BEEF BOURGUIGNON, IDIOT STYLE

1 onion, diced

4 cloves garlic, finely chopped

2 big carrots, diced

2 big celery, diced

4 shallots, diced

1/2 bottle really shitty red wine

1 packet bacon, as fatty as you can get

1 kilo shitty beef (ask your butcher for shitty beef, diced)

12 mushrooms, quartered

3 tablespoons herbs de provence

salt and pepper to season

fry onion, garlic, carrot, celery, shallots, bacon, and beef until beef is browned

transfer to a slow cooker

add mushrooms, herbs, salt, pepper, and red wine

(you can add a pint of stock too, if you care)

cook for about six hours.

Roasted Sweet Potatoes

3 Sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into bite size cubes
2 tsp olive oil
1 tbsp butter
1 tbsp of brown sugar (organic)
1 tsp of ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp of ground nutmeg
Pinch of ground ginger
Sea salt, to taste

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Coat a small baking dish with cooking spray.
Peel and dice the sweet potatoes into bite size cubes and place in the baking dish.
Melt butter in the microwave and pour over the potatoes along with the olive oil, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and salt.
Add more sugar or cinnamon if desired.
Toss to coat evenly.
Bake in the oven for 60 minutes

Stir the sweet potatoes once or twice during roasting.

Join us here for more recipes, tips and motivation>>
Simply The Best You...Healthy and Happy

Jwsczij.jpg

My version:

- No Sugar (fuck sugar)

- Almond or Avocado Oil instead of Olive Oil. I've been told heating Olive Oil is not good for you.

Edited by AdieuErsatzEnnui

Dudes.

I have a really great, super quick AND SUPER SIMPLE salmon recipe.

I've made this 3 times now and it's always been fantastic.

The one catch is YOU NEED A PAN THAT CAN COOK BOTH ON THE STOVETOP AND IN THE BROILER. If you can do that, then you can cook a lovely piece of fish to perfection and give it a very special flare with a very minimal sauce that acts more like a dressing. Check this shit.

Firstly, you'll need a good cut of salmon (de-boned). I have prepared this for both 2 and 3 people and can tell you that a half-pound per serving is a good ballpark to be in. THE CUT OF SALMON NEEDS TO HAVE THE SKIN ON!

So here are the other ingredients you'll need:

2 Tablespoon of SESAME OIL

2Tablespoon of VEGETABLE OIL

1 Tablespoon of SOY SAUCE

(OPTIONAL) Teaspoon of MAPLE SYRUP

Garnish of CILANTRO

Garnish of LEMON (Wedges)

SALT

PEPPER

Here's what you do (it's very easy, but it all happens very fast, so make sure your prep is organized)...

- Preheat Broiler. If you don't have a broiler, top rack of oven should be ok. I think 350 should be ok.

- heat OVEN SAFE PAN on stovetop (on HIGH HEAT. Also, make sure you have your oven fan on and your windows open. It'll get a bit smoky).

- lightly sprinkle salt and pepper on fish

- when pan is good and hot, toss a bit of sesame oil in, a teaspoon should be fine, just enough to grease the pan.

- then put the salmon in the pan SKIN SIDE DOWN.

- let that cook in the pan undisturbed for roughly 5-6 minutes or until it looks like the fish has cooked halfway through from the bottom (Do not flip. The skin on the bottom is getting charred, but that is supposed to happen). Then take the pan off the stove and put it in the oven for 3 minutes or until the top browns slightly. You can check the center of the fish, if it isn't cooked through, you can always toss it back for another minute. It won't need much.

- as this is going on, you can make your drizzle. heat the sesame oil and vegetable oil in a small saucepan. After it heats, toss in the soy sauce (and the maple syrup, if you like a sweeter salmon). Stir lightly until mixed. Keep on low heat.

When fish is done, simply drizzle your sauce on top and garnish with cilantro. Lemon on the side.

You'll also find that when you serve the fish, it will separate cleanly from the skin that has been well-charred. If you like, you can nibble on the leftover skin, but it is better something to give to your pets.

It should be cooked perfectly, like you'd get in a restaurant. You'll be amazed if your like me and have routinely fucked up a good piece if fish every time you've ever cooked it.

I also like serving this with a side of rice and maybe some sautéed kale. Good eating fo sho.

Edited by J3FF3R00

heating olive oil is not good for you? fuck that.

Well, I don't know if you know this but most olive oil sold at the grocery is not actually olive oil, and a lot of it is allowed to spoil as well. (before being bottled) Secondly, consuming PUFA's (poly-unsaturated fatty acid) that have been allowed to oxidize (cooked at high heat) is not good for you. I think actual pure olive oil is safer, because it is something like 8% PUFA, but like I said before, you aren't using real olive oil most likely. (like a 70% chance you aren't unless you are very discerning consumer) So, some good alternatives are almond and avocado. Coconut oil is one of the best for cooking because it has a very low PUFA content. (like 2%) Putting oxidized meats and fats into you body is bad for you because it causes lots of free radicals and cancer and shit. A good way to combat this when consuming cooked meat is to take some vitamin C beforehand. It is anti-oxidant and will help fight those cancer causing elements.

Or you could just use grassfed butter all the time for cooking.

Here is some reference.

http://www.kumc.edu/school-of-medicine/integrative-medicine/health-topics/healthy-cooking-oils.html

http://butterbeliever.com/what-is-pufa/

Edited by AdieuErsatzEnnui

roasted sweet potato is so intensely sweet.. that original recipe is crazy (and microwaving the butter is pretty pointless)

..lazy sweet potato chips/fries..

par-boil (or microwave for 5 mins depending on size) whole sweet potatoes

rinse under cold water, peel and chip

season

decent amount of oil in a wok, high heat

lightly squish a clove of garlic, chuck it in the oil with the potatoes

make crispy

turn down heat

chuck in a sprig of rosemary and some cumin

season again

put chips on kitchen roll

squeeze lemon juice over it

serve with sausages, or whatever

roasted sweet potato is so intensely sweet.. that original recipe is crazy (and microwaving the butter is pretty pointless)

..lazy sweet potato chips/fries..

par-boil (or microwave for 5 mins depending on size) whole sweet potatoes

rinse under cold water, peel and chip

season

decent amount of oil in a wok, high heat

lightly squish a clove of garlic, chuck it in the oil with the potatoes

make crispy

turn down heat

chuck in a sprig of rosemary and some cumin

season again

put chips on kitchen roll

squeeze lemon juice over it

serve with sausages, or whatever

Yeah dude after eating it I definitely agree. It tastes like a dessert. No sugar necessary imo.

recently lost my job and have no money. i'll post the random 50p per serving bullshit i make to survive

onions, garlic and bay leaf in pan

add brown chickpeas, cumin, paprika, cinnamon, sriracha

tin of tomatoes, half cup of very strong coffee because i'm doing an all nighter and cooking at 6 am, plus it will taste better

potato mash so solids sit at bottom

layer half cup of rinsed rice on top

couple of broken cardamom pods

heat down lid on for 15 mins

oregano

lemon juice

honey

not terrible, wish there was potatoes in it.. and some other stuff.. maybe meat.. would be better tomorrow but eaten it

Edited by tauboo

Not really a recipe, but: if you're going to be cooking steak or chicken, and you're a noob/don't want to do anything elaborate, marinate that shit for like 10 minutes. You can do it while you're boiling your potatoes or whatever. Put it in a Tupperware with:

olive oil (enough to liberally coat the bottom of the tupperware, plus some extra)

soy sauce (maybe 5-10% as much as the olive oil)

salt & pepper

spicy stuff if it's chicken

Then just shake it all up in the tupperware and let it sit. You can flip it if you feel like being a God damned hero. The longer you do it the better it will get, but 10 minutes is enough to make a serious difference.

Well, I don't know if you know this but most olive oil sold at the grocery is not actually olive oil, and a lot of it is allowed to spoil as well. (before being bottled) Secondly, consuming PUFA's (poly-unsaturated fatty acid) that have been allowed to oxidize (cooked at high heat) is not good for you. I think actual pure olive oil is safer, because it is something like 8% PUFA, but like I said before, you aren't using real olive oil most likely. (like a 70% chance you aren't unless you are very discerning consumer) So, some good alternatives are almond and avocado. Coconut oil is one of the best for cooking because it has a very low PUFA content. (like 2%) Putting oxidized meats and fats into you body is bad for you because it causes lots of free radicals and cancer and shit. A good way to combat this when consuming cooked meat is to take some vitamin C beforehand. It is anti-oxidant and will help fight those cancer causing elements.

Here is some reference.

http://www.kumc.edu/school-of-medicine/integrative-medicine/health-topics/healthy-cooking-oils.html

heating olive oil is fine, burning it isn't so good. decent extra virgin olive oil has a higher smoking point than low quality stuff. those other oils you mention have a higher smoking point so you're less likely to burn them. basically don't burn your food and you don't need to worry too much.

Here is some reference.

heating olive oil is fine, burning it isn't so good. decent extra virgin olive oil has a higher smoking point than low quality stuff. those other oils you mention have a higher smoking point so you're less likely to burn them. basically don't burn your food and you don't need to worry too much.

I imagine most people burn their olive oil though. Anything above medium will most likely cause it to smoke (at least on my burner). It is also pretty hard to cook any type of meat without burning unless you do it on lower heat and for longer a period of time. Most people don't have the patience or see the necessity for it.

Here is some reference.

I imagine most people burn their olive oil though. Anything above medium will most likely cause it to smoke (at least on my burner). It is also pretty hard to cook any type of meat without burning unless you do it on lower heat and for longer a period of time. Most people don't have the patience or see the necessity for it.

well i don't concern myself with all this alarmist stuff anyway. i like to cook a steak high and fast so there's good charring colour outside and juicy red flesh inside. no oil in the pan at all, just a light rub on the steak before seasoning.

This is something I've been cooking recently, in an attempt to reduce my spending on food (and survive without eating too much meat). It's super bare but tasty as FUCK; and can be re-purposed to a pretty awesome pasta/rice dish.

MODEY'S SUPER CHEAP RIDICULOUS BEAN BURRITO MIX

serves 1

ingredients:

1/4 can four bean mix

1/4 can corn kernels

1/4 can lentils

various spices. I use cumin, thyme, paprika and a tiny bit of cinnamon to taste.

approx. 1tsp sriracha OR decent sized fresh chilli, cut to your preference (I like to enforce perfect 2mm cubes of a crisp serrano pepper, or even one of those sweet-ish baby bell peppers)

1/3 to 1/2 an onion (red onion is nice for this)

1x garlic clove

1 tbsp pesto (I use an awesome chilli pesto, it's fucking great) and/or 1/4 can crushed tomatoes

cheddar cheese, grated (optional)

tortillas/rice/pasta as media for mixture (it's a bit intense on its own)

.: Fry the fuck out of the onion/garlic in about 1tbsp of olive oil, adding corn just before the onion is done. If you have fresh chilli, add it with the corn.

.: Add beans and lentils, let them heat up a little then mix in the pesto/tomatoes. If you're using sriracha, give it a squirt at this point.

.:

I made this, cos I had the ingredients in my pantry, and it came out lush.

Thanks!

This is something I've been cooking recently, in an attempt to reduce my spending on food (and survive without eating too much meat). It's super bare but tasty as FUCK; and can be re-purposed to a pretty awesome pasta/rice dish.

MODEY'S SUPER CHEAP RIDICULOUS BEAN BURRITO MIX

serves 1

ingredients:

1/4 can four bean mix

1/4 can corn kernels

1/4 can lentils

various spices. I use cumin, thyme, paprika and a tiny bit of cinnamon to taste.

approx. 1tsp sriracha OR decent sized fresh chilli, cut to your preference (I like to enforce perfect 2mm cubes of a crisp serrano pepper, or even one of those sweet-ish baby bell peppers)

1/3 to 1/2 an onion (red onion is nice for this)

1x garlic clove

1 tbsp pesto (I use an awesome chilli pesto, it's fucking great) and/or 1/4 can crushed tomatoes

cheddar cheese, grated (optional)

tortillas/rice/pasta as media for mixture (it's a bit intense on its own)

.: Fry the fuck out of the onion/garlic in about 1tbsp of olive oil, adding corn just before the onion is done. If you have fresh chilli, add it with the corn.

.: Add beans and lentils, let them heat up a little then mix in the pesto/tomatoes. If you're using sriracha, give it a squirt at this point.

.:

I made this, cos I had the ingredients in my pantry, and it came out lush.

Thanks!

Oh nice, glad you like it! I've been eating it a lot lately. I don't ever seem to get sick of it either, because I keep changing the recipe slightly every time I make it.

Here is some reference.

well i don't concern myself with all this alarmist stuff anyway. i like to cook a steak high and fast so there's good charring colour outside and juicy red flesh inside. no oil in the pan at all, just a light rub on the steak before seasoning.

Supposedly, taking a dose of Vitamin C before you eat it will counter act the negative effects of the oxidation and charring in your body. Just a thought.

I've recently been making vegan pearl barley risotto, and serving it with a handful of chopped chorizo.

Sweat half a large white onion with four cloves of garlic (I like garlic). Meanwhile, bring about 250grams of pearl barley to the boil, rinse in cold water and put aside.

Add a splash of sake to the onions, add the pearl barley and cover with vegetable stock.

Simmer for about 30mins, topping up with water as it reduces. Add in blanched veggies - I used okra, asparagus, sweetcorn and pak choi - and about 100ml of fresh soy cream.

Let it blend a bit and then season, adding any herbs you might want - I added fresh, chopped coriander.

Serve straight away or reheat with slices of chorizo. The oil from cooked chorizo is pretty full on though. It's pretty good by itself.

I'm not sure why it's satisfying preparing strictly vegan food and then throwing meat/dairy into the equation, but it is.

Edited by Sprillian

Not too exciting but did an upside down pineapple cake yesterday and I highly recommend it:

DSC_0081_zpsb8462f5b.jpg

For the topping
  • 50g softened butter
  • 50g light soft brown sugar
  • 7 pineapples rings in syrup, drained and syrup
  • glacé cherry
For the cake
  • 100g softened butter
  • 100g golden caster sugar
  • 100g self-raising flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 2 eggs
  • Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. For the topping, beat the butter and sugar together until creamy. Spread over the base and a quarter of the way up the sides of a 20-21cm round cake tin. Arrange pineapple rings on top, then place cherries in the centres of the rings.
  • Place the cake ingredients in a bowl along with 2 tbsp of the pineapple syrup and, using an electric whisk, beat to a soft consistency. Spoon into the tin on top of the pineapple and smooth it out so it’s level. Bake for 35 mins. Leave to stand for 5 mins, then turn out onto a plate. Serve warm with a scoop of ice cream.