IGNORED

POST IDM

YEK

Actress' RIP comes from the more abstract minimalist school of thought rather than busy 150bpm beats and erratic synth melodies.

I'd put Actress in the same ball park as Tim Hecker/Keith Fullerton Whitman/Gas/The Field/Fennez rather than Aphex/Squarepusher/Plaid ect.

Call it post IDM, artsy hipster or just modern electronic music but regardless its original, experimental and works.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I always saw good and proper IDM as just cutting edge electronic music that came out post-rave. If anyone thinks that aspect of IDM is dead then they've just been reading shitfork too often

this.

If pitchfork had been around in the 90s they would have repped every single Aphex Twin album

that's true, they have for the most part:

http://web.archive.org/web/200101241159/http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/record-reviews/a/aphex-twin/come-to-daddy.shtml

http://web.archive.org/web/20010307120925/http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/record-reviews/a/aphex-twin/richard-d-james-album.shtml

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/6393-surfing-on-sine-waves/

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/223-selected-ambient-works-85-92/

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/239-hangable-auto-bulb/

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/227-26-mixes-for-cash/

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/10401-rushup-edge-ep/

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/240-chosen-lords/

drukqs got a 5.5 and Analords (they reviewed 2 or 3 at a time) averaged between a high 6 and low 7

Oh, Pitchfork, winner of the Golden Facepalm. Never forget.

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/368-untilted/

Would post-idm be kinda like post-industrial.. you know, like when Coil went all ambienty, started writing tunes about broccoli, and then Sleazy started making really nifty dark music with children's voices and upright bass?

Actress. my theory is that RIP is supposed to be like the death of Aphex Twin to usher in a new age of music

stuff like Patten and Actress is now more interesting to me than listening to Drukqs again, of course it's all great stuff but there is definitely new music going on

and RIP is one of the best electronic albums in a while, I really love it.

yes. andy stott also. this is, what i would call post-idm.

also my tunes like:

http://soundcloud.com/2kn/2kn-dadad-2-dragonperc

or

http://soundcloud.com/2kn/2kn-xyl-live-extract

Actress. my theory is that RIP is supposed to be like the death of Aphex Twin to usher in a new age of music

stuff like Patten and Actress is now more interesting to me than listening to Drukqs again, of course it's all great stuff but there is definitely new music going on

and RIP is one of the best electronic albums in a while, I really love it.

are you fucking joking? If Actress is supposed to be the 'death' of aphex twin then aphex twin must have aged 40 years in hyper speed and turned into a dusty old chinese mummy. There is absolutely no fucking way that RIP even holds a candle to GAK (aphex's worst work).

I almost just passed out from disbelief that not only that you just said that but RIP is voted one of the best albums of 2012... what happened to you watmm :sad:. Although i do admit that i enjoyed that (2nd?) track off RIP that sounds like a parody of side-chaining compressing, where it's like a 4/4 techno track where you literally don't hear the bass drum but just the pumping and breathing of where it would be if it were compressed with one, not sure if it's a joke track but it's hilarious

I always saw good and proper IDM as just cutting edge electronic music that came out post-rave. If anyone thinks that aspect of IDM is dead then they've just been reading shitfork too often

finally someone who agrees on RIP being a weak release. VHS Head was weak as well but not as much as RIP

sorry for the double post, but dude, you are comparing apple and oranges :emotawesomepm9:

how is aphex twin being innovative? he was it in the 90ies, then he continued his sound. actress is something completly new in 2012 like aphex was with his idm tracks. this is what makes sense to call post-idm, no matter, how far from aphex it sounds.

and anyway to everyone saying R.I.P. is a weak release - you don't get it :cisfor: take more time and heavier drugs, boys :spiteful:

this thread has been bullshit so far, but in my opinion;

late 80s 90-93 92-5

acid/techno -> breakbeat hardcore -> ambient techno (early idm)

2005-2009 2010-2013 2013-??

acid throwback -> hardcore throwback -> early idm throwback

obviously that's an over simplification, but I have a feeling we'll be hearing more stuff influenced by early 90s electronic listening music soon, and there has definitely already been a bit of good stuff along this line here and there recently.

What the fuck is hardcore throwback?

maybe all the resurgence in rave breakbeats, 909 drums, and piano house loops into garage and house tunes lately - i.e. Lone and the plethora of releases that sound like that

I would love to see a 'hardcore/rave' throwback wave. But I can't really think of anyone other than Lone doing that.

It seems to be more of a trend with 12" and EPs and not so much full albums (like Lone or Zomby's Where Were You In 92') - I'm actually drawing a blank though, but I know I've heard it with a lot of dubstep/garage/etc. Like it's no "wave" or trend in and of itself, just a lot of revisits to 90s rave, d'n'b, etc and also this seapunk stuff lately

Yeah, I forgot about the Scuba and Zomby album.

@ganus

Just curious... I don't understand why you say that 2010-2013 was the era of 'throwback hardcore'. There's not enough of these types of releases for that. Maybe there's just something I've haven't heard yet?

Okay, always seeking new stuff, I'm listening to Actress RIP right now and so far it actually has a lot of aspects that remind me of early-mid 90s. A lot of the (not 4/4) tracks really remind me of old AFX beats and detuned synths, or old SKAM tracks under layers of similar analog distortion. I certainly hear the Gas connection too. First impression, it has some enjoyable moments and it suits my synaesthesia quite nicely (let's just say, I'm always on free natural drugs and don't need any).

I think he has a 'signature sound' he's going for, maybe that's what's new if anything, the tracks have a consistent eq curve or color to them esp in the treble.. (FlyLo tried something similar with his albums, even though his beats are different). I hear analog with lots of compression, pumping, saturation and distortion in the mix, aka big swishy sounds.

Anyway I wouldn't call this post-idm because this exactly what I associate IDM with doing.

I also wouldn't quote net art or Tim Hecker or Oval or anything like that as post-idm, because well, they've been around just as long as IDM. It's just a different.. genre er lineage so to speak.

this.

Yep. That was the whole idea with armchair techno. IDM is already post-rave. That wouldn't almost be a bad genre title, post rave instead of IDM. Maybe still pretentious, but possibly more accurate..

• 3 weeks later...

idm is not dead nor will it be in the near future because challenging, sophisticated, complex, and unorthodox electronic music is still hard for even the most head-up-the-assed folks to get into.

• 1 year later...

And no I'm not a hipster, I've just watched Pitchfork's IQ drop slowly over the years and now they are essentially just a PR firm that fucking loves hip-hop.

edit: Just want to say this is a dead on description of the site overall.

Imagine at the climax of the ultimate life adventure, there are millions of us- united- the ultra underground resistance gathered as a unified consciousness in the streets of Shibuya, at the super street crossing. We gather the attention of all media, we have mad power; power the likes of which we only imagined but always knew was possible through unity. All our makeup washed away by the never-ending rain caused by HAARP, our mascara flowing black on our faces-- the blood of our wounds being cleansed by the tears of Gaia. No masks, no characters-- only sincerity. Then a small roar begins..... A roar from the deepest depths of heart-- the essence of humanity and the beauty of Gaia exploding from our souls to our throats. The roar... the roar of LIGHT. The roar becomes a chant that shakes the city-- shakes the foundations of false humanity itself... With fists in the air: "IDM!!! IDM!!! IDM!!!" For days, and days, and days... The roar of LIGHT filling us all with more energy than food could ever provide. For months, for years we chant: "IDM!!! IDM!!! IDM!!!" Fists in air never tiring. Throats and diaphragms only getting stronger. Focus is infinite. Veins pumping with the infinite spark of the cosmos. But then eventually we realize... what the fuck were we doing again? .......Shit. I forgot.

idm never even existed in the first place. the common denominator you ppl are calling idm was never real in any logical sense. it was all a false presumption, false enough not to be categorize-able as a separate entity

idm never even existed in the first place. the common denominator you ppl are calling idm was never real in any logical sense. it was all a false presumption, false enough not to be categorize-able as a separate entity

You ever consciously turn off the label/category/language part of your brain and experience something? I'm not trying to start some philosophical debate on labels and shit, but your post reminded me of the awesome power of pure-form experience. We mostly don't realize it, but written/spoken language has so been ingrained into our being as a substitute for truth, that even in emotion, there is a kneejerk reaction to unconsciously categorize and find comfort in our verbal-type analysis.

I know it sounds simplistic or whatever-- but if anyone is interested in experiencing profound perception from the seemingly mundane, I highly recommend doing it at least once (or living it fully, if you can take the insanity of sanity). Like taste an ice cream. If someone were to ask you what that tasted like a few minutes later, your brain would already have the descriptors up, cuz da brain already washed itself in the lies of da word. So taste something. And basically be consciously answering to yourself what that tastes like-- but answer with the taste itself. When that part of your brain automatically turns on, to try and use words, consciously hold that part and keeeeep it silent. Any stray thoughts of "what the fuck am I doing?", etc.-- silence that. You are silencing your intellect. AND THIS PART- if you do it right and keep tasting whilst holding SILENT- that otherwise normal function of taste will come across like the beginning rushes of an acid trip. You might find yourself looking into the distance with non-focused eyes. If you can hold this for long- and silencing your own "holy shit"s- you will go deeper into the essence of the taste; deeper into true tasting. And it will be just like how acid does, holding open your legs, tingling your peepee. Obviously, this works for all sense perception.

EVERYTHING IS RIGHT BEFORE US.

You ever consciously turn off the label/category/language part of your brain and experience something? I'm not trying to start some philosophical debate on labels and shit, but your post reminded me of the awesome power of pure-form experience. We mostly don't realize it, but written/spoken language has so been ingrained into our being as a substitute for truth, that even in emotion, there is a kneejerk reaction to unconsciously categorize and find comfort in our verbal-type analysis.

I know it sounds simplistic or whatever-- but if anyone is interested in experiencing profound perception from the seemingly mundane, I highly recommend doing it at least once (or living it fully, if you can take the insanity of sanity). Like taste an ice cream. If someone were to ask you what that tasted like a few minutes later, your brain would already have the descriptors up, cuz da brain already washed itself in the lies of da word. So taste something. And basically be consciously answering to yourself what that tastes like-- but answer with the taste itself. When that part of your brain automatically turns on, to try and use words, consciously hold that part and keeeeep it silent. Any stray thoughts of "what the fuck am I doing?", etc.-- silence that. You are silencing your intellect. AND THIS PART- if you do it right and keep tasting whilst holding SILENT- that otherwise normal function of taste will come across like the beginning rushes of an acid trip. You might find yourself looking into the distance with non-focused eyes. If you can hold this for long- and silencing your own "holy shit"s- you will go deeper into the essence of the taste; deeper into true tasting. And it will be just like how acid does, holding open your legs, tingling your peepee. Obviously, this works for all sense perception.

absolutely agree! what you've just explained i do with everything, whole my life, especially with music, trying to stay in balance within my 'left-right' brain as much as i can.

this is not a debate, just a few observations...

words are just poor abstractions of our 'real' perceptive experience, sometimes better sometimes worse, but we need a language to communicate. we also need those abstractions to be able to think more quickly and efficiently to overcome possible complexities in a stream of thoughts. that's why we usually 'think' partially with words, partially with pictures and feelings. simple thing like an ice-cream doesn't need words, of course, but also imo the less words we use in general in ours thinking process the better. some ppl are expressing them selfs more poetically (meaning = vivid expressiveness) then others in everyday life and i always thought that's the step closer to the 'reversed pure perception' (exists only in conversation) cause they are closer in perceiving the reality 'completely' and transfer it to others via language (like great poets = balanced 'left-right' brain) (visual artists need mostly the 'right' brain). composers have different things on their minds cause music (great, pro-life music) is more fundamental then poetry (poetry is the closest to music btw, prose is farthest excepts of architecture which can be seen as an opposite of music) or visual arts cause music is transferring 'forces' of/withing reality in the direct consumable form not 'meanings' nor phenomenon/appearance of parts within reality. by 'forces' i mean every possible set of rules (ideas?) within reality (in our minds too) that supports our life and spiritual growth, our fulfillment as human beings. (what is the fulfillment? can we know/cognize it? is the knowledge innate?)

imo that's why composers which understood this the most are the ones that had gone the farthest (bach, beethoven). heh...they also had the abilities to make it :p

see why something like idm is so stupid to me? what are we even doing with our music? maybe i'm totally off with these quasi-philosophical bullshit views but those the only one i have atm. i'd like you or anybody else to add or change those views cause i'd wonna to be closer to the truth and i have nobody else i can speak about this. so lonely, so lonely... :sad::cerious:

i could probably say much more, or go more deeply but my biggest problem is the language barrier. also tl;dr is what i'm trying to avoid.

back to idm... i agree that the common denominator we call idm exist but not in a pure enough form that we can say when (or if) it came to existence nor can it disappear or change into something else.

piz bro!

absolutely agree! what you've just explained i do with everything, whole my life, especially with music, trying to stay in balance within my 'left-right' brain as much as i can.

this is not a debate, just a few observations...

words are just poor abstractions of our 'real' perceptive experience, sometimes better sometimes worse, but we need a language to communicate. we also need those abstractions to be able to think more quickly and efficiently to overcome possible complexities in a stream of thoughts. that's why we usually 'think' partially with words, partially with pictures and feelings. simple thing like an ice-cream doesn't need words, of course, but also imo the less words we use in general in ours thinking process the better. some ppl are expressing them selfs more poetically (meaning = vivid expressiveness) then others in everyday life and i always thought that's the step closer to the 'reversed pure perception' (exists only in conversation) cause they are closer in perceiving the reality 'completely' and transfer it to others via language (like great poets = balanced 'left-right' brain) (visual artists need mostly the 'right' brain). composers have different things on their minds cause music (great, pro-life music) is more fundamental then poetry (poetry is the closest to music btw, prose is farthest excepts of architecture which can be seen as an opposite of music) or visual arts cause music is transferring 'forces' of/withing reality in the direct consumable form not 'meanings' nor phenomenon/appearance of parts within reality. by 'forces' i mean every possible set of rules (ideas?) within reality (in our minds too) that supports our life and spiritual growth, our fulfillment as human beings. (what is the fulfillment? can we know/cognize it? is the knowledge innate?)

imo that's why composers which understood this the most are the ones that had gone the farthest (bach, beethoven). heh...they also had the abilities to make it :p

see why something like idm is so stupid to me? what are we even doing with our music? maybe i'm totally off with these quasi-philosophical bullshit views but those the only one i have atm. i'd like you or anybody else to add or change those views cause i'd wonna to be closer to the truth and i have nobody else i can speak about this. so lonely, so lonely... :sad::cerious:

i could probably say much more, or go more deeply but my biggest problem is the language barrier. also tl;dr is what i'm trying to avoid.

back to idm... i agree that the common denominator we call idm exist but not in a pure enough form that we can say when (or if) it came to existence nor can it disappear or change into something else.

piz bro!

The spoken and written word has caused innumerable people to argue and even feel hatred towards another, even when a group might actually know that they generally agree with each other. Differences in opinion will always exist, so that's fine. But there is so much trouble with the seeming-beauty of language, that stems from an over-intellectualizing of base emotions which don't benefit from being able to be viewed from thousands of angles. The aforementioned "arguing with same opinion, different words" scenario, brings to light the massive problem of words themselves being perceived as truth (as opposed to simply representing emotional concepts). Because of this, people who speak broken English with strong accents (for example), are perceived as inferior communicators. The bullshit concept of idealized language is so strongly ingrained in the masses, that when a native speaker communicates with another who speaks a "broken and accented" tongue, there is a feeling/idea of superior-communication left in the native speaker; a feeling/idea of inferior-communication left in the non-native speaker. But in such a scenario, with willingness to communicate- when the actual words used by both are taken out of the equation- what we're left with is two humans who've COMMUNICATED FULLY. "Naw, man- that's just the gist." Well- "the gist" is what is most deep, real, and important. There is no practical instance where one would make small talk with another who doesn't speak the same language or does, by immediately busting out a detailed explanation of their revisions to string theory paradigm and how that correlates specifically to Hungarian politics when cross-referenced with the typos in their Linux manual. True language is simple, but the modern word has the masses believing that we're more emotionally complex than we are, causing tons of heart~word dissonance (and we get fucked on this, further, cuz word is taught more true than raw feeling and being). The technicality and supposed-righteousness and faith in the truth of the word has people believing that a non-native speaker's lack of speaking in a social context, would be due to a fundamental inability to communicate, due to inferior language capability. But the only thing separating one from verbally/bodily communicating with another, is confidence to communicate. Language idealization has programmed shame and embarrassment as a result of not following the ideal language path, but as can be seen from highly sociable people who don't care that they can't speak a language worth shit-- willingness to communicate, results in communication.

The faith in a truth to the spoken and written word, has given the illusion that humans are complex or "smarter than other animals", but the idealized word has actually made a fool of humanity. A modern parent to their toddler: "No, sweetie-- it's 'apple', NOT 'awpu'" Well, you know what...? Parents who've been brainwashed into believing that idealization of the word is truth... and spreading the lie...-- Are you mentally retarded? You know damn well what the fuck your toddler is talking about, which is why you knew he meant "apple". If you know what he means, then his communication job is done. But too bad you've been made a fucking fool, trying to convert emotions and communication into another medium for no fucking reason, and your loving child, there, sincerely communicating with all his being to you about some apple thing, and your main concern in this situation is to skew his tongue to appeal to a contrived image; little did you realize, his communication skills were so good, that you already knew what he meant before you could verbalize how to correct him. Imagine how much time could be saved- how much MORE we could experience DEEPLY, without the burden of having to support the lies of the idealized word.....

So many descriptors, we are forgetting that emotion is true being. We believe in the promise, when we should believe in the action. We believe in the power and truth of the word so faithfully, that humanity has allowed itself to physically act in ways which the heart does not want; but a piece of paper commands, supported by a minority. And then we use such papers full of these- beyond emotion, 100% truth-bearing words- to kill our fellow humans, to make claim to that which cannot be claimed, to protect that which should be destroyed-- to live in a human body but with a twisted sense of humanity and self.

The word has skewed humanity to some fucked up shit. The only purpose recording word would have, would be to perpetuate a character or ideals of a character who is no longer around-- i.e. a kind of workaround to cheating death. Of course, this is directly related to perpetuating a timeless ego, so it's natural something born from the deepest depths of insecurity, would result in a twisted nature if humanity were based on that invention. Some might argue that word spreads knowledge, help, etc. (invention of printing press, ooooh- right?), but whilst fanciful ideas and flourishes to character might be acquired through the written/spoken word- in all walks of life- the bulk of the most significant aspects of one's character and beliefs, are built through emotive living, walking the path of life itself; primarily interacting with friends and extended family. Without word, anything truly worth passing on, is spread by those who learnt something by living the life, directly; spread by means of being a living example. Being a living example is the most direct way to spread values, because living itself is one of the original and true forms of communication. Words of intended-good have been used to kill many, because they were interpreted by people who didn't have the same life experiences or belief system.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaanyway..... We have all this shit written in the world, telling us something to believe, and we have lost much human depth as a result, for no happiness gain. Even my rant is that-- a prime example of working within a system, with a desire to destroy it! Yay! Irony! Overall, I'm just saying "apple" is "awpu". Music, is also just music-- the wonder that is emotion encoded into sound. It is magic. Visual art is also a form of direct emotion communication magic. If you are a composer, you can translate your emotion of your true love into sound, for others to experience the joy. This takes no formal training to experience, because music is one of the original true forms of communication. If you are a painter/sculptor, you can spread the impetus of the raw emotion that you feel for your true love, by painting/sculpting her. This also takes no formal training to experience, because this is immediate decoding of encoded visual-physicality in a medium (vast oceans can be depicted on a wall)-- again, one of the original true forms of communication. ...You want others to experience your written depiction of your true love? Okay- well anyone who wants to properly read your romantic text has to study the ins and outs of countless rules and intricacies of the chosen language for 15~25 years, to even start to get an appreciation of your depiction cuz you wrote some bomb shit. Stepping back for a sec-- it becomes ridiculously apparent that such a complicated system is so artificial and serves no real happiness benefit. The word has continued to exist, only to support those who own the right words, on the right pieces of paper. And these people can use other words on other papers, to literally command a weakened human into doing anything. Through the ages, the masses of selfish, greed-driven forces have shifted back and forth in controlling various world resources in order to build empires to mask their insecurities and sadness. Land, tea, opium, dyes, spices, people, oil, metals, jewels, water, electricity, communication, entertainment, armies-- whatever. Those aren't shit. For the ones who attain credentials of sufficient "legal words" that state that they own all of the above, they immediately do. Humanity got fucked big time, under the guise of glitter. The word as we know it, is a contrived and bullshit form of idealized communication, which has made a fool of humanity. Granted, no form of communication is going to be wholly accurate in conveying a vibe-- but we've forgotten the point, that such is not possible OR necessary. Such accuracy ideals, are born from the same technical darkness that invented the idealized word.

So how would've humanity progressed without the written or spoken word? Besides the combination of eye-contact communication, body-flow, and raw grunts/tones..... Telepathy.

Archived