IGNORED

Untilted

Redruth

fermium is my least favorite and I blame it, at least in part, to it playing immediately upon going to warps website back then. of course I would obsessively check the site for updates and every single time I went, the beginning of fermium started and it was so grating and annoying to me.

I understand what you mean, the track started out that way to me. If it wasn't for my very subjective association I feel in it, it would probably still be that way. It basically makes me think of some futuristic club or city where fermium plays and is all the rage, but it's not really this world, it's some alternate dimension or something where clothes, structures and everything is different. The cover has some vague connection to that. Can't say that without sounding silly, but I really like it in my head. The ending of Fermium also has awesome glitch and sound design. Lots of small details after the 'melody' goes away.

Also, the sort of droning synths that come in after has this otherworldly sound as well, as does a lot o Untilted. I'm unable to describe it in words, but once it sat in my brain, it's solid.

Edited by coax

Guest Balance

Put me in the camp of folks not entirely won over by Sublimit. It seems to meander around aimlessly - but then ends great. Whereas Surripere starts great and ends aimless. Both those tracks get a lot of praise and I just don't see/feel it. Diff'rent strokes and all...

Untilted is "okay". Live stuff stomps and pisses all over the album tho.

The aimlessly bits are the best, it's like bathing in beats and melodies, especially the Surripere aimlessly, there's a bassy beat which helps you keep the rhythm.

It's like the last track on draft, I now prefer the last bit to the first, i yearn for the Autechre aimless bits.

Sublimit is one of their finest moments. The way they tweak that high pitched hip hop sample gives me such a wide sphincter. And the distorted voices towards the end sends shivers.

How is it possible for them to be 15 years into making music at that point and still be just so fucking solid? 22 years and still going strong.

Long live the 'chre.

The end of Sublimit is one of the best moments ever! Untitled is all about Sublimit to me.

Moment of real genius! Not easy to explain...it's the moment that makes everything else in my mind to stop allowing me only to see objective reality by separating my higher consciousness from myself; to understand kindness and hidden beauty of God manifesting it self as a shine of million warm and gentle setting suns passing through a gleaming glass in front of me.

Hard to beat something like that! ;)

I remember when I 'got' Iera. I was kind of depressed and feeling sick of my family and such...and I was walking around and I started to feel like everything around me was sickly and diseased. Iera was the sound of such a feeling.

oh man I remember when I 'got' (lol) ipacial section as well. I was smokin a joint and a realized that the section starting at 5:23 with the repetitive 8th note thing on top was actually a very beautiful melody, before I had only heard it as noise. But I could hear the tones in it and I was like "holy mother of god"

the latter part of 'the trees' really perked up my ears.. the way the beat and the various sounds create a sort of negative space, framing ghost sounds somehow. maybe it's just compression. i get a a lot of smoke/smoldery imagery from that track, as it develops. and the decrepit "melody"

oh man I remember when I 'got' (lol) ipacial section as well. I was smokin a joint and a realized that the section starting at 5:23 with the repetitive 8th note thing on top was actually a very beautiful melody, before I had only heard it as noise. But I could hear the tones in it and I was like "holy mother of god"

right on! I also love the volume dip & swell of those bell sounds at 3:21

also the bouncy-ball drums and the pretty background melody in teh middle of Augmatic Disport

and the sloppy beats with teh decelerando hi-hat at the end of Iera

I remember when I 'got' Iera. I was kind of depressed and feeling sick of my family and such...and I was walking around and I started to feel like everything around me was sickly and diseased. Iera was the sound of such a feeling.

I know what you mean! Iera has that sickly feeling to me too, but it's the moment when the album ducks just nicely before rise of the great trilogy (Fermium/The Trees/Sublimit) that sounds like variations and only in the third attempt manages to deliver a true bliss, the melody on the end of Sublimit.

• 1 month later...

I disliked this album for such a very long time. With the exception for Sublimit, which I originally saw as the only high point of the album.I listed to it a good bit when it first came out, but from ~july '05 on, I only listened to Sublimit. I remember kind of liking Pro Radii and The Trees, but never listened to them much.

I think my problem with it was the first minute of LCC, Augmatic Disport, and Fermium got so annoying so fast for me. The drum pattern was cool for the first 2-3 rounds through, but they dwelled on them too long.

I recently went back to give it another try, and now I'm all about it. It's still not in my top 5 of theirs, but I'm sold on it as a solid album.

I still feel the first minute of LCC and Fermium are the worst parts of the song, but once that minute is up, the songs become fantastic.

I still have mixed feelings on Augmatic Disport. It also has what I consider a terrible first minute, but then I like it. But then at about 4:30, the song goes to hell, and I hate it. But THEN, around the 6 minute mark, everything is exceptional again. I like that it takes my mind in many different directions, but the parts I'm not fond of will pull me out of whatever headspace I'm in, and all I can focus on is how much I'm not enjoying the song.

Edited by fizzkinz

This was actually the first autechre album I heard... probably not even all the way through since I HATED it - couldn't stand it. I had heard great things about autechre and this was their latest record so I gave it a spin. When Quaristice came out I decided to give them another go and that one did it for me. I listened to way more electronic music in between there so I think I was finally ' mentally ready' for autechre. Funny thing is, now... after getting all of their albums and EPs, Untilted is my fav! The first 4 tracks of that album are the greatest block of autechre tracks recorded on disc for me... the rest of it took even longer for me to get into, but now I absolutely adore the whole thing.

It's also my favorite cover & packaging... love that silver!

As for live, I've only heard the School of Art 2005 show from this era and the only part I like better live was Pro Radii... that version absolutely KILLS! Wish it was on the album like that :music:

Guest disoriental express

love that silver!

And yeah this album packs a mean punch of holograms..

Edited by disoriental express

Wow, this topic has got me listening to Untilted for the first time in a long while... It's blowing my mind all over again.

Edit: What the hell is the time signature at the beginning of Augmatic Disport?!

4/4

It ends up in 4/4, but it doesn't sound like it starts out in it...

It's 4/4 but there's just some crazy syncopation going on.. typical Autechre!

Is there ever... For an album of such rhythmic mayhem most of it is in 4/4.

Can't remember exactly off the top of my head, but they squeeze five "hits" equally rhythmically/metrically spaced into three beats. All in 4/4.

I'd been listening to them for about a year and a half by the time this one came out. A friend put their whole discography up to that point on my iPod.

It took about a year to get into Draft, but this one just took 7 years for me to warm up to it. Such is Autechre I guess

Edited by fizzkinz

As much as I love Untilted, Draft 7.30 is the superior album in my books. Surripere being the greatest Autechre track ever.

Yup. And I'd say Confield tops Draft. Surripere sounds like Draft having a mildly disturbing Confield flashback.