IGNORED

Exai cover is a crime

lumpenprol

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As for the design I really think we should wait for the proper physical versions to come out ! The main front cover is kind of..."plain" but the inner packs look colorful and it might suit the music better imo.

As for the design I really think we should wait for the proper physical versions to come out ! The main front cover is kind of..."plain" but the inner packs look colorful and it might suit the music better imo.

this

agreed. TDR designed covers always shine in the resulting physical product - the details and print quality. I've never been unhappy with their physical output.

Even just as jpg, I quite like the design. The color choice and digital-ness of the design make it feel sharp yet obscure, which I find very fitting to the music.

tl;dr I love ae+tdr album art

abstract art seems kind of fitting for autechre, perhaps the covers represent microcosms of an infinite bigger picture (of your choice), represented in a flicker of the eye, or real life pixel of something or other.....lol.

I know what I mean, but I ran out of steam....

I seriously doubt the boys have no say in it.

Yeah would be surprising but I remember reading an interview with the artist who did the Oversteps one and it seemed like he developed the concept, made it and gave it to AE without any mention of their input on the matter.

I believe that Ian Anderson (he basically is tDR), has had a good professional relationship with Autechre for many years now, so there is bound to be a lot of trust between each other in this kind of medium.

At least, that's what I'd have thought. If Autechre weren't happy with the artwork, I'm very certain they'd be vocal about it and action changes.

Without their input maybe, but do you think a cover could go out against their will? I mean, if they didn't like it I think that artist would have to go back the the drawing board so to speak

Without their input maybe, but do you think a cover could go out against their will? I mean, if they didn't like it I think that artist would have to go back the the drawing board so to speak

Yeah most definitely. Has AE always had their artwork done by others? Richard/AFX has done a few himself right? I care because you do, druqks?

that's my point, if Autechre didn't like a certain piece of artwork, I'm sure they would say "do it again, but better". Or maybe their professional and friendly relationship with Ian is so close that he has carte blanche to interpret the visual iconography for an album, and they're ok with it?

In either case, it's a concious decision by the band to say 'yes'

Yeah most definitely. Has AE always had their artwork done by others? Richard/AFX has done a few himself right? I care because you do, druqks?

I believe they designed EP7 themselves

I'm sure if Autechre demanded to do the art themselves, Warp would let them.

I don't believe it's down to Warp who does the artwork...

Here's an interview with Ian Anderson on Oversteps:
http://200-percent-blog.blogspot.com/2010/12/ian-anderson-part-i.html

Ian Anderson: Yes, they had to understand what I was doing, and be ok with
it. Over the years we have developed an understanding, and they know
that I'll probably get closer to that which they aspire if they don't
tell me what they want. Of course we discuss their work, and where their
heads are at before starting the project.

So it seems like they isolated their work from each other until it was all finished, perhaps to prevent direct influence and prompt more ambiguity and cloudiness? Okay, seems to fit some of Oversteps. However, later in the interview, Anderson describes what the music meant for him and how it related to the art. Not sure what to think of that.

Of course, we know he had heard Exai before working on the art. So a new approach to fit the music maybe?

Archived