IGNORED

Squarepusher is the worst musician any sane person could ever listen to

Guest Adam

Btw, I love Squarepusher for always testing and pushing the boundaries even though I don't like all his releases.

And I think it's silly to say that he should go back to his D&B from 1996. It's boring too. I appreciate artists like the ones featured in this forum because they have been developing their sound for the last 20 years, thus developing and challenging my listening habits as well.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't make any music. Does that mean I am not allowed to criticise? Damn, how can I delete my 700+ reviews from the internet? :cerious:

Yea, I've been told that's how it works by some dude on here. Because of this rule, there's A LOT of things in life I can't have an opinion on.

Yeah, that reminds me of a senile 90 year old granddad who tells you that you can't talk about hardship because you haven't been in WW1. Basically, it's arrogance. Nothing more.

• 10 months later...

I'm partial to his drum and base and ambient techno (e.g. Planetarium).

(but really you're right-- I have trouble getting 'into him')

The cacophony of disparate noises that he binds to those interesting drumbeats speak to a high degree of progressiveness-- to say the least about what he does. It is reminiscent of those whose sound offered a certain prescience to the darker styles of drum n bass and is similar to some jungle drummers, fusion artists, ect. from back in the day

He steps out of the square all the time with busy beats and cascades of discordance and drums... ...I should say there really is no such thing ambient electro-fusion jazz/funk, so his Experimentalism predominates. It's only ever just a fusion. It's a wonder-- reminds me a lil bit of Venetian Snares. Considering the sort of bits he throws in as 'melodies'. I'm partial to his "Beep Street"; "Iambic 9 Poetry"; and definitely "Planetarium" I'm partial to his drum and bass
It's a wonder, considering the sort of bits he throws in as 'melodies'. I'm partial to his "Beep Street"; "Iambic 9 Poetry"; and definately "Planetarium"... Also, I think his drumset breakbeats are always very moorish...

Dunno, saw him at Bestival over the weekend and I couldn't link the bloke having a midlife crisis wearing flashing lights on his face with the same man who created Ultravisitor.

tl;dr (this is a more concise revision to my other post)

lol I think ultravisitor is super-duper spacey-wacey. Oh, he's a jazz freak alright-- just as sure as Hendrix will be shredding it up in God-knows-where, beyond the grave. I also hear he's [squarepusher] got very radical music listening habits; although, I'm interested, so long as the mood in the song keeps changing, I think that there are shining examples of his analogue/acoustic style of sound that are interspersed throughout his works.

I do love Autechre's surrealist soundscapes, too (they go a lot harder)... The scene has already begum to unfold, and these progressives are the impoetus for many audiophiles/Producers Even though the genres are tangentially related, I admire the flourish and finesse that comes with interesting experimental music.

A bit of a mental block tends toward pigeonholing as the genre-style evolves, too. Like Syro, has one most amazing track: 'Minipops 67'. Gotta go back and listen to that vocoder (or whatev) in 'Red Hot Car'

i am always pleased to meet similar people at parties, like when i'm drinking pbr and they tell me they "love" aphex twin + boards of canada. but "oh Squarepusher" who they don't really listen to except they know his name for some reason and actually think some of his music is really "annoying" or "like most of his stuff sucks but he has 1 or 2 good songs." i learned a lot from those conversations and stopped listening to Hard Normal Daddy and Go Plastic which I was starting to (stupidly) think were better documents of the era than anything AE or Aphex did

in the end, it's funkless, man. i mean, really. where's the funk?

That explains why he's all over the place. Being a bassist like he is, it's surprising to hear what he comes up with.

He is hit and miss some tracks are really good some are bad. Did see him live during hello everything period and it was really boring. Wish I had seen him during Ufabulum

He is hit and miss some tracks are really good some are bad. Did see him live during hello everything period and it was really boring. Wish I had seen him during Ufabulum

Saw him twice during the Ufab period, I was super psyched for it the first time, and he delivered, great show with new and old, good mix of live edits.

Ended with a live version of A Journey to Reedham, made my night.

The second time was at a festival... he started with about 5 minutes of drone which just made me anxious, seemed almost like he was having equipment problems, then got it going with some good stuff, but then veered into live-edit heavy skippy-repeaty territory, kinda felt like he was trying to "toughen up" his sound for the "younger festival audience". Didn't sit well with me or my companion, who requested a sit-down outside and I obliged.

I returned 15 minutes later to find him in his element, doing live bass and loop/fx pedal style improv. Had a good 10 minute groove to it, then had to call it a night.

Overall more good than bad, would see again.

Archived