IGNORED

Exai cover is a crime

lumpenprol

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, the ae covers I like best were not done by tDR. I think Confield, Draft, and EP7 were the best.

100% agree

Also agree that Chiastic Slide and cichlisuite are among the only worth wild things tDR have done.

Envane was a good cover too.

Also on the notion of non-tDR covers being better, Untilted's cover art beats anything that came after it for sure.

Exai pattern for use in GIMP: attachicon.gifexai-pattern.png

121×121 tile of Exai pattern: attachicon.gifexai-121x121.png

Regarding Conway's Game of Life, the initial Exai population of 53 cells lives for 666 generations before settling at a population of 98, with: 12 blocks, 2 boats, 1 ship, 1 pond, 1 hive, 5 blinkers and 1 glider escaping north-west.

attachicon.gif1355516967_exaigol-1024x1696.png

I thought Autechre did their own cover for Chiastic Slide? I read it in some interview. May be mixed up on tha one.

I agree...best covers are Chiastic Slide, EP7, Confield, Draft....

I thought Autechre did their own cover for Chiastic Slide? I read it in some interview. May be mixed up on tha one.

yeah, mixed up I think - it was tDR that did Chiastic Slide.

I still don't see the architecture in it... I think I'm being thick there though.

Waiting for the vinyl for a final decision about Exai cover but I can be sure that holding it in my hands will not change the fact that Untilted and Draft have about a million times more suitable cover art...IMO.

I still don't see the architecture in it... I think I'm being thick there though.

The Envane cover is a heavily abstracted version of Frank Lloyd Wright's "Falling Water". The Chiastic Slide artwork is an even more heavily abstracted version from what I can tell.

Confield cover perfectly suits the music imo.

Yeah, the ae covers I like best were not done by tDR. I think Confield, Draft, and EP7 were the best.

Of tDR covers, I think Tri Rep and Chiastic were best. I'm guessing they also did Cichli Suite? That was kinda nice.

Did not like quaristice, oversteps or mot covers much at all though. Quaristice was at least interesting with the typeface thing.

lol but yeah

draft is fucking flawless... it's like lebbeus woods and zaha thrown into maya or something i dnno

The Envane cover is a heavily abstracted version of Frank Lloyd Wright's "Falling Water". The Chiastic Slide artwork is an even more heavily abstracted version from what I can tell.

has anyone done an overlay, of a source picture with the artwork? i really am quite stupid here.

i never could do those magic eye things, either

Guest texan whip

Autechre aren't renowned for their artwork - in fact I think they make a deliberate effort to subdue it. Even their live shows have absolutely no visual aspect. I can't think of any decent cover art over the eleven albums and ep's. Amber and Draft were OK.

Waiting for the vinyl for a final decision about Exai cover but I can be sure that holding it in my hands will not change the fact that Untilted and Draft have about a million times more suitable cover art...IMO.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention Untilted! I didn't used to like it much, but now when I see/hold the album (before blasting it in the car) I think it's one if their best covers too. And it seems to perfectly fit the music, as EP7, Confield and Draft also do.

But I understand that they play down the artwork in a way, as poster above said, and that there is no conscious aim to 'fit' the music. It is visual music, though! And some of the covers do happen to fit the sonics.

has anyone done an overlay, of a source picture with the artwork? i really am quite stupid here.

i never could do those magic eye things, either

Falling-Water.jpgR-2504-1234819458.jpeg

its an abstracted drawing of something like this view, you can clearly see the dominant lines of the eaves. the crosses all over the envane + chiastic packaging also seem to be a reference to notation markers on an architectural drawings

I get that the Chiastic artwork is related to envane, but looking at the cover and flipping through the booklet I just can't see the fallingwater resemblance (for chiastic).

Only legit cover color:

180px-Warp_Records_logo.svg.png

OK, Ae did never use that. Maybe the cover of their last album should be unicolor warpcolor.

And yes, I don't like the Exai cover as well.

I must confess, I had a lovely moment with Exai the other night where it clicked in a new way, and I kept seeing the cover (or designs like the cover) flashing in my mind's eye as the music played. I now think I really fits (but I didn't before.) certain tracks 'look' like thos hiphpppy, weird, ominous black grey squares.

Archived