IGNORED

Programming

zlemflolia

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Any tips on learning C++, and, later on, writing sound programs? It's the first language I learn (besides QBASIC and a bit of Logo when I was 8 years old but that doesn't count I guess), so far I'm using the tutorial section of cprogramming.com.

To be honest, there are so many learning resources out there now that you can pick up almost any tutorial site and get a decent start. I wish I had YouTube in the late 80's/early 90's!

That site looks like it has some good tutorials. Set a simple project for yourself and dig in to it. The C++ landscape is vast, there's a lot to take in and if you need to get something running fast using it then it can be a steep learning curve, picking your own thing and writing something is much more satisfying. You may get a number of people recommending that you learn C first as it teaches basic syntax but I don't think that is true. I learnt C++ on the back of C after reading Bjarne Stroustrup, and realised that the language is much more about OOP than it is about the syntax, and since then I've seen a number of projects where people use C++ in a C way and it gets messy quickly. I wouldn't call it a taint, but straight C usage will get in the way.

Then, read a load of books on DSP.

Any tips on learning C++, and, later on, writing sound programs? It's the first language I learn (besides QBASIC and a bit of Logo when I was 8 years old but that doesn't count I guess), so far I'm using the tutorial section of cprogramming.com.

https://www.packtpub.com/game-development/getting-started-c-audio-programming-game-development

• 1 month later...

Programming books are fucking expensive man. Thank God my uni's library has an awesome collection of all of the essentials, both in English and Spanish. I wish I knew about college libraries when I was a kid.

yeah, they are expensive, and I also realized how glorious universities libraries are. I found a Head First Java book, gonna study it.

https://www.packtpub.com/game-development/getting-started-c-audio-programming-game-development

i guess this can also help:

Designing Audio Effect Plug-Ins in C++

Yeah, cool.

I think I'm going to specialize in Audio Programming.

I've been wanting to take the plunge and do the same thing.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Going through http://www.learncpp.com/right now to get the basics down and then hop into the 'Designing Audio Effect Plug-Ins in C++' book. The shitty thing about the book is that the companion software only runs on Windows, so I have to get a Windows machine or run a VM.

With anything in programming, it always feels like there are 30 steps between every step. It's like completing quests in MMORPG's.

• 9 months later...

Currently learning a bit of Python for fun, thanks to the Pythonista app on the iPhone. Doing some very basic sound stuff, manipulating photos and making random shapes. It's the first language I've really clicked with and it integrates into other programs I use like Cinema 4D, etc. Good stuff.

FINALLY finished my virtual midi keyboard. Works just like ableton's built in one, with the 12-tone scale being played via A through J etc, and switching octaves with Z and X. Took all god damn day but it's finally done!

8QhtWpA.png

2 revive this wanker thread, I'll add 2 things:

-Visual Studio Code is fucking amazing and I stopped using Sublime for it.

-Lynda tutorials are ace. In one day you can understand valuable information about many stuff.

FINALLY finished my virtual midi keyboard. Works just like ableton's built in one, with the 12-tone scale being played via A through J etc, and switching octaves with Z and X. Took all god damn day but it's finally done!

8QhtWpA.png

noice

-Visual Studio Code is fucking amazing and I stopped using Sublime for it.

In what sense? getting kinda tired of sublime tbh

the intellisense thing. integrated git. feels and looks more professional. i can see the colors i use on css.

https://code.visualstudio.com/

its still in beta tho, so don't expect millions of extensions like sublieme, but that's what I like, to not be dependable of feken extensions

VS Code does a lot more out of the box without the need for plug-ins, it's quite similar to Atom (both based on the same UI framework), and both are fairly similar to Sublime compared to other IDEs. I mostly use Visual Studio so not an expert in any of them, just use them for a viewing/editing JSON files and a small bit of JS and HTML editing from time to time when I'm away from my main dev box. Updating Sublime with extra packages is a pain though, Atom has a built in package manager which is a big improvement, less need for packages in VS Code depending on what your development environment is (it's geared towards Web/ASP.net/TypeScript/JS/node), though I think a recent version has added a package manager. Sublime might have a few more features than the other two seeing as it's been around a lot longer, so probably better in certain edge cases, would imagine the others will soon bridge any remaining gaps though, either one is a better bet than Sublime long-term.

Archived