kaini

how the hell did this thread fall by the wayside?

Anyway, here are my carnitas / slow cooked pork tacos:

WHAT YOU WILL NEED

- Slow cooker

- Mortar & Pestle

Pork:

- Pork hunk (shoulder?)

- 2 white onions

- 4 garlic cloves

- 4 large dried chilies (I've used mulatos)

- 4 bay leaves

- orange

- lime

- 2 tbsp paprika

- 1 tbsp oregano

- 2 tbsp cumin seeds

- 1 tbsp coriander seeds

- salt

- pepper

- olive oil

Guacamole:

- 2 avocados

- half cup cream (thickened if you want)

- lemon juice, just a squeeze

Salsa:

- 4 tomatoes

- 2 large dried chillies

- 1 habanero chilli

- red wine vinegar

- caster sugar

- half cup of water

- half red onion

- lime

PREPARE THE MEAT

1. Trim off most of the fat

2. Cover liberally with salt, pepper, oregano, and olive oil

NvXQDVd.jpg

3. Roughly chop the white onions and throw half in slow cooker

4. Put meat in slow cooker

5. Crush up cumin seeds and coriander seeds in mortal & pestle

6. Crush the garlic and bay leaves with the paprika in the mortar & pestle

cFL7Wf2.jpg

7. Throw remaining onion on top of pork

8. Pour crushed garlic, bay leaves, paprika, cumin, and coriander on top

9. De-stem chillies, leaving the seeds in, and place over meat

10. Juice orange and half lime

0qOIzlM.jpg

11. Pour evenly over meat

ieVjJZX.jpg

12. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours

13. Take meat and other chunks out of slow cooker and into a large dish, pull apart using two forks

tGZG9rQ.jpg

14. Reserve cooking liquid

* LEAVE THIS STEP FOR JUST BEFORE SERVING *

15. Fry up meat over stove or BBQ, pouring reserved stock (mixed with a little vegetable oil) over meat as you go

MAKE CORN TORTILLAS

I've used maseca brand with a pinch of salt, but do what you feel

LIC5yUo.jpg

MAKE SALSA

1. Cut tomatoes in quarters, put onto a hot saucepan

2. Add water and leave to simmer until tomato skin is loose

3. Throw in dried chillies

4. Add a splash of the vinegar as well as sugar

5. Finely chop habanero chilli and throw in

ef7ZEN0.jpg

6. Pick out tomato skins and leave sauce to reduce until fairly thick, transfer to mortar & pestle

7. Mash to a pulpy mess

8. Add in juice of lime

9. Finely chop red onion and throw it in

xvJoIQ5.jpg

MAKE GUACAMOLE

1. Put avocados in mixing bowl

2. Add cream

3. Add squeeze of lemon

4. Mash away until smooth

oMJ4FkA.jpg

Remember to fry up that pork with the reserved stock

Serve with whatever, I've gone with chopped coriander, lettuce and lime wedges

HVufyw6.jpg

Edited by verticalhold

That looks fucking gorgeous. I'm definitely going to try the pork - I'll probably just buy the rest I reckon - though your salsa looks better than the stuff you get in jars.

You got old white bread that's completely dried up but not yet moldy? Try this.

You need:

Old dried bread

Olive oil

Garlic

Black pepper

Salt

Heat the oil in a pan. Put in some smashed up garlic and cook for some time. Add sliced dried bread and cook until soft. Add some black pepper and salt. Eat. Best with red wine.

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished my own attempt at this verticalhold. It was bloody lovely, really juicy tasty tender pork.

uryjezu7.jpg

ujasaza2.jpg

unybajus.jpg

I didn't have dried chillies so I used fresh ones, they didn't have much of a kick that still added to the dish. Also, couldn't find any guacamole so just used soured cream, which worked well. I used my electric slow cooker which was good because I just left it on and went out all day and came back to a lovely scran, as if by magic! Still got half of the pork and juices left so I'll finish it off tomorrow. Definitely making it again, cheers.

• 5 months later...

Steak and Ale Pie

I:
3 big onions, roughly chopped
chunk o fresh rosemary
chunk o fresh thyme
1/4 tsp smoked paprika
3 bay leaves

II:
1 kilo beef skirt
1 500ml bottle ale
1 pint beef stock
3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 small tin tomato puree
3 heaped tablespoons plain flour

III:
150g chestnut mushrooms, chopped
150g button mushrooms, chopped
2 carrots, diced

IV:
1 large block of puff pastry
100g of sharp cheddar
1 egg, whisked

fry I in a decent chunk of butter for 20 minutes
add II, bring to the boil
add III, reduce to simmer, liberally season with salt and pepper, and leave for 2 hours, uncovered
pour into a big pie dish
roll out IV and halve
roll out half until it fits the dish
top with sliced cheese
roll out the other half and lay on top
glaze with egg and bake for an hour

this is gooooood./

Edited by kaini

YUM YUM YUM YUM YUM~!

Here are some hi-tech recipes from my archives:

Flamin' Hot Cheetos and Egg Rice Bowl, circa 2010:

cheetos-rice.jpg

For the above, instructions are self-explanatory!

---

As with all great deli places..... names. Well, this one is the Planet Mu Special Edition Turbo, circa 2007:

me_sandwich.jpg

Bread type was not specified, but obviously rye goes best with EDO DIMM (actually, any capacity and voltage ok). If substituting with something more tart like DDR3 or PC133 SODIMM, prolly ciabatta or nan is better than rye.

I have quite a few original desert type recipes that I want to post, but the photos are on a different hard drive that cannot be accessed at the moment. I one day hope to share! ...mouth still watering from yumz pics in thread.

recently i made a roast pork loin marinaded in barbecue sriracha sauce, with creamy mash, and braised asian red cabbage. the red cabbage was definitely the unexpected star of the show, so here ya go:

1 tsp vegetable oil
3 star anise
2 cardamom pods

2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped/microplaned
thumb-sized piece of ginger, finely chopped/microplaned

75ml rice vinegar
50g sugar
2 tbsp soy sauce

1 head of red cabbage, cored and roughly chopped

2 spring onions, roughly chopped
1 tbsp sesame oil

smash the star anise and cardamom in a mortar and pestle and remove the cardamom shells
heat veg oil to near smoke point
fry star anise, cardamom, garlic and ginger until fragrant

add sugar, rice vinegar, and soy and bring just barely to the boil
add the red cabbage, reduce to a low simmer, and cover
braise for 30 minutes, stirring frequently
uncover and simmer for another 15 minutes to reduce the broth

stir in 2/3 of the spring onions and sesame oil to finish
serve, garnished with the last 1/3 of the spring onion

SO GOOD

Edited by kaini

• 2 weeks later...

"Girth of the Earth" Umami Ketchup

Ingredients:

- 1.5 kg tomatoes

- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar

- 1/2 cup of apple cider vinegar

- 2 tbsp salt

- 1 brown onion, finely chopped

- 1/2 cup tomato paste

- 2 tbsp olive oil

- 2 tbsp ground dried porcini

- 2 tbsp molasses

- 2 tbsp oyster sauce

- 1 tbsp soy sauce

- 1 tbsp worcestershire sauce

- 1 tsp ground cumin seeds

- 1 tsp marmite/vegemite

1. Line large saucepan with aluminium foil, bring to medium heat, and add whole tomatoes, turning gradually for 30mins until skin is blistered. Remove and leave to cool until skin can be safely discarded. Purée in blender.

2. Remove foil from pan and turn to high heat. Add all remaining ingredients from top section with puréed tomato and bring to an aggressive simmer. Reduce heat to medium and stir occasionally until reduced to a thick paste. Purée again and leave to cool in a sealed container in fridge.

3. Mix remaining ingredients in small bowl and combine with tomato mixture, adjust molasses/worcestershire/soy ratio to desired sweetness.

Serve wherever ketchup applies

Yucatecan Orange Pork

Ingredients:

- 2-3 kg Shoulder/Collarbutt of Pork

- 4 seville oranges

- 1 lime

- 3 tbsp vegetable oil

- 6 cloves of garlic, roughly chopped

- 4 brown onions, quartered

- 1 dried habanero

- 1 tsp (mexican) oregano

- 1/2 tsp ground cumin seeds

- 12 ground peppercorns

- 3 whole allspice

- 1 tbsp achiote seeds*
* if you can't find achiote seeds, you can use paprika

- 2 tbsp salt

1. Scatter onion in slow cooker. Place whole habanero in middle of slow cooker. Grind and mix all herbs, spices, and garlic and rub over pork, then put it into the slow cooker over onions.

2. Juice oranges and lime and pour over the pork. Sprinkle the vegetable oil around the dish. Turn slow cooker to low heat and cook covered for 5 hours.

3. Raise heat to high and cook uncovered for two more hours, allowing the juice to thicken

Serve straight from slow cooker or caramelize on barbecue with a little added vegetable oil

Chipotle Cream

Ingredients:

- 2 cups thickened cream, or 1 cup cooking cream for thickening

- 2 tbsp milk

- 1 tbsp lime juice

- 2 chipotle peppers

- 2 cloves of garlic

- 1 tsp oregano

- 1 tbsp dark brown sugar

1. Prepare cream and buttermilk. Combine milk with lime juice, allowing to sit for 5 minutes until clumpy. Stir in with thickened cream.

2. Put peppers in small saucepan and cover with water, simmer gently, adding garlic, oregano, and brown sugar. Once the peppers are plump and fleshly (~40mins), pour the mixture into a blender and blend until smooth - some flakes are ok. Set aside to cool

3. Mix in with cream. The flavour should be pretty mild but you can add a dash of salt and pepper if you want; the heat should creep up on you.

Serve on a soft bun with the pork

Just finished my own attempt at this verticalhold.

damn, I must've missed this. glad you liked it. I prefer my orange version now; I don't think I'll go back to the smoky version for a while

These are flippin' amazing!

SMOKE-ROASTED PEARS

6 large ripe pears, preferably with stems

1/2 lemon

1 8-ounce package cream cheese, at room temperature

3 tablespoons brown sugar

1 tablespoon candied ginger, chopped

1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest

1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg

1/2 teaspoon ground cloves

2 tablespoons Poire William eau de vie (Pear Brandy)

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/4 cup walnuts, toasted and coarsely chopped (optional, for serving)

You’ll also need:

1 lightly oiled aluminum foil pan large enough to hold the pears.

1 cup wood chips, preferably apple, pear, cherry, or maple - soaked for 1 hour in cold water to cover, then drained.

1 sturdy resealable plastic bag.

Cut a thin slice off the bottom (so the pear will stand upright) and remove 1 inch from the top.

Discard the bottom slices and set the tops aside.

Core the pears, using a melon baller.

Rub the cut sides with the lemon to prevent browning.

Squeeze a few drops of juice into the cavities.

Prepare the filling:

In a small mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese and brown sugar until fluffy. Stir in the ginger, lemon zest, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, eau de vie, and vanilla extract.

Spoon the cheese mixture to one corner of a resealable plastic bag, and snip about 1/2–inch off the corner.

Pipe the filling into the cavities in the pears. (Alternatively, you can use a small spoon to put the filling into the pears.)

Loosely place the pear caps on top. Arrange the pears in the lightly greased aluminum foil pan.

The recipe can be prepared up to this stage several hours ahead.

Set up the grill for indirect grilling and preheat to medium. If using a gas grill, place the wood chips in the smoker box or in a smoker pouch and preheat on high until you see smoke, then reduce the heat to medium.

When ready to cook, place the pan with the pears in the center of the hot grate, away from the heat.

If using a charcoal grill, toss the wood chips on the coals.

Cover the grill and smoke-roast the pears until nicely browned and soft on the sides, 40 minutes to 1 hour.

If desired, serve with vanilla or cinnamon ice cream and chopped walnuts.

• 2 weeks later...

SRIRACHA HONEY CHICKEN NUGGETS

a big bottle of sriracha

a small bottle of honey

a small bottle of dark soy sauce

4-5 slices of wholemeal bread

a thumb of ginger

2-3 chicken breasts

2 eggs

chop chicken into nuggets

marinade in 2 tbsps honey, 2 tbsps soy, sriracha to cover for 24 hours

blend bread, bake at 140C for 16 mins tossing every 4 mins

dip each nugget in egg, toss in bread

bake at 200C for 30 minutes on baking parchment

• 2 years later...

Sorry to revive such an old thread!

I was wondering if anyone had some suggestions for a hearty vegetarian dish? I have tried vegetarian dishes before and don't usually feel satisfied after eating.....(any of you know what I mean?_

I want to experiment having one vegetarian dinner per week and gradually up it to have a day or two a week where I don't eat meat. Can't see myself ever going full vegetarian but want to give it a bit of a shot.

I know we have some vegetarians on the board, thought this might be a good place to look.

Edited by Bulk VanderHooj

Sorry to revive such an old thread!

I was wondering if anyone had some suggestions for a hearty vegetarian dish? I have tried vegetarian dishes before and don't usually feel satisfied after eating.....(any of you know what I mean?_

I want to experiment having one vegetarian dinner per week and gradually up it to have a day or two a week where I don't eat meat. Can't see myself ever going full vegetarian but want to give it a bit of a shot.

I know we have some vegetarians on the board, thought this might be a good place to look.

can't beat a decent veg curry

http://i.imgur.com/hpMnPKj.gifv

i'd add some yellow mustard seed, cloves, black pepper, cardamom, and just a touch of cinnamon, nutmeg, and asafoetida (hing) to the spice mix at the start, and maybe sub the broccoli out for some baby potatoes, mixed beans, or butternut squash.

edit: and i'd use yoghurt instead of coconut cream.

Edited by kaini

mmmm! That sounds really good. I think the baby potatoes would be hearty enough to help me feel full too. I really like chick peas and they're high in protein so win win. 

I'm going to give it a shot (maybe Monday or Tuesday) with some basmati rice I think.

Kaini do you (or anyone for that matter) have a vegetarian cookbook you'd recommend? Might give me a starting point. There are thousands upon thousands of recipe books online but would be nice to have a recommendation on one!

:beer:

can't beat a decent veg curry

http://i.imgur.com/hpMnPKj.gifv

i'd add some yellow mustard seed, cloves, black pepper, cardamom, and just a touch of cinnamon, nutmeg, and asafoetida (hing) to the spice mix at the start, and maybe sub the broccoli out for some baby potatoes, mixed beans, or butternut squash.

edit: and i'd use yoghurt instead of coconut cream.

Asafoetida is usually added as a replacement for onion and/or garlic, so not sure there's much point adding that in (most people probably don't have it in their cupboard anyway). Also I wouldn't blitz the onions like that, you'll release a lot more of their sulfur that way adding a lot of bitterness to the dish (better to finely chop, more sulfur compounds stay in the onion bits and when they get fried they get neutralized far quicker). 1 tbsp salt seems a bit much as well, I usually put 1/2 tsp in when cooking then check for seasoning at the very end. otherwise looks very nice. It's a good base dish to have in your arsenal, can throw anything you want in, veg or meat, try different types of lentils as well.

Here's my Christmas dinner recipe, have cobbled together from various places over the years, adding my own little tweaks here and there.

It's served with roast spuds (cut into small-medium sized pieces (e.g. four for a large potato, cut as irregularly as possible, the more edges the better), par boil with 2 tsp salt for 5-10 mins until outer flesh starts to soften, shake about in the pan to crumble the spuds up, heat a load of goose or duck fat in the roasting tray, add 2 sprigs of chopped rosemary and a handful of crushed garlic cloves when the oil has heated up, then mix in the spuds), and roasted carrots/parsnips/sweet potatoes (chopped into strips and mixed with 2 tbsp red wine vinegar, salt + pepper before hand, then glazed with honey about 10-15 mins before they're finished cooking).

Christmas

Gravy pt. 1

Ingredients

·         2 Celery Sticks, roughly chopped

·         2 Red Onions, quartered

·         1 Bulb Garlic, smashed

·         2 Carrots, roughly chopped

·         5 Bay Leaves

·         5 Sage Leaves

·         4 Sprigs Rosemary

·         2 Star Anise

·         2 Rashers of Smoked Bacon

·         Peel of 1 Clementine, and 1 Lemon

·         8 Chicken Wings

·         30ml Olive Oil

Method

·         Preheat oven to 200c. Put veg, herbs and star anise into a sturdy bottomed roasting tray. Scatter over the bacon. Break the chicken wings open, then put them on a board and bash them with a rolling pin; this will release more flavour. Put them in the pan, drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle over a few pinches of salt and pepper then toss it all and put the tray in the oven to cook for 1 hour, or till the meat is tender and falling off the bone.

·         Take the pan out of the oven, put it on a hob over a low heat and use a potato masher to really grind everything up. Keep mashing and scraping all the goodness from the bottom of the pan. The longer you let everything fry, the darker your gravy will be. Pour in 2 litres of hot water, turn the heat up and bring to the boil for 10 minutes, then turn down the heat and simmer for about 25 minutes, stirring occasionally. 

·         When it’s reached the consistency you want, check the seasoning, and then strain it through a sieve into a bowl. Really push everything down to get all the flavour. Discard anything left behind. Once it’s cooled to room temperature put it into containers or freezer bags and pop it in your freezer. You’ll finish it off on Christmas day.

Gravy pt. 2

Ingredients

·         Turkey giblets

·         1 Onion, diced

·         1 Carrot, diced

·         2 Bay Leaves

·         4 Sage Leaves

·         1 Sprig Rosemary

Method

·         Fry the onion and carrot in a small amount of olive oil for 5 mins. Cut into neck in several places and bash, to release flavour while cooking, fry for 2-3 mins until browned, add remaining giblets and fry for a few more minutes.

·         Add herbs and 1 litre of boiling water, bring to boil and then simmer for 1 hour, let the liquid reduce by half, but top up with water if the level gets below this.

·         Cool down and refrigerate/freeze until Christmas day.

Turkey

Ingredients

·         250g Unsalted Butter

·         75g dried cranberries, finely chopped

·         4 sprigs Rosemary, leaves picked

·         2 sprigs Thyme, leaves picked

·         8-10 Sage leaves

·         1 Lemon

·         1 Clementine

·         18-20lb (8-9kg) Turkey

·         2 Clementines

·         2 Bay Leaves

·         2 Sprigs Rosemary

·         2 Sprigs Thyme

Method

·         Put the butter into a bowl and add the chopped cranberries. Chop, sweep and run your knife through the herb leaves until really finely chopped then add to the butter with a pinch of salt and pepper, and the finely grated zest of your clementine and lemon. Mix so the butter softens and everything is combined. Divide the butter roughly in half.

·         Get your turkey and use a spoon to work your way between the skin and the meat. Start at the side of the cavity just above the leg and work gently up towards the breastbone and towards the back so you create a large cavity. Pick up half of your butter and push it into the cavity you've created. Use your hands to push it through the skin right to the back so it coats the breast meat as evenly as possible. Do the same on the other side then rub any leftover butter all over the outside of the bird to use it up. If you've got any herb stalks left over, put them in the cavity of the turkey for added flavour as it cooks. Cover the turkey in cling film and keep in the fridge until you need it.

·         Take your turkey out of the fridge a few hours before you are ready to put it in the oven so it has time to come up to room temperature. That flavoured butter will already be under the skin so you'll only need a few tweaks to finish it off. Halve 2 to 4 clementines and pop them in the cavity with a few more sprigs of fresh herbs like rosemary, bay and thyme. The fruit will steam and flavour the birds in a really lovely way. Take a sprig of fresh rosemary, pull off the leaves at the bottom then spear that through the loose skin around the cavity to hold it together and keep it from shrinking back as the turkey cooks.

·         Preheat your oven to full whack. Put the bird in the roasting tray, cover with foil. As soon as it goes in the oven, immediately turn the heat down to 180ºC.

·         As a rough guide, you want to cook the turkey for about 35 to 40 minutes per kilogram, so a 7kg turkey will want about 4 to 4½ hours in the oven. But there are so many variables such as the sort of oven you have and the quality of your bird. Check on your turkey every 30 minutes or so and keep it from drying out by basting it with the lovely juices from the bottom of the pan. After 3½ hours, remove the foil so the skin gets golden and crispy. If you are at all worried just stick a meat thermometer in the thickest part of the breast. When the internal temperature has reached 65ºC for a good quality bird, and about 82ºC for a cheaper bird, it's ready to come out.

·         Carefully put a metal skewer in the cavity and use it to lift the bird and angle it over the roasting tray so all the juices from the cavity run out. Move the turkey to a platter then cover it with a double layer of tinfoil and 2 tea towels to keep it warm while it rests for at least 30 minutes. Reserve all the cooking juices, but separate out most of the fat (the fat can be used when making the stuffing).

Stuffing

Ingredients

·         Breadcrumbs

·         1 large Red Onion

·         12 Sage leaves

·         Large handful of flat leafed parsley

·         4-5 sprigs of Thyme

·         Zest of 1 lemon and 1 clementine

·         Half a nutmeg, grated

·         Olive Oil / Turkey Fat

Method

·         Finely chop the onion and the sage and other herbs. Fry the onion for 5 mins on a high heat until it starts to brown, add the herbs and fry for another minute or two.

·         Combine the onions with the breadcrumbs, citrus zest, and nutmeg in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper.

·         After the turkey has finished cooking, combine the mixture with enough olive oil and turkey fat to make a moist crumb that sticks together in clumps, cook for 15 mins in a shallow baking dish covered in foil, uncover for the final 10 mins, mixing around once or twice so everything gets nice and crispy.

Gravy pt. 3

Ingredients

·         500ml Gravy pt. 1

·         250ml Gravy pt. 2

·         ½ Juices from cooked Turkey, with most of the fat removed.

·         2 tbsp. Cranberry Sauce

·         2 tbsp. Flour

·         75g Unsalted Butter

Method

·         Melt the butter in a pot at a high heat, and fry the flour, reducing the heat to low, stirring constantly to prevent from burning, keep cooking until the roux starts to turn a deep brown (may take up to 15-20 mins, this can be done the night before and set aside, can double or quadruple the amounts and reserve for the following night's gravy as well if needed).

·         Add the two gravy stocks and turkey juices (half of what was prepared earlier) and bring to the boil, stirring to remove any lumps. Add the cranberry sauce and simmer for 10-15 mins, stirring regularly.

·         Strain gravy and keep on a very low heat until ready to serve.

Brussels Sprouts

Ingredients

·         500g Brussels Sprouts

·         Olive Oil

·         Large knob of Unsalted Butter

·         4 Smoked, Streaky Bacon Rashers, Finely Sliced

·         2 Sage Sprigs, leaves picked

·         2 tbsp. Worcestershire Sauce

·         2 garlic cloves, finely grated

Method

·         Push the sprouts through the fine slicing attachment of a food processor, then fill the bowl with water.

·         Add a good drizzle of olive oil and the butter to a large pan over a medium heat.  Add the bacon, sage and a pinch
of salt and pepper and cook for 5-10 minutes, or until lovely and crisp.

·         Drain the sprouts, add to the pan and turn the heat up – it doesn’t matter if they’re still a bit wet, that will help them steam. Fry for 10 minutes or till soft. Add a splash of water if needed.

·         Add the Worcestershire sauce, toss it all together then turn the heat off. Add the garlic – you really want that hum of raw garlic – then give it another good stir and serve straight away.

Ham

Ingredients

·         1 boneless gammon joint (non-smoked, overpowers the spices), about 2kg

·         3 tbsp molasses or black treacle

·         1 tsp cloves

·         Pinch of mace

·         1 bay leaf

·         1 tsp allspice berries

·         1 tbsp black peppercorns

·         Peel of ½ an orange, cut into thin strips

·         Handful of cloves

For the glaze:

·         5 tbsp dark brown sugar, plus extra to sprinkle

·         1½ tbsp mustard powder

·         Finely grated zest of ½ orange

·         20ml ginger wine

Method

·         Put the ham in a large stock pot, and cover with cold water. Add the molasses, spices and orange peel and bring slowly to a simmer, skimming off any scum. Simmer very gently for about an hour and a half, until the internal temperature of the ham reaches 68C.

·         Heat the oven to 220C. Lift the ham out of the liquid, allow to cool slightly, then carefully cut off the skin, leaving as much fat beneath as possible. Score this in a diamond pattern, and stud the intersections with cloves. Put the ham in a foil-lined roasting tray.

·         Mix together the glaze ingredients into a thick paste, and brush this all over the fat. Put into the hot oven for about 25 minutes, basting twice during this time, and adding a sprinkle more sugar as you go, until the glaze is caramelised and bubbling. Allow to cool completely before serving.