IGNORED

Drum sounds in 3 tracks

Alcofribas

Exactly

by "I dunno bout that" I mean I know exactly what compression is capable of doing to a snare drum. Compression certainly doesn't alter a sound beyond recognition, unless of course you squish its guts out but as you can clearly hear these drums have not been compressed that much.

Are you sure that you have the remotest idea what you're talking about?

Guest Spunk Monkey

Exactly

by "I dunno bout that" I mean I know exactly what compression is capable of doing to a snare drum. Compression certainly doesn't alter a sound beyond recognition, unless of course you squish its guts out but as you can clearly hear these drums have not been compressed that much.

Yep

Exactly

Yep

Then could you explain what you're talking about?

Guest Retrig

Exactly

Yep

LimpyLoo going toe to toe with Jodey Kendrick.

/popcorn

Exactly

Yep

/popcorn

I am familiar with the sound of compression.

What I am saying is that the "You Can't Hide Your Love" drums sound punchy and staccato, probably compressed, but not to the extent that it would render them un-identifyable.

Exactly

Yep

/popcorn

btw if Spunk is Jodey Kendrick then that's awesome and in that case he obviously knows what he's talking about.

But I still disagree that these snares are familiar, commonplace snares that have been compressed beyond recognition.

Exactly

Yep

/popcorn

btw if Spunk is Jodey Kendrick then that's awesome and in that case he obviously knows what he's talking about.

But I still disagree that these snares are familiar, commonplace snares that have been compressed beyond recognition.

Actually, it is his wife, so be nice or he'll sit on you.

I’ve always wondered about this sound as well. If it is the really muted but raspy RDJ snare that you all are talking about—too lazy to listen to the samples now.

I always assumed it was something digital, maybe not digital in origin from the beginning, but a digitally manipulated sound, like something from the R8 or whatever. Just rambling though, carry on…

having owned an r8 for many years i can say that imo it's not the source. although, i never tried any of the rom cards so i wouldn't be able to rule those out.

i also disagree that extreme compression on any drum machine would result in this particular sound.

if richard would just please chime in here to appease my idle curiosity on this unimportant issue i'd be most grateful. thanks in advance, rich.

Just had a clever idea that the snare in Can't Find Your Snare remix is the same snare from the original with some hidden love applied.

Can't believe I couldn't hide this before.

• 1 year later...

so, i was just listening to mental union 1 and noticed that on the track "leap through time" it sounds to me like aleksi perala uses a similar kit, particularly that snare:

http://aleksiperala.bandcamp.com/track/leap-through-time

the kick and snare i'm referring to come in at 1:07 and then appear variously throughout.

fucking lush

I'm also wondering about the claps in AB5 B2. Did he make these himself?

I think I can also hear these in some MFM songs.

That AB5 B2 clap/snare thing sounds bitcrushed and then flanged (and then resampled, seeing as the flange doesn't change).

Should be pretty easy to duplicate once you hit phase of the flange LFO on the nose.

Archived