IGNORED

Motorbike riders thread

usagi

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Meh, I think the Ducati Scrambler is already a hipster-oriented abomination stock and the terminally hip bobber style customization isn't helping things.

Congrats on the Monster though usagi! I'm still of the opinion they strayed too far from the original Monster essence with the latest model gaining liquid cooling and a bunch of weight, surely Audi had some hand in (literally) watering it down to a more practical sporty 'standard' bike, but ultimately I wouldn't say no to one. I missed having that kind of bike too much myself, that's why I ended up getting a late model Honda Hornet (and saying goodbye to my Aprilia Dorsoduro after three fun years with it) a couple of months ago. Really enjoying the more front-wheel oriented riding position again, and buzzing and screaming around on that little inline 4 is a nice change of pace from the twins I've had before. And best of all, it's still Italian-built, at Honda's Atessa facilities, so I didn't even have to betray my heritage to get all the convenience of the Japanese engineering and design. :smile:

Mostly chain, shaft or belt, but yeah chain is by far the most common, followed by shaft for most Beemers, Guzzis and a couple of other touring/commuter bikes. Belt is relatively rare outside of the cruiser world as far as I know. Don't really understand what your point is about disc brakes? Nothing primitive about those... and bicycles didn't get them until recently. Some new motorcycle models of the retro or just plain cheap variety may still come with drum brakes though.

Yeah bicycles have developed more like motorcycles (not the other way around) in recent years. Some of the bikes I see in my area look more or less like a motorcycle without the engine.

• 2 weeks later...

^ the essence is that simple.

Meh, I think the Ducati Scrambler is already a hipster-oriented abomination stock and the terminally hip bobber style customization isn't helping things.

the stock Scrambler isn't revolutionary but I do think it has its place. a friend of mine from work is keen on them. but she's also keen on the Triumph Scrambler/Bonneville/Thruxton family, and she'd be better off with one of those for her money. (I wouldn't mind a Thruxton myself)

as always with Ducati, there are posers and hangers-on who know the brandname well before they've ever sat on one of their machines, so you'll inevitably get some riders who have no business being on a Duc and can only just barely handle one. whatareyagonnado :shrug: I actually think that all the dumb rich kids who go and buy a Monster for their first bike actually provide the company with a lot of the income they need.

Congrats on the Monster though usagi! I'm still of the opinion they strayed too far from the original Monster essence with the latest model gaining liquid cooling and a bunch of weight, surely Audi had some hand in (literally) watering it down to a more practical sporty 'standard' bike, but ultimately I wouldn't say no to one.

cheers. I've only ever ridden the current Monster evolutions so, although I've seen plenty of older ones, I've no idea what they ride like. all I know is that I can't really fault mine and it still excites me, 9 months on.

Really enjoying the more front-wheel oriented riding position again

definitely prefer this, myself.

I'm thinking about an S1000RR for my second bike, maybe a year or two down the line.

2015-bmw-s1000rr-gets-full-range-of-arro

it's a pipe dream though, I'm not cashed up enough to really afford two bikes and I don't even have the room for them really. but I want a track bike at some point. if I didn't already own a Duc I'd also consider the Panigale 899. I don't think I can justify owning two Ducs, I like a bit of diversity.

Color_SBK-899-Panigale_MY14_R_01_1067x60

• 1 year later...

Just changed bikes again, on my fourth one now. Big thumper this time, got to try everything once. It's funny how supermotos were such a fad a couple of years back, yet compared to the current trend of retro scramblers and desert sleds this is actually an authentic do-it-all bike now, not a heavy basic roadster dressed up to look like something it's not.

The lightness, the handling, the engine characteristics, even the vibes... I love everything about this bike. Had a feeling it was going to be good, but it's absolutely awesome.

NqirZYT.jpg

I really want a KTM offroad bike. nice one.

I traded in my Monster 821 for an attractively priced ex-ambassador Monster 1200S six months ago.

• 3 months later...

I get what you mean, but the end of their L-twin road bikes doesn't exactly seem near.

And yeah, although I try not to be romantic about it, and I'm genuinely excited by developments like electric bikes even, there is something really fucking fun about riding a shaky single or twin.

Archived