IGNORED

Oneohtrix Point Never - R Plus Seven

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, it sucks when an artist doesn't share your exact same taste in music

It sucks when you feel smarter than the other and tend to simplify deeply emotional reactions. There is a limit to praising, it's not the fact of liking something (if it's not AFX liking Raime, that's just a crime), it's how they described it.

xxx you're the bomb. I don't recall the incident you mentioned but I am sorry if I made fun of something you did. you're lush as fuck.

it's weird bc I don't exactly hate the album and there are definitely some lush moments in it but I simply can't escape the sense that I'm listening to Pure Wank vol.7.

of course I have no problem with appropriating things from the past nor do I believe references are insincere or cheap. to suggest that comparing lopatin to larson is unfair seems a bit weird. I mean, it seems pretty obvious that claude larson was a touchstone for this record. I know lopatin included a larson track from one of the records i mentioned in a mix after replica came out so he's obviously into his music. perhaps I'm just saying I think larson was a much cooler and more experimental musician than lopatin and I like listening to his music more.

idk, to each his own. I'm glad people are so into this and it's definitely cool to see weird instrumental electronic records getting such positive support. it's been a good record to grapple with in its way but I don't want to ruffle any more feathers here and now I feel bad that I made fun of Sr. XXX

Guest jasondonervan

Looks like pointnever.com changed a bit since I last looked. I carved out these extended versions of R+7 trax from the site last year, some of y'all might enjoy them as they drift on for about 7 minutes a piece.

in the past year I've gotten way more into the works of Claude Larson and I must say any respect I had for "r + 7" has been significantly diminished by this experience. in some respects it seems like lopatin is straight ripping off Larson and in general it just makes his project seem really derivative and annoying. check out larson records like "digital landscape" and "synchrosonic patterns" and tell me this isn't 30 years ahead of lopatin. I think larson's compositions are much richer and more inventive as well.

I mean, I get it, lopatin's whole thing is a foray into the past (is there any original artwork for one of his albums?) but tbh I think he walks a fine line between conceptual nostalgia and banal ripoff. I think all of his albums are marred by awkward tracks (the last track on r+7, "grief and repetition," "child soldier," etc) and he relies too heavily on hip nostalgia and faceless appropriation of better music.

it's frustrating to me bc there are tracks like "physical memory" that really get me going and seem to reveal this great depth in his abilities but overall I'd say his career has been overwhelmingly full of wank.

this is known as the williamsburg effect.

but alco i agree with you--- that larson stuff is really great and OPN does just seem like a complete ripoff. Theo posted a mario paint theme which also blows a lot of OPN out of the water. That said -- I did enjoy r+7 but only really return to the first 3 minutes of zebra. But because it's a ripoff make it unenjoyable-- unclear to me, certainly makes the shallow praise of "groundbreaking" irritating.

How is it a ripoff? It's like, one of the least explored genres of music ever. Someone has to do something with it. Perhaps the praise he's gotten for it is wanky, but frankly it is sort of groundbreaking in a sense that someone could make a record with experimental outsider digital and mix it with pop and form it in such a way that so many people love it. And someone still needs to show me what person in the experimental digital circles has made an album as fast-paced in form as r+7. It sounds super different from older digital stuff when taken as a whole. Everyone is standing on the shoulders of giants, Oneohtrix included, but the record is definitely original. Still Life doesn't really sound like experimental digital at all, actually. He inserted a fucking rave tune in the middle.

How is it a ripoff? It's like, one of the least explored genres of music ever. Someone has to do something with it. Perhaps the praise he's gotten for it is wanky, but frankly it is sort of groundbreaking in a sense that someone could make a record with experimental outsider digital and mix it with pop and form it in such a way that so many people love it. And someone still needs to show me what person in the experimental digital circles has made an album as fast-paced in form as r+7. It sounds super different from older digital stuff when taken as a whole. Everyone is standing on the shoulders of giants, Oneohtrix included, but the record is definitely original. Still Life doesn't really sound like experimental digital at all, actually. He inserted a fucking rave tune in the middle.

:facepalm:

Lost any respect for Sean's taste after that comment. Same with David Lynch's praising Kanye song last year. At least Lynch was friends with Moby and all these sexy voiced chicks, i learnt to not give a fuck. Sean was almost perfect, paid attention to SND and Dalglish because of Ae tours. Then he praised Oberman Knocks. AFX into Raime. Fuck, i don't have anyone else to look up to.
i dunno if you're being serious or not, but what if I told you that you can still respect someone's opinions even if they differ slightly on some things?

lol that sounds very much like a comment I would make on here, and I happen to agree with it. It was weird that after such a magical and near perfect run of Sean Booth curated and recommended music he would say that (especially after more or less trashing or dismissing a significant amount of the more recent Warp roster). The Aphex twin raime thing hit me super hard though, because Raime is incredibly bland beyond belief

what if there's something he digs about it that you guys don't get?

for the record, I have no idea who oberman knocks is.

Love is cruel like this. I don't want to be the one who digs R+7 as weird as fuck giving a ton of new parameters to music. That's not slightly differs, that's game changer point of no return. Oberman Knocks is just for context, obliterate it.

Lost any respect for Sean's taste after that comment. Same with David Lynch's praising Kanye song last year. At least Lynch was friends with Moby and all these sexy voiced chicks, i learnt to not give a fuck. Sean was almost perfect, paid attention to SND and Dalglish because of Ae tours. Then he praised Oberman Knocks. AFX into Raime. Fuck, i don't have anyone else to look up to.
i dunno if you're being serious or not, but what if I told you that you can still respect someone's opinions even if they differ slightly on some things?

The Aphex twin raime thing

What is the Aphex Twin raime thing..?

I have listened to 'R Plus Seven' more times than any other release in the last twenty years, I would easily buy it and play it as much again if it was to be rereleased under a different name in a different sleeve. Please rerelease it under a different name in a different sleeve... & thanks to jasondonervan for the uploads of the seven minute versions, same same but different is almost just as good as same same.

Archived