IGNORED

The LED mask

Schlitze

The LED mask/helmet is a curious creature. I've never found this headgear hip and i think it's a distraction from the music. Daft Punk go with this kinda thing on the basis that it makes them robotic even though there are about 1000 artists who sound more robotic than Daft Punk. Very surpised to see Tom go with this style with the LED mask. He really seems to be going completely with the visual style of this thing and tends to rave on about it more than his trax.

Does Tom need to get rid of this mask in order to progress? And would you let this LED mask control you in the way that it did Jim Carrey and Tom?

I personally think its utterly pointless.. he's said its good to hide behind...........yet from most live shows he seems to revel in being up front banging out the tunes with a gleeful smile. I mean Aphex simply hides behind a stern/concentrated face and smoke n lights and autehcre just turn the stage lights off....

Simply put.....it looks daft, pun (k) intended.

The light shows brilliant but the helmet adds fuck-all it seems to me. It seems TJ got a kick out of designing it and realizing it and must enjoy wearing it... but i'd rather see him enjoying the set as much as coachella, liquid, japan and all the other livesets on video. It adds to the performance to see his face, for me

I like the way it allows him to merge with the visuals and the way I see it is as him becoming part of the display rather than separate.

And of course the light show is synchronized with the music so it's kind of like he's merged with his own music. Does that make sense?

sure the idea sounds cool but visually it doesn't really work that way in practice. He ends up being fairly distinct from the large screen by virtue of his moevment/shape etc. I'd say he feels he merges with the music himself trough wearing the helmet, to some degree.... but any more than pounding on the bass n pedals n knobs?

sure the idea sounds cool but visually it doesn't really work that way in practice. He ends up being fairly distinct from the large screen by virtue of his moevment/shape etc. I'd say he feels he merges with the music himself trough wearing the helmet, to some degree.... but any more than pounding on the bass n pedals n knobs?

yes I feel it does work and makes him a part of the installation (ah that's the word I was looking for).

... I mean Aphex simply hides behind a stern/concentrated face and smoke n lights

Yeah. And he also literally hid on the floor, under the table for years.

I really liked how the LED lights in the mask were a bit brighter than the screen. I don't think you'd have been able to see him enjoying the show at all standing in front of that light screen, he would just have been a silhouette. And it was fun to see his head bobbing around to the music all lit up like that. I really think the whole setup worked great together as a live show. I mean yes, it might have caused some serious permanent damage to my hearing, but I would go again. With those fancy sound attenuating earplugs.

Richard's new mask with chip tune capacity built in:

d703e85205cff243a0adbcbfe10d822f_zps3c8e

lol

thats awesome. though i imagine the visibility/ventilation aint too good in there.

the way it interacts with the screens is a metaphor for the external and the internal, probably the most persistent duality. i don't think anyone's ever done it like that, and it comes off great.

• 4 weeks later...

Richard's new mask with chip tune capacity built in:

d703e85205cff243a0adbcbfe10d822f_zps3c8e

lol

thats awesome. though i imagine the visibility/ventilation aint too good in there.

HA!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived