IGNORED

Non-Smoking Thread

Guest Gary C

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm a pretty noob smoker. I have 4 cigs a day at most. But even that's a little addiction. When I stopped for a few days, I was on edge, everything annoyed me. I need to plan ahead for a few days when I'm not doing anything important, and get all the nicotine out of my system without feeling like ripping someone's head off.

I quit smoking 2 years ago. From a pack a day to 0 in one day. What helped me with those intense anger spikes was to do something physically intense, like a short but intense bike ride. It tired me and made me appreciate the importance of healthy lungs. I got a lot of throat slime the first weeks after quitting though. Before my successful attempt I was always sceptical that I could manage it but one day I just told myself to quit no matter what. It somehow stuck and the longer I was at it the more ludicrous it seemed to pick it up again. It's probably the best thing I've ever done to improve my life.

Quitting easy hard for a little.

The easy part is sitting through annoying withdrawals for a few days and mild for like two weeks

Easy as in anyone who wants to do it can. Get down to five cigs or less a day first. It's seriously not that bad.

The hard part is staying off them. I don't have that down yet but I swear withdrawal is really not a big deal if you set yourself up mentally to enjoy the pain. It's kind of annoying when people hype it up and make it sound worse than it is. It's bad but completely manageable

I can give tips for withdrawal but not long term commitment which requires generally more than just attention towards cigs. All areas should b improved

I basically let everyone know that I was in a very shit mood and yes, it was infuriating. I knew I was right and I was like ten times more abusive and loud toward my family. They understood it was for the best though. All other times just focus on the tension in your body and accept it. Count to ten and do something else

Cold turkey is easy imo, I just enjoy a couple when I drink. I'm on about 5 roll-ups a week.

to each his own. i just wanna do that anymore. it destroys my nose and lungs. i had a family dinner yesterday, and both my parents smoke (none of the kids though). i had some small moments of "oh boy, i wish i had a fag", but i didn't succumb. then i replied to your post and kinda got in contact with a fag, so everything kinda worked out in the end :tongue:

then i replied to your post and kinda got in contact with a fag, so everything kinda worked out in the end :tongue:

Hey there's no wrong way to quit smoking.

i got into it from first trying clove ciggs. Smoking weed also, We heard you could get higher with ciggs. Silly Youth i was. Plus, you got more breaks at work if you smoked. I loved american spirits. Glad i quit as I fuckin loved smoking

May I introduce myself as the most hardcore non-smoker on this board? I fucking despise smoking with a passion, the reason for that is mostly that, as soon as there's a person smoking close enough to me so that I can just about notice the smell, I get an instant headache almost every time. I keep telling people about it but they're always like "Ohh ... well that's too bad!" whilst lighting the next one! This headache-business might be a psychological thing, but it's still a actual pain I am forced to sit through because of somebody else's recklessness. It always amazed me how quickly common decency and consideration is abandoned when there is a socially accepted addiction involved. I've never smoked a cigarette in my life, probably wasn't insecure enough in social situations to be regressing to the point of craving a thumbsucking-substitue.

I accidentally took a drag from a joint once that was going around at a party, not knowing it wasn't pure, I thought it tasted like burnt Pizza crust, what the fuck are you even doing to your poor weed?!

From my point of view, there is no difference between the way a smoker craves his next cig and the way a heroine user needs his next hit, with the exception of the heroine user actually experiencing a positive high, whilst the tobacco user is just smoking to get into a state that he used to be in CONSTANTLY before he started smoking (excluding leathery skin and smoke-scented clothes and breath) - It's fucking insane when you look at it from this perspective!

i cut down two weeks ago. i still smoked a couple of times when i was drinking (so, like three or four nights). i figure cold turkey is unnecessarily difficult and just smoking on occasion will help me develop more self-control. i was a pack every two days and now i smoked a pack in two weeks, so i'm pretty satisfied with my progress.

You'll relapse soon enough, I never believe people who say they are 'cutting down'. Quitting smoking is very easy via cold turkey, you'll just eat a fuck ton to compensate. In other words, stop being a little bitch and chose one path or the other, there is no middle ground with tobacco.

yes!

If i smoke, i only will smoke the royal plant.

yes!

smoking cigarettes simply adds nothing to your life. it only adds something to your life when you are smoking, and that is the fact that you need your cigarette to feed your lame addiction. when you are not smoking, you don't need cigarettes.

that's my simple truth.

yes!

My dad's always smoked so I guess I've been around the smell and wasn't disgusted whenever I first tried.

no! (well, maybe yes, in your case) - my dad is a smoker and I always hated it.

Like I said, I find that a cigarette is a good tool in social situations. As I was pretty nervous around my late teens I would have most likely used smoking as an excuse to leave busy crowded social situations. Catch people in smaller groups smoking, more manageable. I also believe there's some truth in that with a red-hot ember in your fingers you've manifested a subconscious guard.

yes! (sadly)

Marijuana is as much a waste of time as drinking tea, reading a book, watching a movie, smiling. Seriously, what's with that point of view?

We're not talking about Marijuana ... are we?

Quit. No matter what. Just quit.
All of you.
I've known the most hardcore smokers on the planet who have still successfully quit. It can be done.

yes!

May I introduce myself as the most hardcore non-smoker on this board? I fucking despise smoking with a passion, the reason for that is mostly that, as soon as there's a person smoking close enough to me so that I can just about notice the smell, I get an instant headache almost every time. I keep telling people about it but they're always like "Ohh ... well that's too bad!" whilst lighting the next one! This headache-business might be a psychological thing, but it's still a actual pain I am forced to sit through because of somebody else's recklessness. It always amazed me how quickly common decency and consideration is abandoned when there is a socially accepted addiction involved. I've never smoked a cigarette in my life, probably wasn't insecure enough in social situations to be regressing to the point of craving a thumbsucking-substitue.

I accidentally took a drag from a joint once that was going around at a party, not knowing it wasn't pure, I thought it tasted like burnt Pizza crust, what the fuck are you even doing to your poor weed?!

From my point of view, there is no difference between the way a smoker craves his next cig and the way a heroine user needs his next hit, with the exception of the heroine user actually experiencing a positive high, whilst the tobacco user is just smoking to get into a state that he used to be in CONSTANTLY before he started smoking (excluding leathery skin and smoke-scented clothes and breath) - It's fucking insane when you look at it from this perspective!

Touchè mate :beer:

I actually intentionally wanted to smoke bacco in recent months, to keep myself sane during times of absolute mental mayhem. I am generally against bacco, but it's now one of my daily pleasures. I started da bacco in recent many a moon, cuz I used to smoke a shitload of hash in Cairo, which is generally mixed with bacco. I also used to smoke in 7th grade, but that doesn't really count. However, I remember the Summer of 7th grade, I tried smoking a butt off the pavement, which made me realize its addictive potential.

Long live ganj goods. May bacco be short lived in my life. That being said, it's still pretty magical to communicate with a plant in such a powerful way.

you get a sore head when you smell a bad smell? of course it's psychological.

i agree with those who say cold turkey is the best way to quit.

done that several times, and it always lasted for some years.

and then, i always slowly began smoking again by first smoking pot. this sucks!

it's just too damn hard to pass on a joint...

but this time i've quit for good. had this tuberculosis thing last winter, where i was in hospital for almost 3 weeks without a diagnosis but a pleuritis. So i was thinking lung cancer or something and it freaked me the hell out. my roommate in the hospital was a 50 year old guy, heavy smoker... he went there for colon surgery, but then eneded up in intensive care and nearly died, because his lungs were so fucked up that he developed a serious pneumonia from the anaesthetics. This too, freaked me the hell out.

so yeah:

appreciate the importance of healthy lungs.

you only have one pair. as long as you're young they'll recover from some smoking, but once they're fucked, they're fucked!

and this TBC thing, let me tell you, it really, really is a bad feeling not to be able to breathe properly.

• 6 months later...

it's all just willpower.

if you start smoking again, you apparently didn't really want to quit

- stopped smoking 02 September, 2013 (first smoked in 2009 or something)

I've 'tried' stopping before, but then some shit happened and I just didn't give a fuck anymore, hence the willpower is required in order to stop

Haven't smoked in 77 days.

Am thinking that I can delete the reminder in my Habit Streak Plan app. But in the last couple of days I've had a little desire to smoke a hash spliff. Can I allow myself a spliff? I won't buy any tobacco, I'll probably just use some old stuff I've had in a drawer.

smoking weed simply adds nothing to your life. it only adds something to your life when you are smoking weed, and that is the fact that you need your weed to feed your weed addiction. when you are not weeding, you don't need weed.

that's my simple weed.

lel. reading that back now. it's pretty wondrous to see all the shit i said in the recent months here.

I concur though; weed is fucking kill too. Haven't smoked that since October 11th. Still catch myself thinking "hmm, it would be good", but I don't think I need to anymore.. I hope so, because it fucks me up royally.

Archived