IGNORED

Korg Volca series

• Replies 631
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the big question for me (which I can probably guess the answer) is whether the Volca Keys will have actual 3-note polyphony or simply tunable oscillators. I'm guessing the latter as it's frigging $150 and they would have shown off the polyphony in the demo and/or mentioned it at Musikmesse.

Either way, these are extremely sexy.

the big question for me (which I can probably guess the answer) is whether the Volca Keys will have actual 3-note polyphony or simply tunable oscillators. I'm guessing the latter as it's frigging $150 and they would have shown off the polyphony in the demo and/or mentioned it at Musikmesse.

yeah that's also what I'm wondering. But in the demo the guy seems to make chords directly with his fingers playing on the ribbon controller, does that not means it's actually polyphonic ? If it is I will probably be interested in having one of those.

yeah that's also what I'm wondering. But in the demo the guy seems to make chords directly with his fingers playing on the ribbon controller, does that not means it's actually polyphonic ? If it is I will probably be interested in having one of those.

Oh jesus how did i miss him playing chords

err i think i was reading something while listening to the demo

okay, well, that appears to be polyphony

wow so...everyone on the planet that was asking for a cheap polyphonic analog synth....here it is innit

So that means it's possible to simply feed it with midi from the computer right ? That would be awesome for the price indeed. But I'm wondering if it's capable of a versatile sound. Doesn't look so according to the controls it has. No waveform selection for the VCOs (according to the video it seems to be a saw one), and a lot of its features seem to be dedicated to the sequencer, which is in my configuration not so interesting. Oh well, let's wait and see, it still looks quite sweet.

I find the fact the LFO can be addressed to pitch and cutoff in tweakable amounts (two knobs) very cool by the way. Probably can deliver very good results in comparison to the lfo of the monotribe that can only be switched between PITCH, CUTOFF, and PITCH + CUTOFF

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uL7QPiMB4wA

So that means it's possible to simply feed it with midi from the computer right ? That would be awesome for the price indeed. But I'm wondering if it's capable of a versatile sound. Doesn't look so according to the controls it has. No waveform selection for the VCOs (according to the video it seems to be a saw one), and a lot of its features seem to be dedicated to the sequencer, which is in my configuration not so interesting. Oh well, let's wait and see, it still looks quite sweet.

I find the fact the LFO can be addressed to pitch and cutoff in tweakable amounts (two knobs) very cool by the way. Probably can deliver very good results in comparison to the lfo of the monotribe that can only be switched between PITCH, CUTOFF, and PITCH + CUTOFF

you can definitely change the waveforms

browse google for the closeups

re: polyphony on Volca Keys

sadly, I don't think it is polyphonic. Although it looks like he's playing chords in the first demo, the chords are parallel minor chords (1-b3-5) and the only variation is that certain notes are bent while the chord is being held.

I have a feeling this is a deceptive bit of marketing as you can plainly see him playing chord shapes...okay yeah I watched it 3 times and I don't think he's even performing. Seems like a backing track.

http://m.matrixsynth.com/2013/04/new-korg-groovebox-renders.html

Volca Keys Analogue Loop Synth

The ideal introductory synthesizer, with a simple – yet powerful – polyphonic analog sound engine and loop sequencer

The polyphonic synthesizer you've been waiting for
Three note true analogue synthesis
Voicing function lets anyone create sounds easily
Delay effect for even more sonic possibilities

okay so it is polyphonic............?

It clearly says "SAW", "TRI" and "SQUARE" on the keyboard, you select them with the Function key.

Edit: DOH.

yeah but just at the bottom of that there's a label that seems to indicate those waveforms are only concerning the LFO. I own an electribe and the "keyboard" features similar alternate functions. I could make a mistake though, I can't look at the videos right now, and even can't look at the specs more precisely, as I'm trying to work (lol)

re: polyphony on Volca Keys

sadly, I don't think it is polyphonic. Although it looks like he's playing chords in the first demo, the chords are parallel minor chords (1-b3-5) and the only variation is that certain notes are bent while the chord is being held.

I have a feeling this is a deceptive bit of marketing as you can plainly see him playing chord shapes...okay yeah I watched it 3 times and I don't think he's even performing. Seems like a backing track.

oh, missed that post. yeah well I guess that it's not then. Anyway, what would be the point of the knob at the top left in case it was ?

and as for that second article you posted, I guess they're just playing with words, as this synth actually can produce chords = several notes in the same time = "polyphonic".

Archived