IGNORED

Question for Hauntologists....

Guest fox

Guest Zelmo Swift

I first heard of "hauntology" from Ariel Pink in an interview I read in which he categorized his music as such. He also attempted to define the term as it refers to music and art.

I can't find the interview, I think it may have been an early L.A. Weekly piece, but I did find this in a review for "Before Today" from The Quietus:

"Derrida's concept of 'hauntology' was appropriated by writers Simon Price and Mark Fisher to describe music employing an array of aural tics to convey a nostalgic vision that's siren-like in its seductiveness and every bit as untrustworthy. Central in all this is a sense of decay - conveyed in Pink's music through pointedly lo-fi production and tape hiss, fragmented sequencing and warped time signatures - that nudges the listener towards an acknowledgement that none of this is real, while still allowing you to enjoy the music at 'face value'. What Pink gives us, then, is "the reality of the lie", as Zizek puts it in his amusing dissection of The Matrix; a recognition that the images which bombard us in everyday life - visual, textual, aural - can be said not only to shape but in some way constitute our reality."

Zizek didn't come up with that, Guy Debord said that a long time ago with The Society of the Spectacle.

I've tried to get the Devon Folklore Tapes Vol 4 but as it is sold out on bandcamp you can't buy the FLAC editions either. I understand the whole ltd edition, book, casette retro-fetish thing but what's the point of denying people digital copies when they were quite happy to orginally offer them with the casette when it was available?

Seems like lost money and customers. If the artist cannot even be bothered to sell me a legitimate legal download, well......

I feel the same way. Try contacting David and see if he has any promo downloads left.

When the label was only two or three releases in, they did have digital only copies available on their bandcamp. Not sure what the reason for changing this policy was, though.

For those interested, the Children of Alice side of DFTV is available on Children of Alice's bandcamp page (Children of Alice being members of Broadcast) and is one of the best sides of the series.

Mary Arches is the same pair who did Songs for Hannah Henley (David Chatton Barker (David Orphan) & Alex Borland (The White Funz)

see above, fumi

Yes, I used the contact form on the Folklore Tapes site a few days ago. I explained that I really wanted Volume 5, explained how I appreciated the need for it to be limited, retro, etc. I asked for a single one-time download code that I would pay for. I also explained that it seemed a bit odd that I am willing to support their work financially but simply am not allowed too. Either they're already making more than enough money or they simply don't care. Nice position to be in.

Either way, they never replied.

Yes, I used the contact form on the Folklore Tapes site a few days ago. I explained that I really wanted Volume 5, explained how I appreciated the need for it to be limited, retro, etc. I asked for a single one-time download code that I would pay for. I also explained that it seemed a bit odd that I am willing to support their work financially but simply am not allowed too. Either they're already making more than enough money or they simply don't care. Nice position to be in.

Either way, they never replied.

in my experience DCB tends to be less than stellar with email. I would suggest buying the Children of Alice side and then trying David again in a couple of days for the Mary Arches side.

Just a heads up. I found (quite by chance) that the Theo Brown box set that was previously sold out now apparently has a few copies left. There is also now a tape edition - which is a damn sight cheaper than the vinyl single set - both come with download codes. They went on sale this morning.

I don't think they'll be avaialble for long.

http://folkloretapes.bigcartel.com/products

Regards

Just a heads up. I found (quite by chance) that the Theo Brown box set that was previously sold out now apparently has a few copies left. There is also now a tape edition - which is a damn sight cheaper than the vinyl single set - both come with download codes. They went on sale this morning.

I don't think they'll be avaialble for long.

http://folkloretapes.bigcartel.com/products

Regards

Yeah, I highly recommend the Theo Brown album and, no, they won't be around long methinks.

Also, Jon Brooks has an LP coming out in October for Clay Pipe which is promising (I lovelovelove his work)

That track by Children Of Alice - 'The Harbinger of Spring' makes for extremely uncomfortable listening. eerie and disturbing.

That's what I love about folklore tapes. There has only been one side of one tape which has disappointed. great stuff, but, certainly, you've gotta be in the mood for it.

That track by Children Of Alice - 'The Harbinger of Spring' makes for extremely uncomfortable listening. eerie and disturbing.

That's what I love about folklore tapes. There has only been one side of one tape which has disappointed. great stuff, but, certainly, you've gotta be in the mood for it.

Indeed. After a few listens, I felt that I'd been marked for sacrifice by some religious pagans on a remote island in the Hebrides during the 1970s.

Archived