IGNORED

Vaporwave

Nebraska

**NOT A DRILL**

Nmesh is putting an album out on orange milk called 'pharma'

https://www.tinymixtapes.com/news/nmesh-returns-massive-new-album-pharma-orange-milk

most people here know who nmesh is and know that he's fkn great. dream sequins is the album that really got me into vaporwave, i already liked vektroid and OPN but within the first few seconds of hearing keep this i was like 'ooh shit! this is exactly the sorta take on vaporwave i've been waiting to hear' and it was all downhill from there. 

FUCK YES love NMESH. Him and DDS.wmv are some of the most definitive vw producers ever (granted I'm so out of touch from this stuff now not sure my 2 cents count for much as you other guys putting out music, mixes, and finding new stuff)

you know I can hear some similarities between his stuff and some of your Kuwait Paragraphic tracks production wise

Ah just came to post about this. Yeah, can't wait for it, three years in the making. At least one of the tracks was started around the same time as nu.wav hallucinations as well. The names on the remix tape are incredible as well. Have a nasty feeling this is going to be snapped up straight away so I've already asked Alex to save me a copy haha.

Ah just came to post about this. Yeah, can't wait for it, three years in the making. At least one of the tracks was started around the same time as nu.wav hallucinations as well. The names on the remix tape are incredible as well. Have a nasty feeling this is going to be snapped up straight away so I've already asked Alex to save me a copy haha.

Yeah Orange Milk does bigger runs - 200 usually - and they've done second batches before - still I agree I think this will be snatched up fast.

I got the impression nu.wav and sequin dreams were very conceptional, thematic, etc. so perhaps these tracks are ones he didn't include because of narrative reasons? The remixes should be good as well, quite a roster of remixers.

^oh they're just 3 links to newish vaporwave releases that thought mbe of interest 2 u guys coz they're slightly tangental ; 1st link is a shit tonne of samples from ages old daytime telly, 2nd link being the home computing album by C:\User, & last link is 2 boffinwave™ classic lp 'YOUR STUPID LIFE', by MacroSoft©. images r just thrown in 4 fun & good measure; 1st gif is an old clunky sunset cowboy moon cgi loop, the other image is a notice served by Kmart to a customer (:

:cat::emotawesomepm9::mu-ziq::music::biggrin::cerious::biggrin::beer: love that were having fun lol

just explained vaporwave to a dance producer/dj who did lots of huge club/pop remixes in the 90s (incl madonna / mj) and to this day, on a phone call we had. wondering if he'll get/dig it. always a crap shoot lol... its always hard to explain in a soundbite, but sounds like he was interested. tempted to ask if he wants to experiment on a soulful house/nu disco/vaporwave fusion project.

Edited by Lane Visitor

• 2 weeks later...

just discovered this release and really digging it

https://swampcircle.bandcamp.com/album/park-city-by-day

Oh cheers! :) That was originally lined up to be an International Debris album but then ID moved on to more synthy stuff so I went with that name (I also lost the album for about 18 months).

whoa no way, this is your project? cheers! and very cool for sure.. really digging the whole package man, it's excellent stuff. Gives me exotic Jarre and ambient techno vibes. Just curious is this all sample based or any original production? 

Oh cheers! :) That was originally lined up to be an International Debris album but then ID moved on to more synthy stuff so I went with that name (I also lost the album for about 18 months).

https://swampcircle.bandcamp.com/album/the-last-day-of-the-year-in-september

this one's pretty awesome too.. over the top dark rainy drone in alleywalls of mystery. exagerrated and cartoonish but still mysterious with a sense of heavy noir and a dash of atmospheric black metal sensibility. i love the cover art too. 

whoa no way, this is your project? cheers! and very cool for sure.. really digging the whole package man, it's excellent stuff. Gives me exotic Jarre and ambient techno vibes. Just curious is this all sample based or any original production? 

It's largely sample-based, although most of the synth pads on top of the main loops are from my MicroKorg XL, as well as the bits of vocoded vocals that appear occasionally. ParkCity Exit Closed is about 95% original, the only sample in that is the slowed down Biffy Clyro loop during the first third. Glad you dig it :D 

this one's pretty awesome too.. over the top dark rainy drone in alleywalls of mystery. exagerrated and cartoonish but still mysterious with a sense of heavy noir and a dash of atmospheric black metal sensibility. i love the cover art too. 

Thanks! That's a really old one, recorded in 2012 or 2013 I think. I occasionally throw in a bit of noisy stuff into my music like that (the other one I did for Swamp Circle, Feminine Module, is probably my noisiest). 

I have a ton of other projects in countless styles that I've done over the years (not all of them serious) - most are collected here.

It's largely sample-based, although most of the synth pads on top of the main loops are from my MicroKorg XL, as well as the bits of vocoded vocals that appear occasionally. ParkCity Exit Closed is about 95% original, the only sample in that is the slowed down Biffy Clyro loop during the first third. Glad you dig it :D 

Thanks! That's a really old one, recorded in 2012 or 2013 I think. I occasionally throw in a bit of noisy stuff into my music like that (the other one I did for Swamp Circle, Feminine Module, is probably my noisiest). 

I have a ton of other projects in countless styles that I've done over the years (not all of them serious) - most are collected here.

Very cool man, btw, did you program and mix that dnb drum groove on Skyship Launch Facility? That's some top notch dnb right there man, damn. 

Edited by Lane Visitor

I'm going to come clean and say sadly not. I won't, however, say where it's from. It's not from a dnb artist which is why I enjoyed reappropriating it.

Oh dude, not sad at all, however it was implemented, that track is killer as is the the full release. I've actually DLed the album (which i rarely do) and have been playing it daily since, while i work and fall asleep. it's very soothing and mystical for some reason. very nice work!

Edited by Lane Visitor

Cheers, really glad you're enjoying it. :) Really appreciate the kind words.

Only sad because I'd like to be able to say my production skills are at that level, but I operate at a more lo-fi level than that in general  :emotawesomepm9:

Anytime man, and yeah i hear you. Some of that hi tech production / mixing esp on modern dnb tracks released on proper labels are mind boggling. So much heaviness and smack, yet so light crisp and airy and a perfect balance with sweet liquidy mids too. It's kind of amazing how all of that character can be implemented in such a fast furious groove. I've been producing deep / soulful house stuff in my other project and still working out my approach with that sheen type of production / mixing, but it's never quite as dialed in as I want it to be, feel like it just barely gets by on the cusp in terms of professional quality haha. definitely a journey. Lo fi is just as much of art too, and it's not at all easy. A lot of people fake it and you can tell when it's well-produced and mixed lo fi vs mediocre, I think you definitely have it down in your work. To be honest, a lot of my Donovan work has been more of a bedroom approach to production and mixing, mostly because I've felt that the attitude and personality benefits from a more improvisational and spare of the moment approach. I've taken it to a sort of extreme in terms of not wanting to slave over mixes or sonic elements, unlike my solo work and certain collaborations that Ive taken more "seriously" within different genres and for other purposes like licensing, etc. But ironically there are still Donovan tracks which took close to no time to make that still sound more authentic and characterful and smoother than any of that "serious" work I do lol. So now I'm kind of working on finding a common ground between a more loose and raw mix and being heavily produced. Of course, it's always about the music first, but production and mixing is so important. I'm working toward trying to bring more sonic tlc and time into the DH stuff, as it's evolving in some different ways and i think its time for me to step it up. i don't want to lose the fun and sillyness, but I think you can still retain that and make it more professional sounding.  

Edited by Lane Visitor

Thanks guys! working on newer stuff for a concept album/cassette. Those tracks didn't fit the direction of the new album.

I've been producing deep / soulful house stuff in my other project and still working out my approach with that sheen type of production / mixing, but it's never quite as dialed in as I want it to be, feel like it just barely gets by on the cusp in terms of professional quality haha.

Tell me about it! I was actually working on a track last year that incorporated a lot of techniques I'd picked up in a few places and it was sounding pretty pro, but I sort of felt it began to lose the 'me' element in the process. Most of the work I've done over the years has been reasonably lo-fi, either intentionally or simply through lack of experience / knowledge, and I've generally found moving away from that doesn't suit me, much as I'd love to produce stuff that's as stunningly intricate as most of my favourite day-job artists. 

And yeah, there's a difference between lo-fi and simply badly done (hence the many gigs of unreleased material on my HD!). I think when it comes to it, I'm relatively cloth-eared when it comes to the more technical end - particularly in regards to mixing - but I love collecting sounds and textures, so focusing more on incorporating grit and hiss into my track suits me better than making sure all the separate drum tracks are all at the right frequency to make the tightest mix.

Your DH stuff has always seemed immaculately produced to me!

I've been producing deep / soulful house stuff in my other project and still working out my approach with that sheen type of production / mixing, but it's never quite as dialed in as I want it to be, feel like it just barely gets by on the cusp in terms of professional quality haha.

Tell me about it! I was actually working on a track last year that incorporated a lot of techniques I'd picked up in a few places and it was sounding pretty pro, but I sort of felt it began to lose the 'me' element in the process. Most of the work I've done over the years has been reasonably lo-fi, either intentionally or simply through lack of experience / knowledge, and I've generally found moving away from that doesn't suit me, much as I'd love to produce stuff that's as stunningly intricate as most of my favourite day-job artists. 

And yeah, there's a difference between lo-fi and simply badly done (hence the many gigs of unreleased material on my HD!). I think when it comes to it, I'm relatively cloth-eared when it comes to the more technical end - particularly in regards to mixing - but I love collecting sounds and textures, so focusing more on incorporating grit and hiss into my track suits me better than making sure all the separate drum tracks are all at the right frequency to make the tightest mix.

Your DH stuff has always seemed immaculately produced to me!

Man, I really appreciate the words. Definitely sounds like you are growing and evolving with your sound re: moving away from stuff that doesn't suit you. It's all about simplifying and minimizing i think. It's hard to focus when there are so many options and ideas, but i think it pays off for sure. I have so much focusing I need to work on and so many other "ideas and things" i need to not be concerned with and just get the work done and get projects out. 

Simplifying and minimalising definitely. I'm going 100% hardware for my ID stuff these days and I've made a conscious decision to work within the limits of what I've got for the minute, with the hope that as I become more practiced, and get more gear, I can make gradual steps forward as it feels natural.

• 2 weeks later...