IGNORED

Drum sounds in 3 tracks

Alcofribas

i've always wondered this...in "bbydhyonchord," and the "you can't hide your love" dmx krew remix it sounds like rdj is using the same (or similar) drum "kit." the kick and snare in "fingerbib" also sounds quite similar.

does anyone know if the source of this is just a particular drum machine? it definitely has a 707/909 vibe but not exactly, although i wouldn't be surprised to hear if owners of either of those could easily get these sounds with eq/sampling.

just wondering and shit.

Fingerbib sounds very unique due to some careful parameter changes like length and then eq'ing so that the drums have a very specific frequency and not much depth. bbydhyonchord is also nicely eq'd. I imagine a lot of them are custom samples or some obscure drum machine. I can't be more specific because I'm not well versed in hardware drum machines. All of these could be achieved digitally to a large extent. The drums that are more interesting to me are songs like "Everyday". He either uses specific samples to achieve some organic sounding velocity changes or has developed a technique of altering velocity parameters to keep the drums from sounding flat. I've also attempted to do this using very slight pitch changes as well. I think the easiest way is to use a good sample though and I imagine that is what he does.

One thing that may or may not be relevant to this discussion is the fact that (according to RDJ) in the mid 90's the bulk of RDJ's gear was at his parents' house and he would go there every 6 months and harvest a bunch of samples from the gear, use those samples and then come back in another 6 months and do it again.

Anyway, I could see him using samples multiple times.

i know what you mean, they have an 808 digital emulation sound like they were created with a nord or something. They were distinct drums sounds he used back then. I dont think they are a drum machine, but home made on a computer. but who knows

But I'm gonna be honest and say I don't hear much of a similarity between the three.

Am I missing something?

Can you stipulate which snare and which kick because each song has lots of layered stuff on the snare hits.

limpy: "bbydyonchord" is hard to explain b/c there's obviously a number of different drum sounds going on but if you listen to the snare that hits at :53 on this video you'll prob know what i mean (1:07 is also a good example and at the end after the synths fade out there are a couple relatively isolated hits:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJhjZiCRNQY

now compare that to the snare in the dmx krew remix:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZbYP6QG6fQ

surely you can hear the similarity?

the kicks are even more similar imo. on "bbyd" there's more high end but they sound to my ears like they could easily be from the same source.

in the beginning of fingerbib there's just a kick and a snare and imo these two also sound quite similar to the above examples, although to me they are somewhat more distinct than the other two.

it's hard for me to describe the sounds of drums for the most part but i can say that the snares have a very roland tr sound and are especially reminiscent of the 909 and 707 snares but at the same time sound distinct enough from those that some emulation/sampling/heavy eq must be at play if they are in fact from those machines. more or less the same for the kick. i'd say they have a very flat, almost muddy sound as well which could be the result of down sampling. idk.

the hidden love remix is clearly a 606. in the druqks track there are a couple of layers so its not so clear (some real percussion and blueprint handclaps mixed in). maybe custom made analogue drums? (the white noise open hat for example).

to me it gets nowhere near a 909

fingerbib is something completely different. i don't know what that is, but it repeats all over MFM, and in some tracks of AB.

Guest isaki

there's a track on melodies from mars ( I think ) that has the same snare as fingerbib (not fingerbib)

and track 10 shares the same hi-hats as another track. ( my memory is crap, I can't remember the name )
I'm thinking Blur from SAW 1 but it's probably just a similar sound

track 5's wet sounding "hi-hats" are found in something else too

Guest Spunk Monkey

They might be 606 snares. But if so they sound drier, lower and less legato than an unmodded 606 can produce on its own.

btw what does this mean?

m8 do u even compress?

He means you can really hear the squashed compression on the drums, Could be any drum machine really, Just squash them to hell.

Try it Maybe?

They might be 606 snares. But if so they sound drier, lower and less legato than an unmodded 606 can produce on its own.

btw what does this mean?

m8 do u even compress?

He means you can really hear the squashed compression on the drums, Could be any drum machine really, Just squash them to hell.

Try it Maybe?

hmm dunno bout that

Archived