IGNORED

POST IDM

YEK

Actress. my theory is that RIP is supposed to be like the death of Aphex Twin to usher in a new age of music

stuff like Patten and Actress is now more interesting to me than listening to Drukqs again, of course it's all great stuff but there is definitely new music going on

and RIP is one of the best electronic albums in a while, I really love it.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Post-IDM? It started with Skrillex's first 'drop'. I'm anxiously awaiting some pre-"something better" though. It'll arrive no sooner than Kimye's lovechild goes into puberty, I'm predicting. It'll have 7 tentacles with which it can operate all kinds of devices at the same time. The Prometheus engineers would be proud of him/her.

technojungledrumnbasshousetrancegaragedrumnbassagaingrimebasslinedubstepdubstepdubstepdubstepdubstepdubstep

idmidmidmidmidmidmidmidmidmidmidmidmidmidmidmidmidmidmidmidm

acidacidacidacidacidacidacidacidacidacidacidacidacidacidacidacidacidacidacid

If IDM were a dog it would be an old dying racing dog who won many races in its time but is now losing to faster better looking on steroids racing dogs. There IS a minority who still bet on this old dying dog but this minority consists of 85 year old men who are in love with the past fooling themselves that this once great dog will win a race again against all odds.

Actress. my theory is that RIP is supposed to be like the death of Aphex Twin to usher in a new age of music

stuff like Patten and Actress is now more interesting to me than listening to Drukqs again, of course it's all great stuff but there is definitely new music going on

are you fucking joking? If Actress is supposed to be the 'death' of aphex twin then aphex twin must have aged 40 years in hyper speed and turned into a dusty old chinese mummy. There is absolutely no fucking way that RIP even holds a candle to GAK (aphex's worst work).

I almost just passed out from disbelief that not only that you just said that but RIP is voted one of the best albums of 2012... what happened to you watmm :sad:. Although i do admit that i enjoyed that (2nd?) track off RIP that sounds like a parody of side-chaining compressing, where it's like a 4/4 techno track where you literally don't hear the bass drum but just the pumping and breathing of where it would be if it were compressed with one, not sure if it's a joke track but it's hilarious

I always saw good and proper IDM as just cutting edge electronic music that came out post-rave. If anyone thinks that aspect of IDM is dead then they've just been reading shitfork too often

'idm' is irrelevant now that popular dance music like electro house and brostep are all glitchy and fast

why listen to autechre when you can hear similar sounds in a skrillex track that you can actually dance to aswell?

are you fucking joking? If Actress is supposed to be the 'death' of aphex twin then aphex twin must have aged 40 years in hyper speed and turned into a dusty old chinese mummy. There is absolutely no fucking way that RIP even holds a candle to GAK (aphex's worst work).

I almost just passed out from disbelief that not only that you just said that but RIP is voted one of the best albums of 2012... what happened to you watmm :sad:. Although i do admit that i enjoyed that (2nd?) track off RIP that sounds like a parody of side-chaining compressing, where it's like a 4/4 techno track where you literally don't hear the bass drum but just the pumping and breathing of where it would be if it were compressed with one, not sure if it's a joke track but it's hilarious

I always saw good and proper IDM as just cutting edge electronic music that came out post-rave. If anyone thinks that aspect of IDM is dead then they've just been reading shitfork too often

finally someone who agrees on RIP being a weak release. VHS Head was weak as well but not as much as RIP

Guest TheWallOfSacrifice

i would say the bandcamp stuff (2008/2012 witch/chillwave/vaporwave/hypnagogic/vhs) is very close to the creative, sincere, DIY aesthetic of the 90's idm parradigm.. (and i find it more engaging than let's say current post-flylo sidechain warp output or boring footwork/trap).

this thread has been bullshit so far, but in my opinion;

late 80s 90-93 92-5

acid/techno -> breakbeat hardcore -> ambient techno (early idm)

2005-2009 2010-2013 2013-??

acid throwback -> hardcore throwback -> early idm throwback

obviously that's an over simplification, but I have a feeling we'll be hearing more stuff influenced by early 90s electronic listening music soon, and there has definitely already been a bit of good stuff along this line here and there recently.

What the fuck is hardcore throwback?

maybe all the resurgence in rave breakbeats, 909 drums, and piano house loops into garage and house tunes lately - i.e. Lone and the plethora of releases that sound like that

late 80s 90-93 92-5

obviously that's an over simplification, but I have a feeling we'll be hearing more stuff influenced by early 90s electronic listening music soon, and there has definitely already been a bit of good stuff along this line here and there recently.

maybe all the resurgence in rave breakbeats, 909 drums, and piano house loops into garage and house tunes lately - i.e. Lone and the plethora of releases that sound like that

I would love to see a 'hardcore/rave' throwback wave. But I can't really think of anyone other than Lone doing that.

late 80s 90-93 92-5

I would love to see a 'hardcore/rave' throwback wave. But I can't really think of anyone other than Lone doing that.

It seems to be more of a trend with 12" and EPs and not so much full albums (like Lone or Zomby's Where Were You In 92') - I'm actually drawing a blank though, but I know I've heard it with a lot of dubstep/garage/etc. Like it's no "wave" or trend in and of itself, just a lot of revisits to 90s rave, d'n'b, etc and also this seapunk stuff lately

I almost just passed out from disbelief that not only that you just said that but RIP is voted one of the best albums of 2012... what happened to you watmm

finally someone who agrees on RIP being a weak release.

Nice, not the only one here who wasn't a huge RIP fan - I liked it but not my fav by a long shot. I liked Splazsh a lot more anyway.

*Slow Claps*

If pitchfork had been around in the 90s they would have repped every single Aphex Twin album

they repped many Autechre albums

so, not a good argument by a long shot (and fuck pitchfork)

I can't explain why I came to love RIP. It wasn't instant by any means. I wrote something "official" about it for another forum's year end list that I can post here if anyone wants.

If pitchfork had been around in the 90s they would have repped every single Aphex Twin album

they repped many Autechre albums

so, not a good argument by a long shot (and fuck pitchfork)

I can't explain why I came to love RIP. It wasn't instant by any means. I wrote something "official" about it for another forum's year end list that I can post here if anyone wants.

Pitchfork is a different thing than it used to be. It used to have integrity.

It no longer does. It has gone pop.

And no I'm not a hipster, I've just watched Pitchfork's IQ drop slowly over the years and now they are essentially just a PR firm that fucking loves hip-hop.

thanks for that, they used to be actually a pretty decent site in the earliest years

but yeah, I still recommend giving Actress a few tries here and there... I was rather surprised because I'd not heard it in months. I put it on and found that it was like returning to an old friend, which is when I realized that it was a good album, to me.

thanks for that, they used to be actually a pretty decent site in the earliest years

but yeah, I still recommend giving Actress a few tries here and there... I was rather surprised because I'd not heard it in months. I put it on and found that it was like returning to an old friend, which is when I realized that it was a good album, to me.

I actually like RIP. But to say that it denotes the death of IDM is some goofy-ass shit.

Vamos, I had a similar realization about R.I.P, it's one of those albums that mystifies the mind with abstract yet oddly familiar atmospheres/emotions, which is akin to when I originally started listening to more IDM/experimental electronic music. Specifically Aphex Twin. So in that sense this is next level electronic music, therefore "post-idm" or whatever, if we are getting down to brass tacks. The Tuss had that kind of impression as well but its still very much AFX and therefore is more of an extension of the past. Actress's music while maybe not technically impressive (I don't know about compression techniques) is structurally interesting because of his ability to craft these textural sonic touches that give the music a physicality. It's almost a reverse of Aphex processes. Hardware ---> Digital ... Actress started Digital with Hazyvile, which took him 3-5 years to make I believe(?), and branched from that structural idea over to Hardware on R.I.P, so the summation of both is like the next level, yeah lol... imo

Archived