IGNORED

Kanye West - Yeezus

Guest abracadabra

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, let's perform a song called "New Slaves" on SNL with a flashy background video of "NOT FOR SALE" stickers, to encourage anti-consumer sentiment and rebellion by, you know, mass marketing digital purchases from the largest digital artist in the past decade by watching two performances on a popular saturday night comedy show. What a badass. What a trail blazer.

Yeah this, wtf.

I don't think he's to blame for that specifically, he's in a position of being so hyped and so perpetually focused on by the media that he can either fuck around with everyone or implode. The only other sane option is becoming a recluse or something. He doesn't have the wit or charm of say, Bob Dylan or Muhammad Ali or John Lennon, but the way he puts on the media is similar to me and doesn't bother me at. He simply highlights how utterly ridiculous the powerful entities of the internet have become in shaping and influencing what "pop culture" is and is supposed to be. It's akin to the Daft Punk hype - it's a mediocre and inessential album but that will never be "the fact" according to most music journalists and "the public," even if millions of people publicly point that out. Money and power can make delusions fact. It can make an objectively and critically unimportant album like RAM "a milestone release" when it totally fucking isn't. Kanye's career is even more extreme than that. I don't even think Kanye has a handle on who he is or is supposed to be. How could he?

I'm mostly re-hashing things I've brought up to friends and peers of mine. I also told them I'm incredibly apathetic to the new album, even though I really enjoyed My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy and had a blast seeing him live in 2011 at ACL. I have too many other albums distracting me at the moment. :happy:

exactly.

The production sounded really interesting, but the subject matter and the character representing it is fucking ridiculous.

Hey, let's perform a song called "New Slaves" on SNL with a flashy background video of "NOT FOR SALE" stickers, to encourage anti-consumer sentiment and rebellion by, you know, mass marketing digital purchases from the largest digital artist in the past decade by watching two performances on a popular saturday night comedy show. What a badass. What a trail blazer.

fucking lol smetty

OHHHHHH!

That's where smettingham rutherford went. He's SR4 :facepalm:

i have to admit that i'm really slow when someone changes their name.

(and yeah i totally didn't know SR4 was smetty)

The live show will feature Yeezy emerging from Kim K's vagina.

Pretty sure Kanye's only ever been up her butt, tbqh

I'm now imagining Kanye singing "I said 'what what' in the butt" acappella with gratuitous auto-tune applied in front of a giant staged hologram robot ass rising behind him slowly. Also taiko drums come in at some point.

Listened to the album's leak out of curiosity - that's actually decent stuff, a bit shocking to hear ultra mainstream artist go all grime, like, truly. And what's striking is how crisp it sounds. The only part i can't enjoy at all is his rapping, though it's miles away from his usual gayfish dribble on most tracks.

It's good music, Kanye is just a fucking idiot. The fact that he is extremely talented has nothing to do with the fact that he thinks he's extremely talented, both just happen to be independently true.

He is a tosser but the album is good.....not great though. The last two albums were better.

If he wasn't such an egotist I would actually buy his music.

Well the album art's rad. I can't view the videos because the internet hates Canada. I'm a little bothered by the fact that I kind of want to hear the album even though I thought the last two were horribly cheesy and mediocre. I've clearly been damaged by music journalists and public opinion or I would have absolutely no interest in this. Either that I just want to listen to something that has that cover. I wish that were my album art.

I wonder how does a track produced by Daft Punk, Rick Rubin, Hudson Mohawke, Mike Dean, Travis Scott and the Yeezus sound. Probably the only reason why I'll listen to this

It's just a grime track. Some distorted beats and frantic synths. The opening 3 songs are great but minimal and nothing new. I saw sarcastic tweet saying "Kanye u big into Analogue Bubblebath III & IV apparently"

First track made me instantly think of "Pulse X" - that grime classic you can remake in Rebirth that came out 11 years ago.

+

http://youtu.be/qZShI381OnY

I can't imagine this many people producing the song - like, maybe they all took turns doing individual thinks. Daft Punk pressing 4 bassdrum buttons on a 909, Hudmo laying one vocal loop, Rick Rubin pressing a couple synth keys.

http://youtu.be/a4ID73ILXmU

Edited by joshuatx

He and kim had a baby? Wow... I totally didn't know this! Not that I care.

But Yeah. Kanye has been hit and miss with me since the album where he sampled Daft Punk. Loved the stuff before. Mercy is cool until that change when he starts rapping.

Edited by asymmetrical head