IGNORED

traditional music

Guest zaphod

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

having an Irish mother meant The Chieftains, The Dubliners &particularly Luke Kelly were all venerated growing up

various versions of The Raggle Taggle Gypsy, On Raglan Road, The Old Triangle, The Fields of Athenry,,,, old ballads & republican rebel songs mostly

if enough whiskey had gone down The Raggle Taggle Gypsy was always cranked out, especially 1 slow mournful Christy Moore take on that classic that i'd have to bell me Ma to find out which release its off

Kink Gong has put out some incredible field recordings from Asia, whole villages caught in communal song and you can hear fires crackling, people talking & dogs howling in the backgrounds. Scloud is here:

https://soundcloud.com/kinkgong

• 1 month later...

^The Bali track is lovely, but the arrangement strikes me as more of a modern version of a traditional tune. I have literally no facts to base that on, just seems a touch too clean/contemporary. Again, it's lovely so who cares.

Also this: https://youtu.be/vRGzZnX99i0

never listened to the entire recording, but I've had an mp3 of the first 'track' (~first 5 mins) that I've loved for years, it's absolutely haunting. Need to listen to more of it.

Toumani is great. im surprised anyone at watmm knows him

This song is very emotional

Im in love with Toumani diabate and ive been listening a lot lately.

this is going beyond traditional music, hes damn good instrumentalist and soloist.

My favorite album from him is the mande variations.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

this THAI song from only god forgives...

there's infinite versions of the song:

also from Thailand i think: [Thailand hummmm? Do they make good ties there, can't remember where this quote come from, maybe bob's burgers...]

this is from colombia, pretty cool too:

huayno  from Peru:

This is Funana from Cabo Verde, watmm should check out everything that analog africa is putting out:

Archived