duo started to decline in their career. They were pretty strong until then. My understanding is that Fakesch and De Luca parted ways and went solo in 2006.

their early solo eps are great also

groovesmag_btm_hi.jpg

Remember Grooves Magazine?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grooves_%28magazine%29

It bizarre to remember going into the local bookstore chain and picking up a copy of this magazine, which was always full of IDM features and reviews.

It feels like it was a different planet back then.

yee king

jega

animals on wheels

beta bodega dudes

hvartski thogh KWF is still kicking it modular hard

all the one/two shot projects on rephlex

atom heart

the schematic label

kid 606

nobu takemura

oval

mixmaster morris

i'm forgetting loads

This thread almost demands a follow up "where are they now thread" in which we nerdily track down these guys and post up links to (if any) newer stuff they've made.

So right.

Where can I get like every issue of this? That'd be great.

Some at reasonable enough prices on ebay actually.

This thread almost demands a follow up "where are they now thread" in which we nerdily track down these guys and post up links to (if any) newer stuff they've made.

Yes - this.

2 of my favorite IDM producers ( i put these guys next to AE and Aphex easily) ever only put out a small body of work

Hyu

FX Randomiz

others that were pretty great but sort of fell off the map

Brian English

Arovane

Locust

Lithops

Upsidedown Umbrella

Nobukazu Takemura

Kiyoshi Izuma (extremely underrated, him and Hyu are on Nobukazu Tekemura's label Child disc)

it's such a shame. if there was more money in it then a lot of these people probably would've carried on investing their time and money into making new music and releasing it.

I think around 2003/4 is when everybody started getting broadband and then proceeded to download the shit out of everything and not pay for anything. this also seems to me to be around the same sort of time the IDMz died. - coincidence?

I don't think it's just that people stopped liking it and/or got old.

that might have played a small role in it, also a lot of the idm coming out that employed innovative use of software and technology i think sort of went out of fashion when Breakcore and glitch-hop became established genres and bedroom producers started 'catching up' with the wizardry in releases like Go Plastic, Draft and Drukqs.

if you push the envelope heavily on an album ie like FX Randomiz and Hyu did a few times and you don't get much notoriety from it its probably pretty easy to just throw in the towel rather than continuing on the same trajectory. It's unfortunate but i think during IDM there was a rush to impress listeners with the technology and sounds on display. Electronic music now at least electronic music in the same underground world IDM came from seems more about atmosphere and simplicity.

A lot of the idm musicians mentioned in this thread didn't simply make floaty melodies on top of glitchy beats, they toiled over having a unique sound design palette that they could call their own. Another good example is Cylob, he carved his own path for so many years but imo never really got the attention he deserved.

I think it had a large part to play. it's the main reason a lot of people can't be bothered making albums anymore, and it's the main reason excellent labels like Merck just said 'fuck it'... if I remember rightly. because it's not worth the time, energy, money, etc. etc.

that might have played a small role in it, also a lot of the idm coming out that employed innovative use of software and technology i think sort of went out of fashion when Breakcore and glitch-hop became established genres and bedroom producers started 'catching up' with the wizardry in releases like Go Plastic, Draft and Drukqs.

if you push the envelope heavily on an album ie like FX Randomiz and Hyu did a few times and you don't get much notoriety from it its probably pretty easy to just throw in the towel rather than continuing on the same trajectory. It's unfortunate but i think during IDM there was a rush to impress listeners with the technology and sounds on display. Electronic music now at least electronic music in the same underground world IDM came from seems more about atmosphere and simplicity.

I think dance and club music changed a lot as well, starting in the mid-00s. As you mentioned, a lot of novel textures and aesthetics of IDM that were being fleshed out by early producers are a lot easier to emulate now. It went beyond breakcore and glitch-hop too and it seeped into instrumental hip-hop, dubstep and UK garage/bass music in general, techno and house. There's a lot of IDM/glitch/experimental/breakcore producers from the early 00s that have been usurped by artists influenced by them - acknowledged or not. The whole re-shuffling of Planet Mu's releases and main artists is a good example.

groovesmag_btm_hi.jpg

Remember Grooves Magazine?

http://en.wikipedia....oves_(magazine)

It bizarre to remember going into the local bookstore chain and picking up a copy of this magazine, which was always full of IDM features and reviews.

It feels like it was a different planet back then.

whoa, looking over that is quite a trip down memory lane for me...

good thread

ones i had forgotten/don't see mentioned much anymore are:

horse opera

frog pocket

doormouse

stunt rock

kettel

and that other old planet mu guy, tim something..

Archived