IGNORED

Exai cover is a crime

lumpenprol

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the lack of color on the outside

It lets the sounds themselves assign their own color to each track rather than some preconceived notion of how it should look

I think the boys themselves agree as they've said similar about track titles in the past

Does TDR send in a few ideas and AE decides on the best or do they just let them do what they want?

WARP234_CD_OuterAndWallets_480.jpg

WARP234_All_588.jpg

To me the artwork does give a kind of alien artifact, which is why I think it fits the album.

Same impressions that gives to me, alien artifact. Plus the brown/grey/blue/green colours fits the woody wet sounds of the first cd.

Exai always makes me think of the organic alien world of Xenon 2, 'cause you're in space but there's also organic underwaterlike plants/life + machines and blasting (megablast):

xenon_2_-_megablast_pc_screenshot.png

Here's Flep the giant Nautilus flepping around:

xenon24jz6.png

in case people missed it in the big exai thread, apparently the cover is some sort of "code" or whatever that had something to do with the releasedate

then someone else found out that each "square" on the cover represents a letter for each trackname, or something

i don't know, i'm not boc enough to figure it out

but TDR did mention on facebook that there was some thought behind the cover and they encouraged people to figure it out

but TDR did mention on facebook that there was some thought behind the cover and they encouraged people to figure it out

with that said, now it's reminding me of this...

decoded.GIF

Without their input maybe, but do you think a cover could go out against their will? I mean, if they didn't like it I think that artist would have to go back the the drawing board so to speak

Yeah most definitely. Has AE always had their artwork done by others? Richard/AFX has done a few himself right? I care because you do, druqks?

ep7 and Confield were of their own design. I think those were the best fitting.

The Confield cover was a screencap from a short abstract animation that Sean did. I'm pretty sure it was Sean anyway. I used to have the animation saved but fuck knows where that went...

Point is, the music deserved a better cover.

For me it had the feeling, i prefer personal naivity over cold ass design work. Jandek covers are sometimes very dull, but he made own aesthetics out of it, something much bigger than pretty design closed on itself, the emptyness, holes between layers. Ae covers are mostly other people's aesthetics (like with Rutherford or tDR) or pompous anti-covers.

Guest RadarJammer

exai cover is charming in the way that your grandma makes you a sweater and you thing it looks ugly at first but it grows on you because its from your grandma and you love her and eventually you grow to love the sweater too

That was unnessecarily douchy.

And that's coming from me.

just trying to point out:

so what if a cover doesn't 'do it' for one particular person?

acroyear has already stated (correct me if I'm wrong, acroyear...) that he has been listening to Autechre since the early days, and he seems to be a long time listener. so it's not beyond assumption that he would buy a new Autechre album regardless of what cover is on it.

conversely, if acroyear was a prospective listener, who has never heard anything by Autechre themselves, but has listened to music of this 'ilk' before, and decides not to listen to it purely based on the cover art, well...his loss.

but then that's my own personal standpoint on artwork for music. it's really cool when it's nice and it fits with a release. if it doesn't, I don't care - it's the music I'm after mostly. I happen to think the artwork fits, and I agree with whoever said in this thread that it's almost like it represents a microcosm of the album as a whole.

however, my opinion is both all important and completely irrelevant all at the same time. just like acroyears, and yours.

exai cover is charming in the way that your grandma makes you a sweater and you thing it looks ugly at first but it grows on you because its from your grandma and you love her and eventually you grow to love the sweater too

lol!

Confield cover perfectly suits the music imo.

Yeah, the ae covers I like best were not done by tDR. I think Confield, Draft, and EP7 were the best.

Of tDR covers, I think Tri Rep and Chiastic were best. I'm guessing they also did Cichli Suite? That was kinda nice.

Did not like quaristice, oversteps or mot covers much at all though. Quaristice was at least interesting with the typeface thing.

Archived