IGNORED

the tuss - mug bass 12 09 06

guidewire

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmm, doesn't quite sound Tussy enough to me. I think the Tuss would have used 'stabbier' beats. Something about it seems a little amateur, perhaps not quite as polished as the real thing?

I could of course be entirely wrong, but it sounds very much like an imitator

A million times more convincing than The Muss.

The tonality is RDJ-esque. The Half-Whole Scale is hinted at (one of RDJ's faves).

(I started to write a 5000-word thesis on what was RDJ-esque about this tune, but I'll just say that based on some off-the-top-of-my-head Bayesian calculations I think it's 60% likely to be real).

To my ears it sounds like an Aphex jam session or something that wasn't developed into a full song. It can also be noted that it was uploaded by sisforawesome and he/she/it is in some way involved with/connected to the Rephlex bunch. So, it has more credibility than those random youtube channels. You could always PM him/her and ask as they are a member here. My professional opinion is that it is indeed legit.

So, the reverb-on-occassional-snare-hits trick is there.

The timbre of the bass is right (thought the squelching and modulation is more subtle than usual). Typical "dry" AFX bass.

The attention to detail in the drums (the AFX-isms are mega-subtle).

The tonality, again, is something that most forgers wouldn't have the ear for. For instance, the Muss uses some 'naff' changes (minor-key 1-4-5 kinda shit) which demonstrates a 'schooled' sensibility and more-or-less a beginner's musical IQ (no offense, the Muss, wherever you are).

Anyway, I'm actually more convinced of this track's authenticity the more I listen to it.

Definitely sounds like a run-of-the-mill, work-in-progress RDJ track. I agree with LimpyLoo's observations. There's also the shuffling hi-hats at 0:33 that sound exactly like those on Last Rushup, off the top of my head.

I could half see this being a RDJ track that he didn't feel was good enough to finalize and officially release. It's basically a sketch, and it isn't very interesting, structurally. Sounds nice, sounds tussy, but sounds like a trial run or a good imitation.

I wouldn't pay for the track in that form even if it was officially released under Aphex Twin.

I browse these forums a fair bit and have often seen you reply with a simple no. To amuse myself I thought I would try the same. It kind of worked. I actually DO enjoy this track the more I hear it, I just don't think it's legit.

I browse these forums a fair bit and have often seen you reply with a simple no. To amuse myself I thought I would try the same. It kind of worked. I actually DO enjoy this track the more I hear it, I just don't think it's legit.

If you squint at my "no" posts, there's some intelligent stuff in there.

Another detail what makes me think this track may well be authentic: sounds suspiciously like analog hardware, and not VST's.

So from a Bayesian probability standpoint we are eliminating alot of the would-be fakes and forgers right there.

Then couple that with the tonality and subtle knob-tweaking/production fingerprints and the drum programming and--once again, from a Bayesian standpoint--the chances of it being a fake (which are enormous by default when presented with a possible RDJ track) dwindle as each piece of information is considered.

One could always increase probability of this being legit by looking at whether the youtube channel has any fake tracks posted. I don't think it does and I believe it has some unofficially released tracks like Dave Monolith's "Amsterdam" on it as well. (I don't think this track is a proper release.) So, we don't have any reason to believe any tracks on this channel are fake.

Guest HokusPoker

Well, quality is part of my forensic analysis, but then again RDJ might be making bad music when nobody's listening.

I simply refuse to believe that though.

Archived